ryan_j

Wal-Mart buying ammo, are you ever asked for your FID?

I live in the NY/NJ/PA tri-state area in sussex county, and Wal-mart in Milford PA is where I do a lot of shopping. Yeah, it's wal-mart, I know.

I usually buy ammo there without a problem. But lately one employee has been asking for my FID and comparing both the DL and FID before he sells me the (pistol) ammo. Wal-Mart asks for your DL, and this policy I know. But I've never been asked for a FID card until recently. I asked if it was a policy, and he said, "yes, anything pistol."

Here's the interesting part. Another friend who also lives in NJ (the same town as me actually) goes and buys pistol ammo and is never asked for his FID. Yet another from NJ goes there, deals with the same employee behind the gun counter and never gets asked for his FID when buying pistol ammo.

I bought ammo in other states, and apart from CT I've never been asked for anything other than a driver license (which I know is the Wal-Mart policy). 

So I have to ask you guys, have you ever been asked for your FID when buying ammo at Wal-Mart?

I don't mind showing it but since my two friends aren't asked for it, I am wondering why they are singling me out. I hate to scream "discrimination" but the fact is that my two friends are white and I am not. It may or may not be discrimination, but everything seems to add up. If it is, then I don't know how I would feel about that. I'm a tax paying, law abiding US citizen that just wants to be treated equally. 

I don't always carry my FID with me as I don't want to dog ear it (even though it's laminated) and it's too big to fit in my wallet. Sometimes I go with the family shopping and I might see some ammo and want to pick up a box... if I don't have a FID then I can't buy the ammo. It just seems wrong that my friends are not asked and I am.

Ask to speak to the manager and to confirm that it's actually a policy.

I sent off a note to corporate. Next time I go there I'm going to see the manager.

However, the times in the past when I've contacted HQ in Arkansas they communicated with the store managers who called me and made things right. The last issue was sales tax on yarn. Basically in NJ they're not supposed to collect sales tax on raw material for clothing. We have triplets and my wife knits a lot of stuff for them and getting the tax off saved a few bucks...

Did the asking for DL just start? I've never been asked for ID when buying ammo at Walmart, it has been at least six months since i've bought any though.

Do you look over 21YOA?

One time in NY I was asked for my pistol permit, so I pulled out my FID card. They said it doesn't say pistol on it, so it wasn't acceptable. I took out my florida non resident ccw and that was good enough for them.

From that point on, I told them the ammo is for a rifle and they don't hastle me.

Haven't purchased in Ny since the "Safe Act" has been fly implemented.

Why would they ask for your NJ FID card in PA?

One employee did it, and the same employee didn't ask my other friends who went the same day.  This is what bothers me the most. Why are they asking me and not them? 

I don't care so much about the carding as I do care about them being consistent. I'm not ready to yell "racist" but the fact that my white friends are not carded (only DL, not FID) and I am, consistently by one single employee is a bit suspicious. 

This is 2014. The employee behind the counter has to realize that it's perfectly normal for colored people to buy guns and ammo. 

Probably because he exhibited a NJDL. Another Big Brother watching you.

Yeah that's what would trigger it, but only one employee behind the counter does it and among my friends who buy at the same store, I'm the only one who they "card" like that. 

As a non Caucasian I also had a problem like that in different places. I end up not spending my money there. My advice is be a squeaky wheel. These people do not need to get away with this type of behavior.

Does anyone know why NJ Walmarts don't sell anything?

Probably too many hoops to jump through, for not enough ROI. 

They do sell shooting supplies like targets, protective gear, gun cleaning supplies and equipment, clothing, holsters and cases but no guns and ammo. 

"Walmart" and "consistent with their corporate policies"?

Those are not used in one sentence together.

Even at some point when Walmarts in other states were selling long guns to NJ residents (I checked with one of NC Walmarts at that point), Walmart near Easton, PA had a shady piece of paper printed out from one of their internal email exchange in their sporting goods department. I don't remember exact wording now, but it said something like "As long as we had an issue somewhere with CA residents, we stop selling firearms to NJ residents in PA.". Period.

I tried to contact their corporate, spoke with one lady over the phone (it seems she was just gathering details on the complaint) and never heard back from them later.

Never asked for FID in any Walmart in PA, Asked to see DL for age verification couple times, but I look well over 21. During heart of the panic PA Walmart in Easton and Quakertown refused to sell NJ residents ammo on few occasions. Don't know if that was for everyone or just me.

Store and corporate policy is to ask for a DL. This is in PA. 

I have bought ammo from about 30 different Walmarts all over PA (east of the Susquehanna) from north to south and in West Virginia. At least 100 times. I have never been asked for ID, or if I was I didn't show it and told them to buzz off. I know for sure they never refused to sell me ammo. I don't carry ID.

This is over the past 8 years including last month.

I know I have been asked 2 or three times over all those years if ammo was for a pistol or a rifle. It pops up on their screen but they never ask. All 2 or three times I told them it was for a machinegun.

The clerk just got two rules mixed up.

NJ residents have to show FID to buy a long gun out of state.  He probably sold a couple of shotguns to NJ residents and was told to get the FID.

You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo so Walmart asks for DL from everyone.

He remembered that there's some sort of wierd rule when NJ people buy stuff but mixed up the long gun rule with the ammo rule for NJ residents.

I know it's not Walmart policy to get FID because I've bought ammo in 5 states at Walmart and no FID required.

The clerk just got two rules mixed up.

NJ residents have to show FID to buy a long gun out of state. He probably sold a couple of shotguns to NJ residents and was told to get the FID.

You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo so Walmart asks for DL from everyone.

He remembered that there's some sort of wierd rule when NJ people buy stuff but mixed up the long gun rule with the ammo rule for NJ residents.

I know it's not Walmart policy to get FID because I've bought ammo in 5 states at Walmart and no FID required.

I highly doubt it's a mixup. My friends bought the same pistol ammo at the same store and were only asked for DL. He asked for my DL and when he saw it was a nj one he asked for FID. I asked the guy if it was a new policy he said, "yeah anything pistol."

Walmart doesn't sell pistols, at least that one doesn't.

Probably too many hoops to jump through, for not enough ROI. 

They do sell shooting supplies like targets, protective gear, gun cleaning supplies and equipment, clothing, holsters and cases but no guns and ammo. 

Walmart here in Mt. Olive barely sells knives let alone anything gun related. Wish they would.