Sign in to follow this  
302w

Mini-14 Barrel twist rate

My dad has an older Mini-14 that was produced sometime in the late seventies to mind eighties. I'm trying to figure out what the barrel twist rate is, and I am coming up with vague answers. I do not know if it is marked as a Ranch Rifle, but I do know it was sold in NJ with a folding stock and flash hider.

I am hoping it is a 1/10. My AR has a 16A1 barrel on it, so I can't shoot M855. I don't like M855, but I would like to be able to shoot it if I find it somewhere cheap.

Don't believe anything even what's stamped on the barrel...

Measure it, it's super easy...You may be surprised.

I always check my guns, and it is very easy.  I use a brass wire cleaning brush and put a small black mark on the and of cleaning rod (the end near the handle) and when I run the brush down the barrel I count the number of rotations.  As long as you know or can measure barrel length you then have the number of inches per rotation (or rotations per inch) , which you can convert to number of rotations per foot.

I always check my guns, and it is very easy.  I use a brass wire cleaning brush and put a small black mark on the and of cleaning rod (the end near the handle) and when I run the brush down the barrel I count the number of rotations.  As long as you know or can measure barrel length you then have the number of inches per rotation (or rotations per inch) , which you can convert to number of rotations per foot.

Easier way:  Cleaning rod, jag, patch.

Mark the rod with jag and patch.  Push the rod through one revolution mark again.

Measure distance between marks.

One of my 1:9.25" turned out to be 1:8.75".  That .5" allowed me to try heavier bullets.