Sharrie*1

First Ar-308 Build And Problems Already

Ok, so I just built my first AR-308. Used all good components such as a matched si defense upper and lower (purchased from a guy on this forum) SI Defense BCG Ranier ultra match stainless barrel, apex hand guard seekins muzzle device ...I think you get the idea, I went top of the line. Anyhow, put it all together and took it to the range. I fired exactly one round. The round blew the primer out. (PRVI - PPM80 ammo) The case is currently stuck in the chamber. I purchased an oak dowel as I read on many forms is the ticket. I proceeded to break the dowel, and the case did not budge.

I am at a loss here. I did buy the Clymer go, no-go head spacing tools and it checked out all good. I don't know what to do at this point short of taking it to a gunsmith.

Ugh, your firing pin pierced the primer(and it blew out) or you've got too much headspace.  I tend to think the latter because the casing is stuck.

Is the broken dowel stuck down the hole or did you just obliterate the end from  hammering on it?

No the primer did not pierce the primer, just blew it out.

The dowel is not stuck (fell right out), it just broke as I hit it with a mallet

I was thinking headspace, but I checked it and the go went, and the no-go did not

Maybe it is the ammo?  I've never fired the Prvi stuff but it could have been a bad round.

It's interesting that your extractor could not pull the round.  I had a similar issue with the first round I fired but that was because the system was under gassed.  I had to put a wood block on the charging handle and tap until the bolt extracted the brass.  This happened a few times until I got enough gas thru to eject the round.

So the casing is stuck in the barrel to the point where an oak down broke?

Brass dowels might be to soft to be used as a pin if the oak one broke.  You might have to try a Steel dowel if its really jammed in there.

you might even want to try putting the end of the rod in dry ice for a while then insert down the barrel into the casing and let it sit for a while with the hopes the cold might shrink the casing slightly and allowing it to be pushed out

Thanks all for the responses!!

I put some penetrating oil down the barrel and letting it soak in. Next week I am going to get a aluminum or brass rod to try t push it out. I have brass cleaning rods but do not want to screw them up. As a last resort, I will but if I can find one solid rod I will buy it.

Once I get the case (if I am successful) out, I guess I will need to get the gun checked again for headspace...I followed the proper method but obviously, something isn't right

Cool let me know how you made out. My 308 project is on hold for now.... funds going towards gearing up my reloading equipment. Need to feed that Blackout lol........ Remington fodder is still pricy at least here in central nj. Thats if they have it... wasnt too impressed with the stuff I got from Ozark Ordance. It wasnt bad just had a few failures to eject... before that I broke the rifle in with the 100 rou ds of the Remington and not one problem......

Hello All,

Again thanks for the many suggestions!

So, as I said previously I put some penetrating oil on the barrel. Left it soak nearly a month (2 vacations in between). I went to the store and purchased another brass cleaning kit. Got this one at walley world and it was much cheaper than the one I use. I figured better to destroy a crappy one. Anyhow, a couple of shots from a mallet and the case popped right out.

As of yet that is as far as I have gone...when I know more I will post my findings.

Thanks again

Cool let me know how you made out. My 308 project is on hold for now.... funds going towards gearing up my reloading equipment. Need to feed that Blackout lol........ Remington fodder is still pricy at least here in central nj. Thats if they have it... wasnt too impressed with the stuff I got from Ozark Ordance. It wasnt bad just had a few failures to eject... before that I broke the rifle in with the 100 rou ds of the Remington and not one problem......

Why would you buy a .300 blackout if you have no can?

Thanks T bill... and yes your right diffrent choices in load data and performance... I can run supers and subs in my blackout now so when i move to a free state i can just twist on a suppressor if i want.... and have you seen the faces on people at the range when a blackout round slams into a steel plate???? Try it you will like it ....lol

and have you seen the faces on people at the range when a blackout round slams into a steel plate???? Try it you will like it ....lol

Which range has steel plates for you to shoot?

The coolest thing is shooting a sub sonic round out of that.  It makes a noise that sounds like nothing else.  I was at Easton and everyone wanted to know what that was.