Sign in to follow this  
younggun93

ak variant under $600

I'm really interested in getting an ak style rifle, i dont want to spent a ton, but i want something that will work, ive been looking at some of the rifles K-var offers (nj complaint 7.62x39) but they seem pretty expensive. after reading around this forum a bit i like the idea of getting a regular rifle and having it converted here. 

so what should i be looking at? and are there any places in north-central jersey that sell any?

How much should this all cost?

You have several options. First you should keep an eye on the Marketplace because often good quality AK variants will be listed for sale. How much do you want to spend? Our forum sponsors often have NJ legal AK variants available. Post an inquiry for a price and availability reaponse. Now you can even purchase reasonably good quality all American made AK variants with chrome lined barrels. Both Century is making them. My only gripe with them is that they are using a cheap Hammer spring set up and the design of their recoil spring components is fair, at best, but their classic wood rifles are sure nice looking. Buy a Saiga and do the conversion yourself. Unfortunately, they have gone up alot in price in the last two years, and by the time you finish you are going to spend at least $900 total. K-var's are also nice if you have the bucks, but you will pay more. They have NJ legal versions with nicer asthetics. It really depsnds on what you want to spend. Bulgarian conversions are the top of the line. Stay away from Wasrs, they have a low price point, but generally are of low quality.

There is nothing wrong with a WASR

You have several options. First you should keep an eye on the Marketplace because often good quality AK variants will be listed for sale. How much do you want to spend? Our forum sponsors often have NJ legal AK variants available. Post an inquiry for a price and availability reaponse. Now you can even purchase reasonably good quality all American made AK variants with chrome lined barrels. Both Century is making them. My only gripe with them is that they are using a cheap Hammer spring set up and the design of their recoil spring components is fair, at best, but their classic wood rifles are sure nice looking. Buy a Saiga and do the conversion yourself. Unfortunately, they have gone up alot in price in the last two years, and by the time you finish you are going to spend at least $900 total. K-var's are also nice if you have the bucks, but you will pay more. They have NJ legal versions with nicer asthetics. It really depsnds on what you want to spend. Bulgarian conversions are the top of the line. Stay away from Wasrs, they have a low price point, but generally are of low quality.

ive been looking at a few american made ones, but if i get a century arms, how much would it cost to replace the hammer springs if necessary?

and what makes the wasrs low quality? Hell I even thought about building an ak style just for shits and giggles, it sounds like a fun project  

thats tempting, but I want to learn a little more about what to look for in a good ak before i buy 

Check atlanticfirearms.com they took care of me when buying my AK.

Take a look at the wasr ( Atlantic QC checks them) and the npap. Both great rifles for the price (they won't ship with mags but standard double stacked ak pinned and 10 round mags are not hard to get ). Also depending where you live Steve at Monmouth arms can do any compliance work if needed for a reasonable price + a pretty cheap ffl transfer + he's fun to talk to :p. He pinned and welded my muzzle device on my saiga and it look great.

I won't get into names but absolutely there are differences in the various AKs. You have to check it out and decide.

Does it have a bullet guide already?

Were the rivets done by a 3rd grader from Shop School?

Ugly gas block or the kool style?

Etc.

How much dough do you want to spend?

What quality and features and looks will you accept?

Then just do it.

i have a Wasr.  it was my first ak and i love it. never had a problem with it at all. ive put around 2000 rounds through it and only cleaned it twice, and nothing has went wrong or ever jammed.

I picked up a wasr-10 the other day. Picked it up at Shore Shot for $625 and they threw in a 15/30 pmag. Was kinda bummed when he said it was to powerful to shoot there so haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It just needed a good cleaning out of the box and it looks good. Hopefully it shoots well when I get to a outdoor range. Call them up if you want to take a look at one. They got in 5 last Thursday and by 7pm they only had 1 left after I got mine.

Check atlanticfirearms.com they took care of me when buying my AK.

Take a look at the wasr ( Atlantic QC checks them) and the npap. Both great rifles for the price (they won't ship with mags but standard double stacked ak pinned and 10 round mags are not hard to get ). Also depending where you live Steve at Monmouth arms can do any compliance work if needed for a reasonable price + a pretty cheap ffl transfer + he's fun to talk to :p. He pinned and welded my muzzle device on my saiga and it look great.

i think i may end up taking this route, i like that Atlantic check it out before you buy, plus they have a pretty good price on a WASR, too bad theyre out of stock

Zastava N-Pap.  It's single stack but they throw in 12 free mags.  I got the thumbhole stock so I didn't need to pin the muzzlebreak.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/paprifle-2

I'll second the Zastava, i got the wood version back when they gave 30 free mags.  Had monmouth arms weld the brake and it's good to go.  Got bout 1k rounds down it now and no issues at all.

There's an upgraded version coming out, you may want to wait

I think I've decided on the century arms c39, its a little over my budget (`$650) but from what I've heard its a real workhorse.

Now I'm just waiting until I have the funds LOL hopefully this should be a few more weeks

I purchased my first Ak style rifle last year from JT Custom Guns off the forums. Its been great so far. I refinished the wood and put about 300 rounds down range without any issues. Being that the WASR is my first AK style rifle, I really dont have any others to compare it to but I would not hesistate to buy it again if I had to. That being said the C39 looks like a sweet rifle.

thank you, someone who shares my sentiment. Not sure why there are wasr haters

because there are many WASRs out there that are terrible... canted sights.. an actions that operates so roughly it feels like it comes pre filled with rocks and sand.. then there are others that are OK..

I hear this so much, but never first hand. Maybe it's true, maybe it's internet reputation. Have you seen this yourself and were they newer or older made?

because there are many WASRs out there that are terrible... canted sights.. an actions that operates so roughly it feels like it comes pre filled with rocks and sand.. then there are others that are OK..

Century isn't chrome lining the barrels on the

C39v2
Century posted this on their Facebook:

They've posted some other stuff about it there too

Century isn't chrome lining the barrels on these (I don't quite buy Yeager's "barrels are hard to chrome line").  Is this a big deal for you guys?  Other than that, they like like a pretty decent deal.

.  Is this a big deal for you guys?

Century isn't chrome lining the barrels on the

Century isn't chrome lining the barrels on these (I don't quite buy Yeager's "barrels are hard to chrome line").  Is this a big deal for you guys?  Other than that, they like like a pretty decent deal.

.  Is this a big deal for you guys?

dont the M&P15 sports have a melonite treated barrels? is that what century is ding to these new c39s?

I hear this so much, but never first hand. Maybe it's true, maybe it's internet reputation. Have you seen this yourself and were they newer or older made?

I can not speak to the age of the guns I have handled... but yes I have seen canted sights and terrible actions in real life guns in hand... now to be fair they still fired OK.. an AK is an AK... in that you could load the mag.. fire the gun and rip through the mag... but if we are talking build quality.. the ones I handled for the most part were sub par.. but my experience in AKs besides the WASR is limited to Saigas which were my built guns (which I am going to obviously have a bias towards since they were put together how I wanted them).. and a couple of milled AKs which were in my personal experience very well built.. heavier.. but solid well built guns.. I think sometimes people take things personally.. if I say "you hear a lot of nightmares about the WASR being garbage.. and the ones I have handled appeared to be terrible quality" people by nature that own them want to defend them.. when there is really no need.. if it works for the end user then great.. but it is pretty factual to say that the general consensus is that they are of lesser quality than many other AK variants..