marty0330

Informing Employees

all kidding and hawt women aside...   carrying a firearm on your hip around an office where you see patients all day who may or may not be comfortable with guns is not the best idea in the world unless you clearly post in your office that you may be carrying a concealed firearm.  Last thing you will need is for a patient to notice you have one and then tell the cops they were uncomfortable in your office since you had a loaded weapon on you.  Legal or not, you could get in a bind at the time

As for drawer v. safe, I cannot think that keeping a loaded firearm in an unlocked drawer is good in any circumstance.  Your access aside, you do not need your employees or nosy patients accidentally finding it and doing something stupid.  YOU would be liable for that..

IMO, a keypad safe would probably be best since biometric wont work (as someone pointed out, gloves, etc) and a dial combo lock takes too long.  Even if you are the owner of the business, your other employees may NOT be comfortable with a gun lying around.. 

Just my 2¢..  Dont want to see anyone get in a bind needlessly.  Our fantastic gun laws in NJ force these stupid conversations to happen..  (conversation is not stupid, but we shouldnt NEED to talk about it)

Not an answer to your question but when I read your post, I immediately thought of this guy...

http://izismile.com/2012/04/10/this_doctor_knows_how_to_recruit_the_right_5_pics.html

Where's the cultural diversity?

Oh Well!!!  Guess I'll just have to live with it.

A fingerprint safe for a Dentist that is often wearing rubber gloves and has wet hands?

Terrible idea.

Yes Doc, you need a safe. There are plenty of quick access safes out there but avoid the fingerprint safes if at all possible for the reasons I mentioned above.

Something like this wi serve you well:

http://gunsafestore.com/v-line-compact-pistol-safe-279-s-blk.html

No batteries, easy and fast access, and will fit in a desk drawer. Then follow Pizza on's advice and get some training.

I have a lock box very similar or identical to this with a Simplex lock.  It has served me very well.

Old School--Where do I carry it?  shoulder holster? small of back?? ankle? 

Doc - Depends on your size and how you dress.  If you're thin and wear a hip length Dentist's smock in the waist band works fine.

I'm 5'11" and 165# and can carry a PM9 Kahr in my front pocket with out notice.

Doc,

I'm in agreement with most here...you need to carry it and lock it up when you go out. I have had great success carrying a Springfield XDS in the waistband (IWB). It disappears, especially if you wear a smock or something. I think a shoulder rig would move around too much because you lean over and use your arms to work.

An IWB like a Crossbreed, MacKenzie, Alien, etc. with a leather backing and two belt hooks would mold to your hip and feel natural in a short amount of time.

Also...with all due respect, from your posts it doesn't sound like you have much familiarity with the equipment. Take your guns to the range a lot and get to know them well. Get some training and watch some videos. Arming yourself is very serious, and there's a lawyer attached to every round.

Doc, with respect- a loaded firearm in an unlocked file cabinet covered by papers in a busy office is, to put it mildly, a really bad idea. Quick access safe, or carry. There are some great instructors in defensive firearms use out there now- you might want to take one of the classes before you arm yourself.....

So who thinks this guy would still be alive if his gun were in a quick access safe?

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/20140729_Armed_doctor_saved_lives.html

edit: not saying that OP should leave his gun loaded on top of the reception counter next to the stickers and lollipops, but if he's concerned enough to have a gun, he has to think of the scenarios where a gun would be needed and how accessible it would be in those scenarios.

Old School--Where do I carry it?  shoulder holster? small of back?? ankle? 

Wherever you can conceal it and deploy it and where it rides comfortably.

I really do suggest that you take some self defense classes - not so much for the techniques but rather for the mindset.  My previous post was intended to get you to think about various scenarios and your particular reaction to each.  A gun is not a magic talisman where simply having it nearby it repels all evil. 

So who thinks this guy would still be alive if his gun were in a quick access safe?

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/20140729_Armed_doctor_saved_lives.html

edit: not saying that OP should leave his gun loaded on top of the reception counter next to the stickers and lollipops, but if he's concerned enough to have a gun, he has to think of the scenarios where a gun would be needed and how accessible it would be in those scenarios.

That's why having it on your body is a good idea.

You should be carrying the gun. As discretely as possible. You should lock it in a safe whenever you leave. Fingerprint safe will be perfect for that as your hands will be clean when you leave and when you arrive.

Nothing else will work.

First of all, if a guy comes in brandishing a gun or a knife, do you think you will have the opportunity to go get your own gun? No.

Second, what if somebody is just shifty or making you nervous. You going to go into your office and get your gun and walk back out with it in your hand? No. In your waistband? No. You are not going to get your gun at all. Because neither of those ideas make any sense.

So >90% of the scenarios you might need a gun you won't have it unless you are wearing it.

Best answer in the thread. 

To me, quick access safes are for nighttime storage because I'm not sleeping with a gun on me. Any other time that I can legally carry it, it's on me.