Jfoster99

Ramsey Outdoos lack of ATF law (Thumbs Down!!)

I was educated here at NJGF re being able to purchase firearms( rifle or pistol) in NJ as a FL resident as long as I also resided in NJ part time.

Last night while looking to purchase a $3200 AR-15 I was turned away...

I asked to speak to the Dept Manager who began to tell me it was illegal and that my drivers Lic had to match my FOID, period. I politely disagreed and asked if he could look into it further and he refused. I explained the NJSP and my local PD were all telling me to keep my resident FOID with the FL drivers lic and he insisted I had to get a non resident FOID to purchase a long gun and pistols were not allowed.

The attitude was very condescending and the 3 man posse now discussing with me were rolling there eyes and giggling as if I was just not getting it as he explained for the third time...

I disengaged and walked the store for a few minutes while I pulled up the ATF Q&A addressing my exact issue and return to show him.

At this point he then said it was the store policy (not against the law).

I think he was just trying to save face at this point since his two cronies were there and he did not want to look as if I just schooled him in his own area of expertise.

I may attempt to talk to him again at some point or email the owner. Not that I really care about this particular rifle but I do like shopping there and have gotten several used pistols from then over the years..

--------------------

ATF Q&A

Q: May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?

A: If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

All I know is that if a person is in the military and lives in state A but he is stationed on permanent duty in State B. He may buy from either state.  http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=758807

Some have claimed that if a person lives in two states (non military situation) A drivers license in one state and a non drivers license in another state should satisfy the legalities. I am not a lawyer and that advice should be checked out with a lawyer.

If you really wanted that rifle, could you have just had him ship it to an FFL in Florida?

I explained the NJSP and my local PD were all telling me to keep my resident FOID with the FL drivers lic and he insisted I had to get a non resident FOID to purchase a long gun and pistols were not allowed.

Is there a separate non resident FID card?

When I was first starting out with firearms not too long ago I went to there store since it was the closest shop. They were terrible salesmen. Don't engage you. Have nearly zero input about things. No opinions. Just a cranky look. Took them a literal 5 minutes to talk to me , which is too long to be staring at a case and group of old men in my opinion

Love the rest of the store.

KCCO

Both Ramsay and Meltzers are awful. I walked into both stores with cash and a permit in hand, and I then walked out. I was new to NJ, so didn't know any better. Since found many great vendors through NJGF - who are politically involved, know the laws, and care about their customers - no reason to waste time or money with either of those businesses.

THIS is exactly what things like YELP and other social media is for - go ahead and post your experience and tear them a new one.

BTW Ramseys is NOT in Randolph, its in Ledgewood, please don't tarnish my town with crap like them - we only allow high quality places like RTSP in our town :)

While I can't say anything about OP's problem, I recently had a positive experience at the route 17 store when I bought my VP9. I dealt with Ron and I thought he was excellent to deal with. But to be honest, I can see how my experience would have been a lot less positive if I had dealt with some of the other people working there (like the guy who tried to have me fill out a COE when I picked up the gun).

BTW Ramseys is NOT in Randolph, its in Ledgewood, please don't tarnish my town with crap like them - we only allow high quality places like RTSP in our town :)

How is Randolph with permits and issuing a Firearms ID Card? I'm moving there soon.

I drive down to see Tony at TJ Sporting Arms in Bayville for superior customer service. His prices are great too.

No one knows the firearm laws in this state. My FFL recently called the state police firearms unit And talked two officers there and got totally opposing answers to the same question. THAT is screwed up!

So I'm curious, I saw two different non-US citizen customers at Ramsey Outdoor who weren't allowed to complete their transactions because they didn't have their greencards. They had FIDs, permits, matching DL and everything, but not their greencards. Is that consistent with the law?

So I'm curious, I saw two different non-US citizen customers at Ramsey Outdoor who weren't allowed to complete their transactions because they didn't have their greencards. They had FIDs, permits, matching DL and everything, but not their greencards. Is that consistent with the law?

I think it valid because the NICs form has some stuff that has to be checked if you claim to not be a citizen, but I have never read it.

I think it valid because the NICs form has some stuff that has to be checked if you claim to not be a citizen, but I have never read it.

If you are not a US Citizen I think you need to show proof, I remember reading about a guy that had to bring his gas/electric bills for 3 or 6 months in with him to buy a gun before (along with a green card) this wasn't in NJ some other state..

I do ok at the Ramsay outdoor in Succasunna. But one of the guys at the gun counter is one of my buddies. He knows my taste in firearms and i always get a text message if something he knows im into comes in at a good price. I still don't buy much from them as far as guns go. Occasionally I buy some hunting gear from them if I need it quickly, my tree stand is in the woods 5 min from that store.

I always feel intimidated going in there. If I walk from the front door to the firearms department you can literally pass 8-10 employees. All of them are usually just BS'n with eachother, or the 3-4 of the ones behind the firearms counter talking/ignoring you until you walk up. Then they have always looked at me like I was going to try and steal something. I only had one nice conversation at the gun counter, and their Ruger 10/22 price was about $30 overpriced. I've only bought small accessory type stuff from there. 

Succasunna/Ledgewood location.

Back in 1983 I purchased a pellet rifle from the Paramus store, having only been my 4th or 5th gun purchase since I got my first FID card I was kind of  new to the whole stupid process, especially for a pellet rifle. well now about 30 years later I find out the knucklehead behind the counter actually did a "voluntary" registration form and now that pellet rifle is on my file of all the pistols I purchased in NJ.     the last thing anybody wants is a registered gun and these knuckleheads did it.

Back in 1983 I purchased a pellet rifle from the Paramus store, having only been my 4th or 5th gun purchase since I got my first FID card I was kind of  new to the whole stupid process, especially for a pellet rifle. well now about 30 years later I find out the knucklehead behind the counter actually did a "voluntary" registration form and now that pellet rifle is on my file of all the pistols I purchased in NJ.     the last thing anybody wants is a registered gun and these knuckleheads did it.

What a POS to do that to you, I've NEVER had a store ask me to register a long gun. Actually, when I purchased my first firearm I asked about registration and the guy told me "never register a firearm!".

So now when you pass on, NJSP or the local PD will come looking for a pellet gun bought in '83...gotta love NJ.