Sign in to follow this  
Kingsoverqueens

Setting a front site

So I've got an M&P Pro 9 with a lose front site.  It's a Trijicon and has what appears to be "H3 10" on it.  The print is real small and my eye's aren't so good with small print like that.

Anyway, there doesn't appear to be a set screw to tighten.

Not sure what to do.

Crazy glue?

I believe all M&P front sights are pressed on, no set screw to tighten. You can try removing the front sight, degreasing it completely and reinstalling it. If it's still loose, then your dovetail might be a bit oversized. Send to M&P for repairs, they might give you a new slide.

Got just the solution! You need Green Loctite. Had the problem on my Trijicons on my Colt Govt.

Put slight pressure with a clamp wrapped in leather or rag so doesn't move. Dribble some green loctite from bottom. Wipe excess from outside.... Let set over night. Use fine emery paper to remove any excess from inside slide and you're good to go.Green Loctite has wicking affect and will find any tiny gaps... Once in, it's like crazy glue plus some.

Opps! If they are slid into dove tail, may also work. Make sure they are dead center and then dribble. I thought the other post meant they where pressed in like a tenon...

does it look like this?

Team-Erhardt-4.jpg

If so, that sight gets pressed on from the side, it's cut in such a way that it ussually comes a bit over sized and you file off a small amount of metal to you can force it into place and it'll be snug enough to stay.

Similar.  

The optical part of the site is round and orange but the installation setting is the same, where it would slide into a grove on the slide.

It moves freely left to right at this point.  Actually, it's completely out of the slide at this moment and sitting on my desk.

It's going to need some adhesive or other mechanical means to fasten it.

Absent that I think the slide probably has to go back to S&W.

I bought the gun used and don't know if these were aftermarket.  Argh.

Mike, easier than sending it back to S&W is to just buy a new front sight. I replaced mine on my M&P. They're dovetail, and a new sight will have to be sized to fit, also use the green locktite. I got mine from Dawson Precision. Their sights are slightly oversized so you will have to file it down to fit. It's not difficult, just take your time and don't force it. 

The old school fix is to take a centerpunch to the bottom of the sight base (the part that goes against the slide). This will raise some metal around the punch crater and tighten the fit in the dovetail.

If you don't have the stock M&P sights, I would wait to try one of those on before contacting S&W. It could be the front sight itself that perhaps was filed down too much that is causing it to be loose.

Will check the box for the original sights but I don't think I have them.

I'm also going to check youtube for pizzabob's idea.  Someone likey has done that before and posted a video.  Seems like solutions to all the worlds problems can be had on the youtubz. 

I also sent an email to S&W but I'm really not motivated to send the slide back.  I'll probably epoxy the shit out of the sight I have or go with AS350's suggestion and buy a new front sight from Dawson.  For $50 that seems to be the most reasonable. 

Bob, your idea worked.  Thanks to you and Louu for the videos.

S&W wanted me to send the slide to them to see if it would be warranty repair.  Decided to fix it myself.

If it comes lose again I'll order a replacement from Dawson like Frank suggested.  I bookmarked their site for future reference.

Thanks again guys.