wkeilsw

P2P in NJ

I have a question. To me it doesnt make sense to get more than 2 p2p. By the time you hit the 3rd permit you be at like 92 days and The third would be expired and you would have to ask for an extension.

Please someone correct me if Im wrong.

Thanks

Get three, use the first one ASAP, the second 30 or 31 days later then you have about 29 days to use the last one.

I think I said that right...

You did.

To put it another way, you need a minimum of 61 days to exercise three permits. Optimally you purchase on day 1, day 31, and day 61. 90 days of permit validity minus  61 days of minimum elapsed purchase time leaves 29 days to play with to allow for delivery of permits (as opposed to the actual issue date) timing, Sundays and holidays with no NICS etc.

You can easily do three permits in 90 days. But four is impossible with the 30 day wait law. But as just stated extensions, although at the discretion of the issuing authority, are normally doable.

I have a question. To me it doesnt make sense to get more than 2 p2p. By the time you hit the 3rd permit you be at like 92 days and The third would be expired and you would have to ask for an extension.

Please someone correct me if Im wrong.

Thanks

I'm not going to say that you are wrong but I think you are wrong.

My thinking is to get as many as "reasonably" usable in the 6 month period (90 days plus extension).

They only cost 2 bucks and it's better to have them and not need/use them than to need them and not have them to be used, you know?

You may come across a deal or other situation where you can transfer a pistol and it would suck to not have the permit on hand.

I usually apply for 5 or 6 at a time and then reapply when I drop the original batch off to be renewed, figuring it takes 2 months or so for my town to issue new permits.  This way I always have a supply on hand.

I applied for four, granted im a new gun owner but I'm planning to use two within the 90 days and get the other two extended, I'd rather the trip to extend the other two, then go thru the application process again. And if they don't extend, I'll have the application ready to hand in if turned down. I don't know how my town is with extending, so I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the replies. I have one more question.

Do they have to send reference letters everyime you get new p2p?

They don't *have* to.... They might *choose* to, if they want to be anal about the process and are looking for reasons to "delay" or "deny." Also, they might do so if there are new people that are administering the "process" for the local PD (i.e. new investigator, CLEO, etc.).

To me, it would not make much sense to send the same letters out to the same people, over and over again, especially if it hasn't been that long since they were 1st (or most recently) sent.

(Day 1) + (30 OGAM) + (30 OGAM) = 61 Days

(90 Days) - (61 Days) = 29 Extra Days

If you do an exemption, are LEO, or acquire C&R, the OGAM does not apply.

We all know the law is worded that way..........but good luck getting the NJSP to approve a sub 30 day NICS check on a handgun based on having a C&R. It's not even an option in the online system.

We all know the law is worded that way..........but good luck getting the NJSP to approve a sub 30 day NICS check on a handgun based on having a C&R. It's not even an option in the online system.

C&Rs are exempt prior to the use of of the exemption forms, like inherited handguns and guns in for repair. Sorry, I am not familiar with the online system.

I'll defer to PK but I think the gun you are purchasing that is exempted from OGAM as an LEO has to be a duty weapon....

Nope. According to the law, any firearm that the LEO wishes to acquire can be done outside the OGAM law. However, as usual, the NJSP FIU says 'as long as the caliber is consistent to what police normally use', then no exemption is needed. :facepalm:

Nope. According to the law, any firearm that the LEO wishes to acquire can be done outside the OGAM law. However, as usual, the NJSP FIU says 'as long as the caliber is consistent to what police normally use', then no exemption is needed. :facepalm:

So technically a LEO can go buy a new gun every week for a year if they wanted? Assuming they were issued all those permits. Why do they get that kind of special treatment while the rest of us have our rights infringed upon? :nono:

Get three, use the first one ASAP, the second 30 or 31 days later then you have about 29 days to use the last one.

I think I said that right...

You are exactly right.

Also the FFL I use (OMG Guns in Bayonne) will hold guns and shipped to them till my P2P arrives.

I have heard the c&r exemption doesnt actually work although I never tried it

FFL03Blackedsuper_zps5375bd7f.jpg

When you go to do a NICS check, there is a section that asks if the transferee is applying to transfer more than one handgun in a 30 day period. If you answer yes, it then asks you what type of exemption the transferee is requesting. Having a C&R license isn't one of the options........