The prohibition is for hollow point and dumdum bullets. Hornady Critical Defense/Duty are dumdums not HP. The same goes for EFMJ.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Uh, what? Didn't the NJSP say that those use a different method for expansion and are not HPs? 

So exemption (2) above talks about "keeping" the ammo at home.   Doesn't mention "using" the ammo...   food for thought there...

I just load up with Hornady Critical Defense instead, which is (unofficially at least) not considered hollow point.

If you're worried about using hollow points, then CD rounds are no different. The statute mentions "dum dum" rounds which are any round that designed to expand. There they are the same under the law. 

For anyone questioning if someone would NOT get charged with a crime... Here is an excerpt from a case in 2008 where a gentlemen defending his home was NOT charged with a crime.

The 66-year-old homeowner has hired attorney Evan F. Nappen of Eatontown, who specializes in gun law. No charges have been filed against the homeowner.

Ocean County Medical Examiner Dr. Hydow Park described the manner of death as a “homicide,” said Capt. Thomas Hayes of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. The manner of death can be listed as one of five designations: homicide, suicide, natural, accidental and undetermined.

A homicide designation indicates that one person caused the death of another. “Homicide” does not determine criminality, Hayes said.

Nappen said he is prepared to defend his client, who he said was well within his rights to shoot the intruder, Tucker, in “self defense.”

Nappen said his client was “truly afraid” for his own welfare when he found Tucker in his home.

“He is not someone who, in any way, is happy that he had to cause harm to another person,” Nappen said of his client. Tucker’s passing “is not something that makes him happy. But, when it comes down to it and your life is in danger, you have to defend yourself.”

New Jersey law states that an individual who discovers an unwanted person in their home has the right to presume they are in “imminent danger” and to take the steps to protect themselves, Nappen said.

“If they are in your home, there is a presumption of imminent danger,” Nappen said. The law puts a heavy burden on the prosecutor to prove that the intruder posed no threat to the homeowner who lawfully defends himself, he said.

“He was definitely in fear of his life and rightly so,” Nappen said.

This also happened in Ocean County. This county is not usually know for over zealous prosecutions.  Other counties are quite a different matter.

If you're worried about using hollow points, then CD rounds are no different. The statute mentions "dum dum" rounds which are any round that designed to expand. There they are the same under the law.

Then you're also screwed with lead round nose and soft points as well.

Then you're also screwed with lead round nose and soft points as well.

I think it was the judge in the Aitken case and the full quote (IIRC) is "that are designed to expand more than normal" which makes regular lead ball and hard ball OK.

Uh, thank Paul. Was hoping for a "simple" answer as I don't remember and I'm not really interested in re-reading an old 3 page thread.

Thanks anyway.

:laugh: Same thread as this one, just earlier post.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Hollowpoints are prohibited except for the narrow exemptions. - no argument.

Critical Defense/Critical Duty/EFMJ are not hollowpoints. - no argument

Dumdum bullets are prohibited except for the same narrow exemptions as hollowpoints. - apparently some comprehension problems with some

The Aitken Judge's description of dumdums includes "bullets that expand more than normal".

CD/CD/EFMJ are designed to expand more than normal otherwise what is their purpose?

Apparently Nappen says it is indeed possible to charge a BG with unlawful possesion if you shoot said BG during a home invasion or whatever.

The truth of the matter is once the projectile hits ANYTHING (wall, BG, dirt...) it won't be a hollow point any more, whether clogged with debris or deformed into a mushroom

So you 'wing him,' disarm him, call the police and while you're waiting for them fill all his pockets with hollow point rounds, ensuring that he gets life without parole.

Ah, good point.  Legal unless used in a crime.  Forgot about that angle.

Can we pass a forum rule that bans anybody that says this about hollowpoints?

This has been going on for years and I can't believe it hasn't been stamped out. Maybe we can just bring them to an annual bonfire and burn them at the stake.

BTW, you can have an assault weapon in NJ if you are dressed like the Tooth Fairy.