mikka1

GSSF Match in Topton, PA this weekend (Aug 16-17). Anyone going?

Just realized this weekend (Aug 16-17, 2014) there will be a Glock GSSF match in Topton, PA. I missed the one in Central Jersey this June, so was tempting to give this one a try - I've never been to GSSF matches before.

On the other hand, driving ~90 miles each way does not sound fun really. So I am apparently looking for excuses to go or not to go, LOL.

Anyone from here going to this match this weekend?

How GSSF matches are usually run? Are they very much different from USPSA matches? Something particular I need to know about if I finally decide to give it a try (apart from not forgetting to take my Glock instead of CZ)? What's the usual round count?

Greatly appreciate any insights!

Irishpete'sboss (nee wife) and I are heading out there Saturday morning. We've never shot a GSSF match before either.

If you look on their web site http://gssfonline.com, scroll to the bottom. There is a link to backissues of their magazine and volume 2 has the rules.

IIRC each division you enter you will need a minimum of 81 rounds but they suggest you bring 150. You can only shoot 2 divisions at a time at each stage before giving up the firing point to the next competitor. My glock is only eligible in competition and unlimited anyway so I'll just enter for the two.

You do have to be a GSSF member and if you joined in the last 12 months you are eligible to enter the new shooter draw for a gun. If you turn up with someone they also get an entry in the draw for bringing a new shooter. If they also joined in three last year you can each get 2 entries by "bringing" the other.

That's about as much as I remember from reading the rules last night.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a lot for the info, I was thinking about getting there on Saturday as well if I go at all.

I only have stock Glock 19 now as my only Glock without any modifications at all, so I guess category will not be an issue.

My glock is only eligible in competition and unlimited anyway so I'll just enter for the two.

Just read this part..I'll have my G41 with me and as we know it fits in your G35 holster. I will also have my G19 and holster..it can be like a Glock Round Robin lol

Oh boy! That was pretty much the whole day wasted.

For some inexplicable reason the match director thinks it is a good idea to have no limit on the number of shooters regardless of the capacity of the range. He told me he had over 430 registrations on Wednesday but thought it would be a good idea to allow walkons anyway. He said he had about 360 shooters today. From what I could see that was about 160 too many.

There were 3 "5 to Glock" bays, 3 "Glock M" bays and 2 plate racks. I arrived at 12:15, got signed in within 10 minutes and went to sign into each of the bays. Between 12:40 and 3:20 I did nothing but wait. At 3:20 I got to shoot "5 to Glock" (3 x 10 rounds). Then I waited some more but it was not so bad this time and I shot "Glock M" by 4:15. Then I went to the plate rack stage. There were 38 people waiting to shoot ahead of me some of whom had signed into the stage before 11am. At the RO estimated 5 minutes per shooter with 2 racks running that's a wait of another hour and a half. Therefore I wouldn't be done until after 6.

6 hours to shoot 3 stages is ridiculous.

I gave up and left without completing the match and will not be going back.

I wound up with puking kids at 4 am and had to bail on Stu , and now it is my turn to have a bit of a stomach party. It sounds like I had the better day . I owe Stu a day of his life back as this was my idea lol

If it's the day you've had, color me ungrateful, but you can keep it. :huh:

I wound up with puking kids at 4 am and had to bail on Stu , and now it is my turn to have a bit of a stomach party. It sounds like I had the better day . I owe Stu a day of his life back as this was my idea lol

Love the new Sig :)

I got here at 1:50 figuring I would breeze through. They had a record amount of entries. Ended at 701. Glock benefits people who come early so it is what it is.

I sucked it up big time after cutting my hand. So I'm basically hoping for a raffle. Lol

It took 5 hours from when I signed up for plates to get to my name.

All that being said, it was fun and I will do more. Their previous best was 450 shooters 2 years ago. This event was 66% more than that. That is a lot more.

If you were there, you may have noticed the ROs writing a number next to your name, that was the time they got you to the tree, and it will be looked at by Block to get an idea of wait times.

Yes that is new for this year. There are complaints from people about wait times and Glock Corp wanted info.

There were guys putting an X next to their name and walking away. This allows them to basically run through the place when guys like you and I get stuck waiting.

Yeah that was really bad. At one point, the RO was one name away from mine, after calling about 15 people who had an X but are not there. He got to the person before me, added them to the tree, and I was going to be next. Right up until about 10 of those 15 people strolled up and all jumped in front of me again.

That part needs to change. If you put an X next to your name and aren't there when called, your name should go back to the bottom.

Yeah, but 26 random guns and 165 $50 prizes, on top of performance prizes is a draw.

The downside is there were a lot of people who didn't shoot for performance, which dragged things a bit.

One woman comes to mind on plates. She was running in the 20+ second range for 6 plates. Nbd, except she ran like 4 divisions, 4 runs per division, so she took a loooooong time. There were a lot of others, but this one stuck in my mind because I was behind her on the tree, lol.

Sounds like the match director should of put a cap on the number of competitors allowed to compete.

I suggested that to him and he said not a chance. I guess the lure of 700 * $25 is just too much to resist. If the GSSF stuff is geared to people new to competition I guess they can get away with it because the new guys and gals don't know that standing around for hours on end is not normal.

I know I'm not going back. It's not like they even put much imagination into the stages - it's the same three every match.

Just a quick calculation based on what the SOs kept saying - 5 minutes per shooter per stage:

2 days of 8 hours each = 16 hours of shooting. 12 shooters per hour = 192 shooters. They had 2 plate racks so could handle 2 shooters simultaneously so total capacity for the weekend would be 384. If they had 700+ sign-ups they are getting close to twice as many shooters as they could handle.

The MD told me they had over 450 registrations on Wednesday. He should have closed entry then and let it be known that walk-ons could not be accommodated.

I'm in the camp that if she spent her money, she should be able to shoot. I know it sucks but the Glock match is really meant for the new/ novice shooters to come out and have fun.

I totally agree. I was just pointing out that the newer shooters, who were not really interested in performance, was one of the reasons for the length of the day.

And I think that all these people and more should come out to matches. Hell, I am pretty new myself. I totally support them. But it is a drag on the day.