Sign in to follow this  
Lecky

Transfer

Good morning all, my father has a smith and Wesson air weight 38cal snub nose revolver, it was his very first gun, and He wants to transfer it over to me. This gun has a lot of sentiment to me because it's the first gun I ever shot . He's had it for 35+ years. I am wondering what the process is to have him transfer it to me, he lives in New York? Thank you.

Contact one of the FFLs on the site - your father drives it to him, he logs it in, you supply the pistol permit, do the NICS, pay a small transfer fee and it's transferred legally.

Alternate method:  Your father wills it to you specifically in his will.  He passes on (God forbid), it now becomes yours, free and clear, unencumbered by NJ law, no need for a permit.

Have your dad check with the county he lives in whether or not he needs to do anything with them to transfer it out. Since all handguns must be registered in New York, some counties want to know when you sell one off so they can note it in their records.

FYI. I was told it would NOT be legal for him to drive the gun to NJ and hand to an FFL.   It must be shipped.  I'm not sure if it has to do with NY laws or NJ laws and Transportation

For the 20 bucks in shipping why risk it.

On a side note: You seem to be pretty close to me, i would be happy to accept the firearm and hold for transfer till you get permits,