Sign in to follow this  
PK90

Cutting down receiver extension

I have a full length AR-15 M4 receiver extension that was taken off a Stag post-ban rifle. It takes a CAR length buffer, so the interior is the same length as a short tube. What can I expect when I cut the tube an inch or two from the end? Anyone do this? Is the tube hollow or solid?

Receiver extensions are hollow. What "short tube" are you referencing? Do you mean the four position extensions?

I think he means the same length as a "standard tube". For some reason the ban compliant stocks I've seen that ship from some of these companies have a buffer tube that's basically A2 length and use a screw to attach the collapable style stock into a single threaded hole on the buffer tube. I think this is what he's working on?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The post-ban extension is 10.5" and the M4 is 7.25". checko is right. I do not know if there is a spacer or the tube is solid. I want to make it somewhere in between.

ETA: This will be for a pistol using a Sig Brace. I know an expensive KAK is available, but I want to make my own and use a portion of the tab as a stop for the brace.

Well a dowel should be able to tell you that.

I don't think we're on the same page. Interior dimensions are the same. But there is more tube extending past where a standard tube would end. He doesn't know if its solid or an air pocket in there. My guess is hollow

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What I'm saying is poke it with a stick and see what it does. If it is a spacer you might be able to tell. Delrin and aluminum spacers seem to be what you can buy nowdays, but who knows whats in there. I know a very good competition shooter who claims to have spaced his with a chopped down toilet plunger handle, so it could be anything really.

Shine a light in there and poke it with a stick :)

Heck have you turned it upside and knock it against the table to see if it falls out?

I ended up getting the KAK and also ordered their BCG. Found a discount code for labor day. Sometimes it is easier to go retail then setting up a dealer account. Especially for personal use.

Thanks all for the assistance. Somethings are left to be pondered another day.