Sandy

PSA for New Owners

About buying safes.

When we purchased our first firearms , the first hand gun safe we bought was a Stack On biometric one that you can get on Amazon Prime for about 120 bucks shipped. Having learned they are not  the best we have since purchased others that are better.

It is still bolted to my floor though and I keep things in it that are not guns but I don't want touched by the kids. Like my training flashlights , extra magazines , holsters and such that are leaded up.  Well , last night I wanted to get into it and the thumb pad just died . No lights , no battery warning had been going off , nothing. Just died in a split second.

So I went to my class , came home , looked up how to break into it on youtube , and was in the safe rather quickly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-g-BNTCtE

Then I closed it again and simply wailed on it with a rubber mallet and it popped right open ..admittedly after I worked up a sweat . A kid kicking it hard could have accomplished the same thing. Yes , it is bolted to the floor.

Don't buy these Barska knockoffs . Especially if you have kids. Especially if you don't want to walk in on a burgler who just broke into your safe and is now holding your gun.  It just is not worth the savings in this departemnt.

I much prefer "used and abused" commercial grade safes.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/for/4600961176.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/bfs/4615426977.html

Yeah, they're heavy, DAMN heavy.  If you watch craiglist though you will be able to find a good deal here and there.  Most of these are dial combination safes.  You're not going to break into them with a rubber mallet.  In addition, they're not "residential security containers". 

some search terms:

Mosler

Meilink

Amsec

Yale

Diebold

Herring Hall Marvin

Buy once, cry once. People spend thousands on their guns yet balk at the idea of investing in a good safe. I never understood that. Funny aside but when the BATFE was here conducting a compliance inspection, one of the IOIs noted that our primary safe actually qualifies as an explosives locker. And here I am, thinking about getting a type 10 FFL and explosives license... :rofl:

Years and years ago I heard a saying which has stuck with me: "Locks are not to keep thieves out, they are merely to keep honest people honest".  Anyone that truly wants to get your stuff will, the question is how difficult do you need to make it for them?  You need to be able to come up with a good answer to that in order to determine what type of containment vessel you want to invest in.

I've got a Barska "locking cabinet" (aka safe) that has a keypad, biometric reader, and keypad.  Speaking of keypad, didn't your's have a key to open it Sandy?

I don't consider these things to be true safes, rather they are fairly secure locking containers.  They will keep a kid out, they will keep the maid out, they will keep a casual person from gaining access, but they will NOT keep a determined individual with a little time out.  But then again, if someone has time they will get through anything.

My biometric floor safe is only to keep my gun out of reach of kids and strangers. I know it would be gone if a burglar had sufficient time. 

Sandy, do you mean that first your safe was a Barska knockoff? Or that Barska was a knockoff of a better brand? 

Never mind, just saw your last post. 

Thanks

Mine is the Barska, but I don't consider it a safe, rather a deterrent.  My wife would go absolutely ape shit if I bolted it the floor, so I have done the next best thing.  It sits in a corner next to my dresser.  I have bolted a pair of 8' long 2"x"4's to it that run behind my dresser.  The only way someone would get it out would be to move the heavy dresser and then either cut the two-by-fours or try to walk through the entire house lugging this box with the wood attached. Sure it can be done, but its a darn good deterrent.  Actually it might be better than bolting to the wood floor as a good crowbar would solve that problem.  But again, its a deterrent and that is what I bought it for.

My main concern was kids , then detterent . The stack on is neither IMO. My 6 year old could easily wiggle a paper clip in there the way I did . It was a newbie mistake , which is why I shared it here :) Certain things you should really spend a bit more on , a safe is one of them.

My main concern was kids , then detterent . The stack on is neither IMO. My 6 year old could easily wiggle a paper clip in there the way I did . It was a newbie mistake , which is why I shared it here :) Certain things you should really spend a bit more on , a safe is one of them.

OK, so what do all of you here use for portable safes?  I had the same issue... There is another analysis video on YouTube that goes into further detail and covers more safes. The problem is, none of these videos offer a solution for the problems they raise... i assume it's in order to cover themselves in the event what they recommend fails, and they get sued or whatever. :dontknow:

So, I won't ask "what do you recommend" but, rather, "What do you use" for Portable safes? What do you keep at your bedside? What would you use to transport securely in your car, or if staying at  temporary lodging ( a hotel, etc.)?

Just curious... :D  Thanks.

Well , that is the thing ..these Stack On Safes are not suppose to be portable . They are supposed to be bolted to the floor or wall studs. For portability I use a Gunvault with a finger pressed key combo . It has a cable to secure it to something permanent or at least heavy. I feel that one will keep my kids out , but it is still just a detterent againt smash and grab and run type break ins. The only kind of safes that are going to keep out a skilled thief with time on his hands and tools is the kind that costs 4 figures.

My main intention with this message was to illustrate that if your kid can jiggle a paperclip , he/she can get into this safe. Something like a Barska will keep a kid out and be a bit of a theft deterrent .Has to be bolted or secured though. Otherwise they just walk out with it. Kind of like chaining your bike to a parking meter.

Well , that is the thing ..these Stack On Safes are not suppose to be portable. They are supposed to be bolted to the floor or wall studs.

I was thinking of this model: Stack On PC-650

Unfortunately, it was the 1st safe they cracked open in the YT video I mentioned. :(  I own a couple of them. But I checked, and it does seem they've made some improvements to them (the reset button is not as accessible from the main crack it is recessed inside a covering for those mechanisms). Not sure about the plastic covering over the buttons (i.e. how easy it might be to pry off), but it would definitely take some kind of tool to make it happen. I also don't know if there are any holes underneath it.

For "near the bedside," I have a GunVault GV2000C-DLX.  Both with battery and AC adapter. Finger pads only, non biometric (I was warned about biometric safes in my training classes). There is no longer a hole with access to the reset button. Perhaps the covering over the finger buttons could be lifted but, again, I don't believe it's covering any holes that give access to the reset button or the latching mechanism. It does have mounting bolt holes on the bottom, and I can use those to mount it to the floor of the nightstand. I also have two key only operated mini-safes. Both could be pried with tools, but it would take a considerable effort, and there are no electronics involved.

All of these and my ammo, (except the duty weapon) are inside a secure crawl space area in the foundation of my townhouse (surrounded by cinder block) with a secure door attached. Since I will, eventually, GTFO NJ :D, I will consider the big "long gun" safe upon that event. My only long gun at present is my 930 12G.  But since I do travel with my "inventory" out of state, I need portable solutions for the car, hotels, and for where I say while away.

Not sure I buy the warnings on biometrics. I have never had mine not open with my fingers. Mine stores 32 images and I have both thumbs and index fingers stored with five or six different positions on the sensor. Also it has the keypad just incase.

I program all fingers on mine multiple times . I even let Pete have a few lol It has like 110 prints in it.

You actually allow Pete to have access to guns when you are not around?  That sounds very reckless to me! ;)