Sign in to follow this  
Arne

Do new NRA Ads influence NJ law?

Today in NJ on a cable tv channel, two different NRA ads appeared, asking for the new members. One had a Navy Seal as the spokesperson, and I thought it was a well done ad. Any opinions on the ads? Especially if you think they well have an impact on influencing a change in NJ law for lawful exercise of all rights protected by the Constitution of the United States in the State of New Jersey.

I think the ads are ok.

I think they might get more NRA members, which might be nice.  At worst, they might soften people's perception of the NRA, which would be good.

I don't know how they would influence the laws.  Our elected officials vote the way their parties tell them to, regardless of personal opinion or their constituents' opinions.  The Republican party in NJ (barely) defends the 2A, the Democratic party has been told not to defend the 2A, so they don't, even if they'd like to.  Republicans can't support 2A more than they do because of the demographics of the state, and Democrats can't support 2A more than they do because they will be removed by the machine in the next primary.

Judges who have long terms who drift from their previous party affiliation as they are allowed to actually think about issues are the only hope.

I haven't seen the spots so I can't comment on them directly.  I would however like to see them run Shaneen Allen's story and what they are doing to support her.  I think we'll get much further by highlighting how many of our existing firearms laws ensnare the law abiding citizens.  

Nope NJ is a lost cause.

This is why I still read CT gun forums.

Even though they have a pretty difficult situation to deal with, people over there still believe in some notion of activism.  Meanwhile for us Jersey-folk, we continuously shoot ourselves in the collective foot.  Guess it's a great thing we don't pump our gas, huh?

Even though they have a pretty difficult situation to deal with, people over there still believe in some notion of activism.  Meanwhile for us Jersey-folk, we continuously shoot ourselves in the collective foot.  Guess it's a great thing we don't pump our gas, huh?

Maryland, Hawaii, and New Jersey comprise a category of their own. Connecticut and NY have their crazy magazine capacity bans, but their citizens still enjoy the right to carry a firearm, more or less. CT is, like NJ, technically a "may issue" state but last time I checked it was a de facto shall-issue state. Similarly, you can get a restricted carry license in all but a handful of NY counties, and an unrestricted permit in slightly more than half all counties. Massachusetts also issues carry permits regularly, particularly west of Worcester.

Don't get me wrong. A seven-round capacity is constitutionally absurd; even having to apply for a permit is in my opinion B.S. 

"Activism" depends on your situation. Gun owners in NY complain about having a 3-year residency requirement and a 7-round limit. People in CT complain about other violations of their rights. Here we can go to jail for 10 years for having a hollow-point .22lr fall out of our range bag. Night and day.

Ads were on Fox , saw them while watching The Five , don't know why anyone would think they would have any bearing on NJ laws.

Maybe not a direct link to changing NJ laws but if they help get people thinking / discussing the issues it may have some positive effect. If it saves just one person from being anti or becoming a lib they are worth it! Plus who would have ever thought we would see an NRA ad in NJ!

Even though they have a pretty difficult situation to deal with, people over there still believe in some notion of activism. Meanwhile for us Jersey-folk, we continuously shoot ourselves in the collective foot. Guess it's a great thing we don't pump our gas, huh?

Yeah. NJ is only a lost cause because we've given up.

Maybe not a direct link to changing NJ laws but if they help get people thinking / discussing the issues it may have some positive effect. If it saves just one person from being anti or becoming a lib they are worth it! Plus who would have ever thought we would see an NRA ad in NJ!

Exactly

Went to the NRA website where all the new ads are posted and watched a few more. The NRA has come a long way since just making sure the safety's on.

The ads are encouraging. Sad too, though, that so much has been lost that these are needed today.

Nope NJ is a lost cause.

Yup.

For those who think we still have hope, look at last year's State elections, ALL the incumbents cruise to reelection.......no opposition.  And 2013 was a full blitzkrieg assault on whatever we have with regards to the privilege of owning a gun.  Sure didn't change anybody's voting habits.