Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

Current state or right to Carry in DC

I'm heading to DC next weekend.  I would normally leave my gun in my hotel room in VA except that my room won't be ready until the afternoon and I'll be in DC all morning.  For the first morning, I plan to leave my gun locked up, separate from ammo, hidden in the trunk of my car and should be fine. 

I realize there's been a 90 day stay of the order that made carry in DC legal but I haven't seen a retraction of the police chief's memo to officers not to arrest for possession.   I'm wondering what DC officers have been told to do during this 90 day stay, arrest or don't arrest?

I can't honestly say what DC police have been told.But having your gun in your trunk and ammo separate means nothing. You go to jail for many years same as if you had it in you waistband Mexican style while smoking a blunt.

^This. If the fuzz isn't enforcing and/or your secret stays secret, you'll make it.

Otherwise, following NJ-style transport rules will do nothing for you.

Yeah, I realize that once I stop in DC, FOPA's no longer going to cover me.  And in 28 years of driving, I've never once given anyone reason to want to search my car so I'm really not all that worried about my 4 or 5 hours of exposure.   I was just curious how DC police were handling unlawful possession during the stay of the judge's order.

An MPDC officer told me yesterday that he arrested two people who had guns. One will be charged because he's a felon. The other might be released but they don't know yet. 

If you carry, be prepared to be arrested at the very least. If you are not a prohibited person you might be let go. But you'd spend a night in jail at the very least.

IMO, it is risky business to carry in DC right now because they are going to appeal the ruling and they are also looking at a NJ style may-issue law. 

Leave the gun in VA or at home. 

ALWAYS ALWAYS leave it in VA. Dont take any shotties of any kind into DC. I do similar travels every couple years and keep it in the nice VIRGINIA hotel room lock boxes. Easy to get into car accident in DC. Mine as well go into DC with no pants. Better than a visit to DC jail.