marty0330

Informing Employees

I'm new to the forum.

I own a revolver (S&W 357 special) which I use for range shooting and home defense.  

I decided to keep it in my office (loaded) in a file cabinet drawer which is locked when I am out. I'm a dentist.

Do I need to inform my employees (3 women)?

Thanks...

No, there is no obligation to inform your employees. It may be judicious to do so, but there is no obligation. You are making yourself responsible for your employees well-being. Make sure that you are proficient with that revolver.

BTW - it is .357 Magnum or .38 Special, unless there is some new caliber of which I am unaware.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That makes it a "plus" or "+"

And it's the cylinder that holds 7 rounds. If you have 7 rounds in the barrel, you have a big problem.

I hope that you are taking this in the spirit intended - just kind of poking fun. However, on a more serious sidenote, your unfamiliarity with the nomenclature leads me to believe you may be as unfamiliar with the gun itself - I know that may be a stretch, but when it comes to using a defensive handgun, one can never be too familiar. The 686 is a fine firearm.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The 686 Plus is a great revolver. The "plus" indicates that the cylinder holds one more round then the standard 686. As you know you can shoot either 357 magnum loads or .38 Special. If you are planning on keeping the gun loaded, I would certainly keep the file cabinet locked at all times. See the Youth Handun Safety Act.

Welcome to the forum.

9X19--

If I keep the cabinet locked at all times, my access to the firearm would be significantly reduced.

I am assuming that if no one knows it's here, and it's in a bottom drawer under papers so that it's not visible, but easily accessible, then it would be OK.

Am I supposed to be concerned about its being stolen while I'm in the office?

No... I am just saying that if you step out and forget to lock it, you are responsible if a minor gets into it. If you are concerned about quick access, get a fingerprint safe. Just my 2 cents.

Fingerprint safes are excellent for your situation

A fingerprint safe for a Dentist that is often wearing rubber gloves and has wet hands?

Terrible idea.

Yes Doc, you need a safe. There are plenty of quick access safes out there but avoid the fingerprint safes if at all possible for the reasons I mentioned above.

Something like this wi serve you well:

http://gunsafestore.com/v-line-compact-pistol-safe-279-s-blk.html

No batteries, easy and fast access, and will fit in a desk drawer. Then follow Pizza on's advice and get some training.

You do not need to inform your employees, however, when situations go bad that may not be the time to inform them either. 

What is your thinking around when you might need to deploy this firearm? Have you considered your means of response to an attack? Will your coworkers know what to do, will they react appropriately, will they be more frightened by the sight of you with a firearm? 

There are ways to prepare your people without tipping your hat, but it requires thinking ahead and training and discussing what-if situations in order that your and your employees responses can be as effective as possible.

Most small offices do not conduct any type of safety drills, fire drills, etc.  In this instance, our schools are much better prepared than we are.  In the 20+ years I have been working, none of the companies I have worked with have ever conducted any type of drill.  I have had CLIENTS who conduct drills due to the nature of their business, but never my employer. 

A fingerprint safe for a Dentist that is often wearing rubber gloves and has wet hands?

Terrible idea.

Yes Doc, you need a safe. There are plenty of quick access safes out there but avoid the fingerprint safes if at all possible for the reasons I mentioned above.

Something like this wi serve you well:

http://gunsafestore.com/v-line-compact-pistol-safe-279-s-blk.html

No batteries, easy and fast access, and will fit in a desk drawer. Then follow Pizza on's advice and get some training.

High Exposure good point, on the gloves I did not think about that. I have Stack On safes that have a 4 digit keypad combination lock.

You should be carrying the gun. As discretely as possible. You should lock it in a safe whenever you leave. Fingerprint safe will be perfect for that as your hands will be clean when you leave and when you arrive.

Nothing else will work.

First of all, if a guy comes in brandishing a gun or a knife, do you think you will have the opportunity to go get your own gun? No.

Second, what if somebody is just shifty or making you nervous. You going to go into your office and get your gun and walk back out with it in your hand? No. In your waistband? No. You are not going to get your gun at all. Because neither of those ideas make any sense.

So >90% of the scenarios you might need a gun you won't have it unless you are wearing it.

Not an answer to your question but when I read your post, I immediately thought of this guy...

http://izismile.com/2012/04/10/this_doctor_knows_how_to_recruit_the_right_5_pics.html

They are good looking but does the doc have something against boobs? How can he find so many hot young girls and not one of them hits a B Cup?