MasterAron

SCFGPA (Milltown Rd in Bridgewater) Not accepting members for 3 years?

Hey everyone. First time post, but I've been lurking for years.

I'm currently a member of the Heritage Guild and use their Easton range for shooting and ammo, etc... Recently, I've started purchasing from Lou's in Raritan (better prices and better service). I'm waiting for my LC9s to come in.

I live less than a mile from Somerset County Fishing and Game range and ever since I've tried, membership has been closed for years. I've followed up every year (every 3 months, usually), to check and it is still closed for membership.

Does anyone have any information about the range or would someone consider bringing a guest along once in awhile? Going to Easton is a pain when I just want to have some fun one afternoon.

Is anyone a member?

Easton may be a bit of a haul but have you considered EFGA?   For $30/year (+$30/yr for a guest pass, good for 3 guests) you can join.   The range is about 10-15 mins from HG & Sarco so you can stop in for ammo as you get off of 78 and then cruise over the hill to the range.

Yeah unfortunately the board has kept it closed. I think we should reopen the membership a bit - we could use some new blood instead of old fudd there.

Think the younger guys (like me) need to make it out to more of the meetings and be heard.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I hope they open the membership. I was stupid a few years ago when it was open but didnt apply.

By the way: if you are around come shoot shotgun this saturday at Clinton WMA. Its closer !!!!!

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/71755-shotgun-shootout-sept-6th-at-clinton-wma/

The infrequent times I get guessed into the SCFG range, it's empty. Weekdays or weekends, there's usually only one shooter or none at all. I'm surprised they don't open up memberships more often with that said. 

It seems like it's ran by [stubborn] old farts.

The infrequent times I get guessed into the SCFG range, it's empty. Weekdays or weekends, there's usually only one shooter or none at all. I'm surprised they don't open up memberships more often with that said.

It seems like it's ran by [stubborn] old farts.

That's basically the perfect set up: you get dues from maxed out membership with little wear on the range.

I was in Lou's picking up my LC9s and mentioned the same in the shop. Both guys there also complained that they tried to join and couldn't. Seriously, they need to really open the range up to local people, especially ones that support the area.

sota, I may take you up on that offer if it stands. I'm on Vroom Dr, by the way.

Trust me when I say the powers that be are fully aware of the hoards at the door that want into the club. I believe they want to open up membership just as much as we want them to, but they can't for "reasons." (some are valid, some are questionable.) I'm in and I'm doing what I can to help get membership opened. Be warned though I have some suggestions that will make it so attendance to work days improves, in addition to financial changes.

problem is we do the same thing... work days give you a "credit" on dues. we still have crap turnout.

possible issues...

credit is too high

dues are too low

general membership is too old

work days are scheduled badly

I'll present my suggestions to the board when the time comes.

Opening up membership depends on which side of the fence you are on. I love that when I go there are only 0-2 other people there. I can spread out and enjoy my membership. It is a very old range with an old backstop. It's a local club, not a for-profit business so amenities are sparse. That whole area has been built up over the years, and the town is looking for any reason to shut it down. It's a safe place, but open up membership too much and it could be gone for everyone.

The point is that there are local residents that would like the opportunity to join. Raise the dues, whatever. Just give us a chance to join. The money infusion can be used to upgrade whatever is needed, too.

You know that most gun people are very friendly and willing to go above and beyond.

Basically, joining SCFGPA is like being made- once in a while they open up the books and extend a few guys the privilege. And their friends get giddy too because they can now come along for the ride.

Then you're part of the family (unless you're name is Tommy, in which case it might end badly).

Plus guns are involved.

I asked about a list and there was a big FAT NO as to that one. Looking for a few people to keel over for a spot.

I live 5 mins away and would love to go to that range so close to me. I either head to EFGA or Heritage to use their ranges which is 45 mins away with no traffic. Great places to shoot but a little bit far away.