Sign in to follow this  
Vicious

Marlin 39a vs. Henry .22 Lever

I have had both, and kept the Marlin. Here is the issue. If the Marlin is pre-Remington, then grab the Marlin. The quality of pre- remington manufactured Marlins is incredible. It will have a JM stamp or say New Haven if it is pre-remington. If it is a new Marlin, made by Remington, then quality varies and go for the Henry. The Marlin Forum is a great resource.

I had a really old, beat up truck gun 39a a few years ago.  It was very heavy. I sold it and have not regretted the sale.

I currently have a basic H001 and I love the gun. It is much light and handier. I do not feel I have given up too much in the quality department at all. Understand, my Marlin was a 50 year old beater, and my Henry was nearly new.

The receiver cover is painted mystery metal on the Henry, not blued steel like the Marlin. Likewise, the internals are not steel, but the gun shoots and is very reliable.

If you like the Marlin, and want to pay the price of admission, by all means go for it. If, like me, you are fiscally challenged, go for the Henry. It is a fine rifle.

Henry no question.  Put enough green into in, damn fine Henry, no question.  Model H001T Octagon barrel or better still H004 Yellow Boy.  Then add Skinner Sights.  Now that is a fine plinking gun. 

I have 2 marlin 39a's both pre Remington. They are accurate and reliable guns. I have never shot or handled the Henry but I like the looks of the yellow boy and will probably pick one up in the future but my 39a is always my go to plinker

The pre-Remington Marlin gets a lot of praise. I am glad to see the positive support for the Henry though. It may be a better option since it is only going to be an occasional plinker. I was a little afraid of the "mystery metal."

Have no fear of the metal in the Henry. The important parts, bolt and barrel, are steel. The other metals are certainly up to the task of making a .22 work. Heck, the metals in my Marlin 795 are not all steel and it runs like a champ.

I dig the made in NJ thing. My wife and I are firm believers in shopping locally if possible.

Lastly, Henry has customer service that is unrivaled.

If you are ever in Ocean County and wanna try mine out, lemme know and you can run as much ammo thru it as you want.

Buy a Henry. If you don't like it, put it up on this forum's marketplace at a fair price and it will be sold by the end of the day.

A Henry rifle is produced using some fairly modern manufacturing techniques. I suspect it is heavily investment cast but it certainly functions fine. The Marlin vs. Henry debate is much like pre/post 64 Winchesters. Old Winchesters and Marlins were produced when hand fitting was valued. Henry, or anyone else, simply cannot make a rifle with large amounts of hand fitting, everything milled and forged, and a deep rich blue for the price point. That doesn't make the Henry a crap rifle, I love mine and it is simply fantastic. 

Finish wise, I have a Golden Boy. The octo-barrel has a very high quality blue to it and the receiver is plated somehow. It is probably some powder-metallurgy job but that certainly isn't a bad thing. The Furniture is absolutely beautiful. 

They're also so local that one of their employees posts here and you can call/email the Owner yourself. 

Also, you could probably wedge the barrel between two rocks and jump on the buttstock and Henry would probably still fix it for you. 

302w that is a very great write up about the Henry. JT, you make it seem like a solid rifle as well. dajonga, I wish I were closest (Hudson County) because I would take you up on that offer. I need to handle a Henry. I felt a Marlin in a PA gun shop about a year ago, and I really liked the feel. Plus I like the "second kind of cool" associated with a .22 lever gun (nutnfancy reference).

The fact that Henry has good customer service is reassuring, plus I can drive to their place in like 10 minutes. If I have a problem with the Marlin (doubtful, but possible) I'm on my own.

Although I'm partial to the Marlin should point out to the OP that someone has a nice Henry Golden Boy for sale on this forum (not me)...

Thank you very much for sharing, but I don't like the Golden Boy. Too shiny for me. lol