OfcrFek

Anyone have an opinion on Remington 770?

Was at Dick's getting ammo for a class tomorrow, and I was talking to the guy about how I wanted a R700 in .308 but didn't wanna shell out $600. He said they have a 770 in .308 for about $350. He pulled it down and handed it to me, and it felt good in the hands. Anyone have any experience with one of these? I may purchase one tomorrow after my class if anyone has anything good to say about it.

Yuck...I wouldn't have even touched it. If you have to have a budget rifle in .308 get the Savage Hog Hunter, they can be had for $450 and there's plenty of aftermarket stocks and other toys. Plus you can spin the barrel off yourself when you shoot it out or outgrow it and screw on an off the shelf precision barrel from Shilen or some other reputable barrel makers. I remember seeing one at Miller's in Chichester, PA not to long ago. Otherwise save your pennies for a proven platform, i.e. Rem 700.

http://www.millersgunshop.com/

PS. Shameless plug

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/3315-308-rem-700-165-aac-sd5r/

Save your $$ for a Rem 700, Savage 111 or maybe a used Winchester 70.  I have shot a few 770's and would not buy one.  For a budget rifle I would look at a Savage Axis or a Ruger American in .308

Kind of hearsay, but I saw a video on r/guns a few months ago, and it was a guy shooting his 770, and it seems like the base to the magazine just flew off when it was fired. Seemed the floor-plate wasn't attached very well. On the reddit thread some other people mentioned they had similar issues.

I've never heard anything good about the 770. I know Savage makes some awesome firearms--and cheap, so that hog hunter everyone's recommending might be a good option.

The 770 is cheaply made and not in a good way either. Junk bolt that falls out for no reason, floor plate that's either attached properly or not (it's a crap shoot), and a press fit barrel that's pinned in place and can't be replaced. Sub par accuracy, in a sub par platform.

I believe it's being replaced by the 783, which is quiet the step up from the 770 for the same price range (450 new, 350 on sale). And it's on par with the same level ruger and a slight step under the savage all in the same general price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually saw a Ruger American .308 today at Shooters for about what I saw the 770 for. Actually, I was literally standing in line to buy it, when the guy said they couldn't do the NICS check today or something and I would have to come back to pick it up tomorrow, something I wasn't willing to do. Otherwise this post would actually be saying I didn't buy the 770, cuz I already bought the Ruger. lol. Anyone have any experience/opinion on that rifle? The instructor and another guy in the class I was taking both RAVED about it when they saw me looking at it...

I have a Ruger American in .243 and while I would hesitate to call it a tack driver it is actually a very accurate rifle.  Mine can consistently hit 2 inch groupings @ 200 yards.  And I was able to get one on sale for around $300 out the door.  Hard to say no to that!

As others have said, DO NOT BUY THIS.

When I was first looking, back in Jan/Feb '10, DSG had Remington 700s SPS Varmints (26" Heavy Bbl .308's) w/ a scope combo for $499.99 ... and I thought , that's a sweet deal (I was a novice and figured it was the same thing as the Remington 700s the Army/Marines used so it would be a sweet deal and make me a sharpshooter in no time!! lol).

However, they then showed me the $349.99 770 which looked JUST LIKE the SPS Varmint but a bit smaller, like a Jr. version if you will. . .and I thought, this is perfect and I mean PERFECT for me, not a big guy by any stretch, I'm gonna look into this.

That was Feb 2010.  I have been reading HORROR stories on them ever since.  I have since bought a 700 AAC-SD .308 and spent a ton of time, money, and effort making it a semi-customized $3000 build... and I am so happy I stayed away from that 770.  On one forum, a guy who claimed to work for Remington pre and post freedom group said that the 770 was literally given rejected parts from the 700... rejected all sorts of stuff.  (And I am not talking about second-labels like wine, we're talking about substandard metals and springs and etc.)  Maybe it's not  true, maybe it's a little true, maybe who knows.  But I can tell you equivocally, the net is FILLED with horror stories about them.