bhunted

I'm ecstatic! Got a surprise!

I got some good news and have been jumping up and down since. My boy got a new MOS and is coming home to Terra-firma finally! A SSgt. in the Marines, he's been stationed in Okinawa, Japan for over 4 years. So haven't seen him, just LD Chats...

I know this question prob has been answered before, but I'm too excited to find a definitive answer....

He's always wanted my Rem 700 Police Package and he was going to get it along with all my guns when I croak.

But what I want to do is be able to present it to him in person. Is there any way I can legally just drive it down to him, (Camp Lejeune), w/o going via FFL? With just like a COE or something?

I plan on having a plate engraved and embossed into the stock or a plate too. (Anyone know someone / someplace that does that?)

He gave up all his guns when he deployed there because no guns allowed in Japan... Now I want this to be his first one back on home ground...

Any help is as always appreciated...

(my hands are shaken).... :D

He's looking for housing now in NC. He's not sure if on base or not... I asked him if it would be a problem and he said no. He just has to register it on base.

Not sure of North Carolina rifle ownership laws, but I'd really love to personally hand it to him. I'm going to have the stock all done up with Marine stuff. I'd like to see his face...

Ok, just called the DOJ Firearms Liaison and they said no prob as long as he's legally able to own firearms. If it were a pistol, similar to up here!

They don't register long guns down there either.

Now I'm really excited. Got to get this baby decked out and plan my trip.

Yehaw!!!

First of all, CONGRATS on the good news!

Next, I'm checking my sources to see about who one could trust to do engraving and/or a engraved plate in the stock.  First person I thought of was Anthony of Henry Firearms in Bayonne!  Anthony has overseen too many special editions of long guns to mention, from Eagle Scout .22 LR Commemorative to I believe an Armed Services Commemorative.  Hell, they even offer name and saying engraving on their receivers!  So I'd call Anthony and chat with him about what he can offer you!

As far as delivery to your Boy, I would take it myself (covered by FOPA) and merely forget to pack it when leaving.........every Dad is entitled to make his son smile!  But IANAL......

First of all, CONGRATS on the good news!

Next, I'm checking my sources to see about who one could trust to do engraving and/or a engraved plate in the stock. First person I thought of was Anthony of Henry Firearms in Bayonne! Anthony has overseen too many special editions of long guns to mention, from Eagle Scout .22 LR Commemorative to I believe an Armed Services Commemorative. Hell, they even offer name and saying engraving on their receivers! So I'd call Anthony and chat with him about what he can offer you!

As far as delivery to your Boy, I would take it myself (covered by FOPA) and merely forget to pack it when leaving.........every Dad is entitled to make his son smile! But IANAL......

For the record, he is my unofficially adopted son. I became his mentor and substitute father when his dad, (another Marine), died. But he is like my son. Everything you can want in a kid. His new MOS is going to be instructor and I'm proud as hell of him. He's the only one I consider family I have left... Couldn't sleep last night. Last time I couldn't sleep thinking about him was when his Humvee went over an IED and was almost killed. No more of that shit thank God...

First off, congrats.

Moreover, I would be tempted to just give it to him as-is. I understand entirely why you want to have it customized, but I know I like my Dads guns as they are now. Modding them just makes them different. There are zillions of 1911s just like my dads, but only his is exactly like his. If he were to have it reblued with $20,000 of engraving and custom work it just wouldn't be the same.

I say keep the rifle as-is and spend the money on something nice for him if you want to.

If he's not an NJ resident it must be transferred at an FFL under federal law.

As mentioned above Mip, I called the DOJ down there and confirmed it.

It's ok as long as he's not a felon. Only prob would be hand guns.

Neither state registers long arms.... Unless you know different....lemme know why. He's not an NJ resident any more. I did explain that also to them...

First off, congrats.

Moreover, I would be tempted to just give it to him as-is. I understand entirely why you want to have it customized, but I know I like my Dads guns as they are now. Modding them just makes them different. There are zillions of 1911s just like my dads, but only his is exactly like his. If he were to have it reblued with $20,000 of engraving and custom work it just wouldn't be the same.

