InFamous

S&W SD9 VE

Anyone here personally own this "budget" 9mm? My wife and I went to the store the other day for her to feel out some 9mm for when her permit comes and she actually like this one the best. The 4 or 5 reviews/youtbube videos I've read/watched seem to hold this gun in pretty high regards for what it is. Basically, a first timers intro 9mm...which is exactly what her purchase is intended for. Seems, the only gripe about the pistol is the trigger which can be fixed for a $20 spring.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757962_-1_757752_757751_image

223900_01_lg.jpg

I have one in 40 S&W, it has no safety and it can also fire without the mag in it. I have put close to 1000 rounds through mine and it has had no major problems. You also get used to the trigger, well atleast I did.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

My wife won't really know the difference as far as the trigger is concerned. I guess my biggest concern is the lack of a safety on it...but maybe that's just more being paranoid about the "what ifs" instead of trusting the common sense and training aspect. Everything I've read or seen on this pistol is it's an ultra reliable pistol at a great price. 

Talking to my wife, she feels uncomfortable without a safety on the gun. Are there any comparable ones similar price/size with a safety? Might have to go back to the store and start trying out what fits her again.

Try a CZ 75 or a CZ P01. They are more expensive than SD 9VE but CZs are about the most ergonomic guns around. The P01 comes with a decocker but I believe can be converted to a safety.

Ask yourself this though. If you ever have a to rely on your handgun in a stressfull life or death situation, do you really want to worry about a safety? Your mind is the only safety you should always relly on. If you follow the four safety rules of firearms, your safe.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

I have both the CZ 75 and P01. I shoot at Easton Game and Fish and at Heritage Guild in Easton. If you would like to check them out some time, let me know. Good luck with your search.

Depending on how experienced / comfortable with handguns your wife is, she may want to consider a revolver. Shooting 38s through a 357 is very smoothe and low recoiling. Revolvers are also simple to understand and care for. My wife doesn't like semi autos because of the flying brass. My revolver, no problem. She understands that. While revolvers don't have a safety they are an excellent first handgun.

Talking to my wife, she feels uncomfortable without a safety on the gun. Are there any comparable ones similar price/size with a safety? Might have to go back to the store and start trying out what fits her again.

Beretta PX4 compact or full size. Has manual safety.

1) External safeties are really pointless. The gun is no more safe nor less safe with a manual external safety. In fact I think it harms you because both of you seem to think the "safety" makes you safer. It doesn't, only you can make things be safe by correct and safe gun handling. Plenty of people have hurt themselves or other with guns with "safeties". Stop thinking of it as a good thing, because it may lead you to be unsafe.

2) For not a lot more money you can purchase an M&P. It is more customizable for hand fit, more support from the market at large, and all together a better gun. Also, if you really want to, it comes with a manual safety.  Ok, so it is a $200 more then the one you linked. However you can pick a police trade in for a song.

Thanks for all the great input so far. We have a little bit before we make the purchase so all the info is great. I don't want to go crazy price wise because being her first gun, who knows if she'll shoot it once or want to go to the range every week. RTSP has a used M&P 9C, so we'll see if she can take a look at that.

For my first gun I wanted a combo de-cocker/safety.  I wanted the ability to drop the hammer and make the gun safe without having to clear it.  2 years later I still like having that ability however am far less fixated on it.  Taking it one step further have been times during comp's when I've left the safety engaged and it's cost me time to correct the malf.  Good thing it was only a comp and not life or death.

There is a saying that safety's kill.

I think the best safety is proper training, awareness, and a disciplined trigger finger.  

The S&W SD9VE and the Ruger SR9 were both on my list, but I went with the Ruger P95 over both of them. It just felt better in my hand and I like the trigger better. It's out of production, but there are quite a few new old stock to be found. I paid about $300 for mine. If I had the money I would have gone with the M&P.

The S&W SD9VE and the Ruger SR9 were both on my list, but I went with the Ruger P95 over both of them. It just felt better in my hand and I like the trigger better. It's out of production, but there are quite a few new old stock to be found. I paid about $300 for mine. If I had the money I would have gone with the M&P.

I have both the S&W SD and the Ruger SR (fullsize and compact) in .40. All are good weapons that eat everything I feed them.

The SRs have a much better trigger and an external safety. they also have an adjustable backstrap for a more customized fit. They handle recoil much better than the S&W. My wife is petite and loves her SR40. I assume the 9mm will have even less recoil.

Take a look at the Ruger SR9. You can get one brand new for under $375 with some patience and smart shopping.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a deal on the Ruger SR9. She held that also while we were there but said the grip was too large. The grip strap was curved out and I think that was why, or she's saying she didn't like it cause she knows the SR9 is one of the guns on my list and knows I'll end up shooting it more then her LOL! 

If you see any deals in the Morris County area on the SR9 let me know. One of us will be interested.

Her permit came in today, so we'll obviously be purchasing within the next few months. There's another gun she wants to see/hold first before completely deciding. Once we buy hers I'm going to go apply for more purchase permits for myself. I can't be using the HK as my primary range gun. I'll end up having to take too many breaks cause it'll heat up and I'd rather not put a ton of wear on a gun that's only going to go up in value.

Anyone here personally own this "budget" 9mm? My wife and I went to the store the other day for her to feel out some 9mm for when her permit comes and she actually like this one the best. The 4 or 5 reviews/youtbube videos I've read/watched seem to hold this gun in pretty high regards for what it is. Basically, a first timers intro 9mm...which is exactly what her purchase is intended for. Seems, the only gripe about the pistol is the trigger which can be fixed for a $20 spring.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757962_-1_757752_757751_image

223900_01_lg.jpg

Actually my first handgun...  I like it and its a keeper.

8fbxNM4.jpg

given a lot of positive talk from people who's opinions I trust, I'm even considering getting one myself to add to my "intro to guns" kit. certainly a better choice than Hi Point when it comes to showing what an "inexpensive" gun costs. :D

Yup, everything I've read is very positive. My wifes P2P expires the end of the month so I'd like to find a deal on it before then, otherwise I'll make her apply for an extension. I'm really down with this as an inexpensive 9mm. 

That's not too bad, I'm trying to find something around $350 or less out the door. Probably the best I've found was around the same price. I know you can get em for $300ish plus nics and tax ect. Maybe not in NJ though.

That's not too bad, I'm trying to find something around $350 or less out the door. Probably the best I've found was around the same price. I know you can get em for $300ish plus nics and tax ect. Maybe not in NJ though.

Contact remixer he can make it happen.  The Ruger 9E and the EAA SARK2 9mm should be in that range OTD, I think or very close to it.

Contact remixer he can make it happen.  The Ruger 9E and the EAA SARK2 9mm should be in that range OTD, I think or very close to it.

Steve currently has a VERY nice Ruger 9E, new in the box, which is essentially a less-expensive SR9.  I looked at it Saturday and was very tempted, but I am in OGAM jail until early December.

A nice review is here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/30/new-ruger-9e-low-cost-ruger-sr9/