Bully

Really?? Another "Light" Thread?

So I picked up a new bedside gun. I'm looking for a light to attach to it. I have a picatinny rail under the barrel. I know next to nothing about lights and am not really "into" them so I'm reaching out to the NJGF community for assistance.

My house is small AND, I don't intend to give chase if the light ever has to be deployed against a bad guy out into the yard/street. So, I'm thinking that a gazillion lumens is overkill. I'm a fan of compact, easy to use, intuitive stuff.

The gun is a 45acp so recoil will need to be considered and I will train with it at the range.

I don't have a ton of money so something in the 100-150 dollar range is where I would be most comfortable.

If a forum vendor has something, please feel free to contact me as I prefer to support those that support me.

C

Care to elaborate on why?

C

First off its relatively inexpensive and even better is they pop up for sale all the time lightly used because whoever just had to have the newest brightest light. They are a time tested by a lot of competitors and law enforcement. They have a myriad of options for size output and laser features. Fully ambidextrous light system.

First off its relatively inexpensive and even better is they pop up for sale all the time lightly used because whoever just had to have the newest brightest light. They are a time tested by a lot of competitors and law enforcement. They have a myriad of options for size output and laser features. Fully ambidextrous light system.

Cool. Thanks.

Let me know when you want to get the 10/22's out.

C

In that price range, the TLR1 would be my recommendation as well. If cost was no object, I would pick up a Surefire X300U which is brighter and illuminates a wider area due to the shape of the reflector. I have been gradually replacing all of my Streamlight products with Surefire because a few of the non-weaponlights have flickered intermittently which has shaken my confidence in them.

Streamlight is my personal favorite as well... Imho best value for dollar there is and as I have posted before, when my father was on the job, he carried Streamlight on the streets as the patrol commander and he said the vast majority of his guys were choosing Streamlight.

The TLR-1 is their full-size weapon light, they make a strobe variant, a high powered variant (say for long gun hunters etc.) the TLR-2 is the full-size light and laser combo, they now make a TLR-2G w/ Green laser, TLR-3 is a compact light for smaller guns etc., TLR-4 is compact light w/ laser, TLR-4G is w/ a green laser etc.

Excellent values... really a great product for the price.  I have 'many' Streamlight flashlights and I love them, really great.  The one time we had an issue, they handled it extremely well and extremely fast.

FYI- Walmart has a $40 light that has got some rave reviews online... I believe the company is "Nebo" but they go by PROTEC... The PROTEC Elite HP190 is like $39.99 at my Walmart in FL, and there are a few different threads online full of great reviews, ppl who bought one and went back for all their firearms, some guy who could not break one on his 870 despite his best efforts, etc.  I will be getting one soon for my new S&W M&P22 Compact for fun and will post back, its not a Streamlight of course but, it's supposed be be the truth for it's price.

I have Streamlights and they are great. But I also have night lights all over the house that come on in the dark. I have plenty of light in each room to identify a face. Flashlight is for backup and blinding...

Everyone should have night lights.... They are inexpensive and work well to keep subdued light in your home.

I just picked up a Powertac E5 at the Oaks, Pa show and am very impressed.  Four brightness settings and a strobe effect.  Comes with rail attachment, pressure switch, lanyard and extra O-rings.  At 950 Lumens on it's highest setting the things lights up the night.

http://powertacusa.com/flashlights/E5-Weapons-Kit

Pineracer

I just wanted to agree with bhunted, I bought two packs of 4-each night lights from Walmart when we moved into this house in FL in April- both were like $5 bucks a box or something, awesome.

Automatic with a sensor for coming on, one is a 4-pack of "Soft White light", the other "Daylight Light", they use LEDs and the total energy expenditure, if ALL 8 WERE ALL ON, 24-7-365, is like $5 for the year... it might be less, I did the math when we bought them, it was borderline negligible.  

And they work great, they light up enough but not too much.  Now it's not a weapons light but it's a heck of a "force multiplier" to use the familiar term, it really increases your readiness posture and defensive capability when you combine it when a great dog, weapons w/ lights, etc.  Another layer of protection and help for bare bones minimum cost.  So I totally agree with my esteemed colleague.

TLR-1HL.  I got all of mine on sale for $108 shipped from Botach (yea you can poo poo me but whatever thats a great price).  They are bright as hell and I've put at least 500rds though my fnx tactical with it on there and the sucker not only has stayed pretty clean but has not loosened up either.  I have them on 5 guns (2 pistols 3 rifles) and they haven't come loose or malfunctioned on the rifles either. 

As others have said the x300u is the top of the line, but for half the price this gives you the same brightness and more of a flood pattern vs a direct beam on the x300.  That's a preference thing but I like the flood.

Definitely a thumbs up on the TLR-1s and the TLR-1HL.

Bright, inexpensive for the quality and batteries that have a shelf life of 5-10 yrs. A smaller house will do fine with the 160 lumen TLR-1s, but who's gonna complain when there's an extra 500 lumens with the 1HL. Maybe only the wife when you blind her playing around with the light...

I would stay Away from the nebo lights. A friend went through a few of them after returning it over and over in the first 30 days. Their $10 flashlights are great for taking out the trash at night but for something to rely on in a rough situation I would spend the $100 on the TLR's!