I say keep the rifle as-is and spend the money on something nice for him if you want to.

Hmmmm, got some good points. I also have a Major Plaster custom sniper stock for him that nobody wants around here. Or maybe I'll buy another oem stock and give him all 3 stocks... (Scratching head now, ugh)....

As mentioned above Mip, I called the DOJ down there and confirmed it.It's ok as long as he's not a felon. Only prob would be hand guns.Neither state registers long arms.... Unless you know different....lemme know why. He's not an NJ resident any more. I did explain that also to them...

I didn't say state. Federal law requires an FFL to perform transfer of a longarm between residents of different states. Not NC and NJ, every single state.

That is not a state law, it's a federal law.

If he is not a resident of NJ, you would be breaking federal law by transferring a gun to him without an FFL.

I didn't say state. Federal law requires an FFL to perform transfer of a longarm between residents of different states. Not NC and NJ, every single state.

That is not a state law, it's a federal law.

If he is not a resident of NJ, you would be breaking federal law by transferring a gun to him without an FFL.

I thought DOJ was Federal... Why would they tell me it's no prob? Now I'm confused, because I really want to personally hand it to him.

You probably called the NC state DOJ?

This has been illegal for over 45 years. It's called the Gun Control Act of 1968.

See Item 2 here:

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#gca-unlicensed-acquire

Note, "licensee" in that link means FFL. "unlicensed" means you and your son. Purchasing a firearm from a resident of a different state than you always requires an FFL be involved.

Long gun - FFL in either state

Handgun - FFL in purchaser's/transferee's state only.

Yea, NC DOJ.... Still figured it was covered.

How the hell am I going to pull this off. I have no prob using an FFL... It's just that I want to be there when he gets it. The odds of that are iffy because he's still active and timing could be off. Any thoughts?

Yea, NC DOJ.... Still figured it was covered.

How the hell am I going to pull this off. I have no prob using an FFL... It's just that I want to be there when he gets it. The odds of that are iffy because he's still active and timing could be off. Any thoughts?

Yeah, say here's your new rifle and hand it to him. Then you both jump in a car and drive to a nearby ffl. Bring two COEs. Bring his NC ID or his military ID and his orders. Call the gun shop before the trip and tell them he is mil and might be using his orders as ID of residency since he just moved there and it's going to be a surprise. If they are stupid move on to the next FFL in the area.

I'm not going to suggest anything illegal, but you could have given it to him back when he lived in Jersey. Who the F would know?

It could be a little costly but could you have a NJ FFL ship it to NC FFL and have the NC FFL hold it until you and your son can walk into the store together to pick it up?

Probably. Just need to find a friendly and trusting FFL there.

You don't need an NJ FFL. Just bring it down there. You only need 1 FFL where you both can meet.

Oh! :D that sounds doable. So basically performing a transfer at the shop and paying them for the transfer?

Yeah, say here's your new rifle and hand it to him. Then you both jump in a car and drive to a nearby ffl. Bring two COEs. Bring his NC ID or his military ID and his orders. Call the gun shop before the trip and tell them he is mil and might be using his orders as ID of residency since he just moved there and it's going to be a surprise. If they are stupid move on to the next FFL in the area.

I'm not going to suggest anything illegal, but you could have given it to him back when he lived in Jersey. Who the F would know?

I hear ya... But that was decades ago and he was under age, yadda yadda...

Yeah. Call before you go and find at least two that are local, understand, and are happy to help.

No problemo.

Many thanks Mip!

He's not sure if he will get on base housing or just buying off base. One way or another, shouldn't be to far from base. Have to start scoping out lgs down there in that area...

Going to be a grueling wait till October.... Can't wait to see him!

Gun Broker has listings of FFL by state, and most have their fees listed. It's a start.

Yep, just going to dig deep. I got some friends and old agents in the area down there. Have to do some corroborating...