gleninjersey

Ruger GP100 38 Special

While not a smoking hot deal still not a bad price. If you never intend to shoot 357 this may interest you. Rugged, reliable and well made the Ruger GP100 in 38 Special iwould make an excellent starter gun for someone new to firearms or for someone looking for something other than a 22 to start their newbie friends on when you take them to the range. The weight soaks up a great deal of the recoil. Well balanced in the hand. Classic revolver.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=1728&scode=itemID&utm_source=icontact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_specials

I believe Davidsons Guns also come with a lifetime guarantee. You'll probably never need it with this gun but it's there just in case.

Don't know how much things have changed in the year since I purchased mine (in 357) but I couldn't locate a GP100 with a 4 inch barrel in stainless finish last year any where for quite a while.

Yes there is a Lifetime guarantee from davidson's, While the price is a bit higher on those guns the warranty is well worth it.

Sometimes we can get that firearm from different distros cheaper if the warranty is not important if the manufacture gives you a great warranty in the first place. :)

Take note: When you use that system to order the firearm make sure its a REAL total price... Some sellers do not include the Nics fee in the price. Our Price would be Out the Door. (zipcode 07751)

Paid less than that at heritage for the .357 model.

Me too.  Doesn't this gun seem like a solution in search of a problem?  Why pay more for a .38spl model when you can shoot .38 out of a .357 all day long?

Paid less than that at heritage for the .357 model.

Less than what? The MSRP? I would certainly hope so. There are several FFLs listed though who are selling at much less than MSRP. One has already commented that he could sell for even less than what is listed on Davidson's if one isn't concerned about Davidaon's lifetime warranty.

Rugers already come with a pretty good warranty. May be for life if original buyer....not positive about that though.

As far as why anyone would buy this 38 Special as oppossed to a 357. Some peiple may never want to shoot 357 rounds, so why purchase one.

For what sounds like $500-$550ish one is getting a rugid, reliable and well made revolver that will outlast anyone on this forum. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Nice gun for SSR division in IDPA. I don't like to shoot sub-caliber ammunition in a gun (I.e. .38 in .357 or .44 Spl in .44 Mag). Personal preference and I hate to clean the gunk out of the chamber after shooting the shorter ammo.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have to agree with Bob on this. And not just because the carbon rings. 

I shoot a lot of .357s. But, like most people, I shoot 38s even more. And I load .38 +Ps in my HD guns.  So I have plenty of use for .38 special revolvers.

I'll add that one of the things I like about that model in particular is the fixed rear sight.

And Glen is right about the price.

I've paid just a little less for a 4" GP, but it was blued, not stainless. I'm pretty sure that's as cheapest I've seen a stainless GP100.

Rugers already come with a pretty good warranty. May be for life if original buyer....not positive about that though.

Ruger actually doesn't have an official warranty.

However, they'll fix just about any gun you send in so long as it's not owner abuse. Doesn't matter when or where you got it either.

Nice gun for SSR division in IDPA. I don't like to shoot sub-caliber ammunition in a gun (I.e. .38 in .357 or .44 Spl in .44 Mag). Personal preference and I hate to clean the gunk out of the chamber after shooting the shorter ammo.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What's the best method of cleaning the gunk out of the chambers after shooting the shorter rounds? 

Ruger actually doesn't have an official warranty.

However, they'll fix just about any gun you send in so long as it's not owner abuse. Doesn't matter when or where you got it either.

Ruger does have a good service staff. they even covered Nics and transfer costs for a customers 10/22 that was unable to be repaired

Scrub, scrub, scrub.

I have tried that. I still have issues with some .357 ammo fitting snug in the cylinder after firing a bunch of .38. Aluminum cased.357 is tight, brass is fine. I just want to get it clean enough to shoot the rest of the aluminum cased stuff and will never buy it again. I promise.

Cleaning cylinder is a pain.  Seems like the stuff is ironed on.  Soak, soak, soak.  Sometimes it takes quite a while to penetrate that residue.  I even had a problem with the rotation of the cylinder from buildup.  Used a 40 cal brush on a low speed drill to loosen it up. 

Now I use downloaded 357 brass instead.

Soak, scrub, soak scrub, soak scrub.

Going to use FireClean next time after cleaning.  I have seen big improvement with the AR bolts so hoping it will with the wheelie.