dpas1973

Ar 15 scope

Why does it suck? What magnification are you looking to have and what kind of accuracy are you seeking.

I have a p223 4x12 and it is definitely very nice for the price. However I don't think its necessary for a 100 yards.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

^^^This

What kind of accuracy are you getting that is disappointing you?

What ammo are you shooting? Is it match ammo or 10MOA spec'ed steel cased 55gr FMJ training ammo.

What kind of AR is it? A rack grade AR built to the TDP is spec'd to be 4MOA. Hobby guns may be built to significantly less accurate standards.

Are you typically a 1MOA shooter?

A quality RDS should be more than adequate at 100 yards.

What makes you think that a "scope" will make you shoot better? A scope will help you see better, not necessarily shoot better. For example, if you are slapping the trigger with a RDS you are going to slap the trigger with a scope. You will just see your misses more clearly with the magnified optic.

What's a decent scope for an ar 15 my range is only 100 yards. I have an eotech red dot and it sucks at 100 yards even with a magnifier.

Is it an Eotech magnifier as the quality (at least IMO) is very good, or do you have an "off brand/generic" one? if the latter, it might just be the magnifier you're using.

Is it an Eotech magnifier as the quality (at least IMO) is very good, or do you have an "off brand/generic" one? if the latter, it might just be the magnifier you're using.

I have an old vortex 3x magnifier. I don't think its the worst but not the best either, and I can be pretty consistent with it from a bench. I not looking to put holes in holes, though. I am just wondering about the OP's accuracy expectation for his gun.

What ammo are you shooting? Is it match ammo or 10MOA spec'ed steel cased 55gr FMJ training ammo.

What kind of AR is it? A rack grade AR built to the TDP is spec'd to be 4MOA. Hobby guns may be built to significantly less accurate standards.

Its amazing how many people don't take this into account.  You mean my $400 PSA rifle won't put holes in holes with Tula ammo at 100 yards?  This thing must be a piece of crap! 

I didn't know the spec was 4moa, I'm happy everything I own has been able to shoot 1MOA with match ammo at 100 yards as long as I do my part.

Primary Arms has a rifle scope area on their website listing lots of scopes by vendor.  Worth a look.  As previously stated, "What is your budget/price range?".  For me at 100 yards, 1-4 or 1-6 would be plenty for "three gun" type shooting.  A little more power for "bullseye" type shooting.  If my eyes were like days of old, I'd still be using irons.  Sometimes scopes are more of a pain.

I have the vortex magnifier and I have a 1700 daniel defence ar but I do use steel ammo cause it's cheap I'm not a competitive shooter but the red dot can't hit a quarter at 100 yards. I'm looking to spend like 200 on a decent scope

A red dot can't hit anything. It is you that can or can not hit a quarter at 100 yards.

That's not a put down, so please don't take it that way. I don't think I can do it consistently either. The difference is I am not blaming the optic for my lack of ability or have fantastic expectations of what my gear is capable of. What it is is a simple statement of realistic expectations. For a fact there are plenty of shooters that are capable consistently hitting a quarter at that distance with a RDS on a quality rifle shooting good ammo.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.

I have the vortex magnifier and I have a 1700 daniel defence ar but I do use steel ammo cause it's cheap I'm not a competitive shooter but the red dot can't hit a quarter at 100 yards. I'm looking to spend like 200 on a decent scope

If you're trying to shoot for tight groups, you have the wrong scope, the wrong rifle, and the wrong ammo. Precision shooting demands that your gear be manufactured with that in mind. The typical cold hammer forged barrel is a 1MOA barrel at best. Surplus brass cased is 2-4MOA ammo, at best. Steel cased is even worse. An RDS with little to no magnification is also the wrong optic choice as the reticle isn't designed for the task. No matter how good of a shooter you are, if the weak link in your gear is say a 3MOA barrel, you won't consistently shoot better than 3MOA provided that you as the shooter are doing your job. This is like trying to drive a car at 160mph when the final gear tops out at 130.

Now, you can certainly improve or maximize your accuracy with a magnified optic and changing your ammunition. Most factory Daniel Defense rifles in my experience are combat accurate rifles meaning about 2MOA. If you're wanting to see how accurate your setup can be at 100 yards, I'd suggest a medium powered scope in the 8x to 12x range. SWFA sells a mil/mil 10x for $300 which is a great value given the build quality and clarity of the glass.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.

To a point. Using random branches as arrows will make a comedy of the most skilled brave. 

I've used to shoot a red dot in competitions, and for me the cold hard truth is that a 2MOA dot won't let me shoot better then 2MOA on the average. Combine that with bulk cheap ammo and hitting a sub-MOA target (which a quarter is) becomes an exercise in area effect fire. 

Sure, I can zero for the top of the dot set at given brightness, but ultimately even the best indian is going to have to wave around a medicine bag and hope if he wishes to hit that consistently.I'm not saying that those shots can't be made from a bench, with match ammo under ideal conditions, I'm saying that a lot of stuff has to be just right. 

Now, I have no idea if the OP has the skill, the barrel, or the eyes to shoot 1moa with a EOTech, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the ammo.  

I'm a fan of Redfield Scopes. I have a Redfield on my heavy barrel AR and consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. I have also found it beneficial (for me anyway) to use a 1 piece cantilever mount for my scope. The standard rings did not give me the correct relief or height.

OP, didn't meant to sound harsh. One inch is an arbitrary measurement; don’t get hung up on calipers. My point was shooting consistent small groups is difficult, even with good equipment, and it requires practice.

If you set up on a bench at a range, treat it like a practice session. Log book? Bullet weight and type? Barrel twist rate? Temperature, range conditions? What is your shot process? (Do you have one?) Everything, even little things like, “where is your finger on the trigger?” does affect your accuracy. After a couple of sessions like this, you have a baseline, and once you have that, start changing things to see if you get better. Otherwise, you’re just throwing around money.

I tried to get into High Power rifle years ago and I didn't have the money (or maturity or patience) to do well – but I did learn a lot. Good luck with it.