A-Tech

My first attempts at kydex holsters

I recently purchased a Baby Desert Eagle II in 9mm and found soon after that nobody makes a holster for it. Well, Blade-Tech makes a taco style and it takes about 7weeks to get and costs over $100, so I basically ruled it out. So I present to you, my first attempt at making my own Kydex holster and double mag holster.

I still need to do some very fine finishing on the holster like cutting the belt clips where I need them, and cutting off the mag holster edges, but they are essentially finished. I'm extremely pleased with retention and definition. Everything draws smooth and has a perfect amount of retention. Magazines do not drop if I shake them upside down yet still draw easily.

post-4403-140892281406_thumb.jpg

post-4403-140892282841_thumb.jpg

post-4403-140892284047_thumb.jpg

post-4403-140892287255_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I get a great grip on it. My middle finger slides right around the grip perfectly without obstruction and my thumb does not hit anywhere either. If you check the backside picture you'll see how it's rounded near the grip and slide guard. I may be biased to this, but I think this may be my best holster now.

good job!...theres definitely a great feeling about being able to make your own stuff and not be at the mercy of others....i too began making holsters for myself when like you...i didn't want to wait 2 months ....its nice making a holster for <$10...lol

Wanna make me a sheath for an m7 bayo?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Why kind of sheath are we talking about here? Strap retention? Belt clip? Tek-Lok?...I don't really have anything other than tools to make the basic stuff right now, like the kydex press and rivet press. I'm not set up, or prepared to do anything more than what I planned for with this one but, something tells me I will be preparing for more soon. If you wanted the slot style mounting I wouldn't be able to do that as I have no way of efficiently cutting slots. Could I mold some kydex around the bayo? Sure lol

Why kind of sheath are we talking about here? Strap retention? Belt clip? Tek-Lok?...I don't really have anything other than tools to make the basic stuff right now, like the kydex press and rivet press. I'm not set up, or prepared to do anything more than what I planned for with this one but, something tells me I will be preparing for more soon. If you wanted the slot style mounting I wouldn't be able to do that as I have no way of efficiently cutting slots. Could I mold some kydex around the bayo? Sure lol

Lol I just want to tie it to my molle belt with paracord.

good job!...theres definitely a great feeling about being able to make your own stuff and not be at the mercy of others....i too began making holsters for myself when like you...i didn't want to wait 2 months ....its nice making a holster for <$10...lol

$10? The digital urban kydex cost more than that per sheet lol. But yea, it's pretty cheap. Start to finish right now I'm at about $100 with everything including building the press, consumables, and some small tools I already had that I figured I would duplicate to have dedicated to this. This holster set cost me about $30 in consumables.

Lol I just want to tie it to my molle belt with paracord.

Exactly what I wouldn't be able to do because I have no way of cutting the slots you need to do that. If I one day get to that point, you'll be the first to know.

$10? The digital urban kydex cost more than that per sheet lol. But yea, it's pretty cheap. Start to finish right now I'm at about $100 with everything including building the press, consumables, and some small tools I already had that I figured I would duplicate to have dedicated to this. This holster set cost me about $30 in consumables.

the 12"x12" black of .060 i use were under $5 each at the quantity i bought them ...and doing iwb minimalist  its a sheet each....or if doing a crossbreed style i get 4 out of each piece....or more if just doing the "mic holster" deals.....i already had the other stuff needed old toaster oven ...laser temp gauge other odds and ends of tools ....wood to make a press and the clamps etc....so all i had to buy was a cheap rivet set.....i bought it and a couple hundred of the rivets for around $20 on ebay or amazon ..i can't remember now...and the crossbreed style clips were about $1 a piece when i bought them at a local leather guy....and he gave me a bunch of scraps of leather that weren't of use to him...but are fine for mine....so in my case....im at $1-1.5 for a mic holster ......$6-7 for a kydex minimalist appendix ....and $9-11ish for a crossbreed style.....of course thats just material...no account of my time......but I'm cheap labor.....haha 

Well im interested if you are. Obviously I would compensate fairly.

So far, my first problem seems to be finding a nylon strap for retention. Second, whats the length between tip of the blade to about 1" behind the bayo mount? I didn't build the press for length so that would be the only hurdle other than finding a thumb break type of strap. You would think it would be easy to find but I'm not having any luck. I'll keep looking to see how others do it. 

So far, my first problem seems to be finding a nylon strap for retention. Second, whats the length between tip of the blade to about 1" behind the bayo mount? I didn't build the press for length so that would be the only hurdle other than finding a thumb break type of strap. You would think it would be easy to find but I'm not having any luck. I'll keep looking to see how others do it.

For tention, can you just take a strip of kydex, heat and bend it and attach it inside? Knife will guide itself in and hold I think...

For tention, can you just take a strip of kydex, heat and bend it and attach it inside? Knife will guide itself in and hold I think...

Normally, yes. With the bayo mount it wont though. That's a lot of shape and it could be done, but wouldn't be very functional or pleasing to the eye. However, I overlooked an incredibly simple solution. So simple, I won't embarrass myself by revealing it. Checko, when I get what I need (sometime this week) I'll mock something up and see if it will work for your needs. 

Normally, yes. With the bayo mount it wont though. That's a lot of shape and it could be done, but wouldn't be very functional or pleasing to the eye. However, I overlooked an incredibly simple solution. So simple, I won't embarrass myself by revealing it. Checko, when I get what I need (sometime this week) I'll mock something up and see if it will work for your needs.

Not sure you get me... You can make the sheath as plan. Maybe a 1" x 3 to 4" slice inserted after bowed from heat, then glued inside. The bow inside would put pressure against the blade. I use to have something like that long ago except I think it was some sort of spring steel... Hard to explain what I mean I suppose.

Not sure you get me... You can make the sheath as plan. Maybe a 1" x 3 to 4" slice inserted after bowed from heat, then glued inside. The bow inside would put pressure against the blade. I use to have something like that long ago except I think it was some sort of spring steel... Hard to explain what I mean I suppose.

Two problems with that. #1 - that could wreck the finish on a knife and is really a solution looking for a problem.... K.I.S.S.

#2 - Checko is looking to mount this on his rig, and he does his share of training so I would really hate for that thing to come popping out unexpectedly. 

I live by the the motto in my signature "Chance favors the prepared mind". Nothing goes wrong when I operate (not to be confused with Operate/Ninja/HighSpeedLowDrag) by the same mindset.

Wow, impressive job. I made a holster for my SR9 a couple years ago. Although functional, it doesn't look nearly as clean as yours. Where did you buy the tools from?

Thanks! Tools? I made the press from scratch and had everything else with the exception of the eyelet press which came from knifekits.com ...so far I've got a line of friends that want so holster work now. It's been fun so far and I love doing stuff like this where I get to build something and claim it as my work. If it's not kydex, it's something else. I'll be doing my buddy's G35 and his brand new VP9 too. Those pics will follow.

Tip to butt - 12"

Tip of blade to bolster - 6.5"

Blade width - 1.875"

Bolster height - 3"

Bolster width at widest - 1.25"

Need anything else?

That press, along with the dies, is a pricey investment.

Really? My press and the rivet dies combined cost me about $25 lol. I made the press and the rivet die was like $15. Seriously man, I'm not kidding about how easy was for me to get started.

Sorry I misunderstood what you said. How exactly did you make your own rivet press?

My rivet press is a hammer. The press I'm talking about is for pressing the kydex. But even if I go and buy a press they can be had for $35 at harbor freight.