Sign in to follow this  
Vlad G

Sept 14th, CJ 2-Gun match (shotgun/pistol)

Hi guys, our regularly scheduled USPSA match for Sept 14th is being kinda/sorta replaced with a 2gun match, and maybe a pistol match. 

The primary goal here is to run a 2gun match where you will need to use a Shotgun and a pistol on all 6 stages, think of it as 3gun minus a rifle because we are not allowed to use rifles in the pits. 

We will be using the USPSA multigun rule set which can find here: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/RifleShotgunMultigun%20Rules%201-1-2014final.pdf

My current intention is that all stages can be shot either as 2gun or a standard pistol stage, but I can't promise I can make that happen, if you register in one of the pistol divisions, then keep a close eye on the cjuspsa.org website the day before the match in case I need to cancel the pistol only part of the match.  If the plan of dual purpose stages works, we will effectively run two separate matches at the same time, scored each in its own way. No, you can not register for BOTH matches, you can only shoot one of them.

We will take a small departure from the USPSA rules when it comes to divisions, because I'm not sure everyone has the "correct" equipment, the two divisions we will have are Pump Shotgun and Semi-auto shotgun. For handgun you can use pretty much whatever you want except open guns, up to NJ capacities. Shotguns will all start with 5 rounds in gun max. but you can load addional ammo after the beep if your shotgun permits it (ie: if you have a 8 shot pump, you might start with 4 in the tube and one in the chamber, but I don't care if you load it all the way to 8 in the tube after the start beep). Right now I don't plan to have an Open division but if there are enough people who want to shoot open I can do that as well, just send me an email. 

You will need a holster that really holds your handgun. I'm ok with race holsters but you may be running with a shotgun and a holstered handgun so it better hold it well, if it falls you are DQed. 

All shotguns should have chamber flags, and when not in use they should be stored in a case or with a visible chamber flag inserted. If you don't have a chamber flag and can't get one between now and then, I'll have some approximate chamber flags made by then, but really bring your own. 

On every stage you will at some point abandon either your shotgun or your handgun and prescribed receptacles.  These will be either barrels or buckets positioned strategically, and when you abandon a fire arm in one of these receptacles it needs to be either on safe or empty. Doing otherwise will be a DQ .  

Bring at least 100 rounds of shot (6 to 8 shot will do) and a few slugs. We will not require buckshot and using buckshot on a steel target will be a DQ, so leave it home. The slugs will be used on designated paper targets and nothing else, shooting steel targets with a slug will be a DQ and I'll bill you for the destroyed steel target. 

The average stage will require 5-15 shots with your shotgun, so have a way to carry spare shotgun ammo on your person, I don't care if you use race shell holders, caddies, ammo belts, put it in your pocket, or hold it between your teeth.

The 2gun match will be scored factored time plus. That means your score  for a stage is the time it took you to run it, with penalties added for misses and so on in the form of additional time. Each stage will be worth 100 points which will go to the person with the smallest score (shortest time adjusted for penalties), and everyone else gets a percentage of that based on how their time compares. 

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Oh and the form is up if you want to sign up, I'll be linking it on the cjuspsa.org webpage later tonight : http://cjuspsa.coffeecup.com/forms/CJ_2gun_Form/

power factor is pistol only and doesn't apply to 2 gun? Or are you having also major/minor in the 2 gun?

Correct, when you score something in timeplus, power factor doesn't matter. You still have to knock down the steel so ... If you as for calibration I'll think if I'm gonna do that with my shotgun or my handgun ;)

What about the guys that have semi auto shotguns that hold over 6 rounds, they going to be in a class of their own?

As I said, all shotguns will start with 5 rounds in the gun at maximum. I am not a lawyer but I advise shooters to not break the law. Note that actual max semi-auto shotgun capacity in NJ is 7 (6+1), 2 rounds higher then the starting capacity for any stage. So if people want to shove extra rounds after the beep, they can. 

The stages will be designed to be NJ friendly. 

Sorry, I don't understand the question?

I am confused about the open division rule for this. Can we use a pistol with a red dot but no comp, a pistol with dot and comp, or no pistol optics allowed at all, or no open guns but production guns with an optic are allowed (such as the mp core)? Or were you just stating there are no separate divisions for major/minor? Thanks!

I'm saying that there is no open division, which means that handguns with optics OR shotgun with optics don't have a home. If there are enough shooters who want to shoot open, I can be persuaded to change my mind. I don't even mind if someone wants to shoot open, but they may end up shooting for no score. Realistically, I can always add a division later for open, even on match day, but open is an odd bird in multigun. 

I do strongly suggest people read the USPSA rules, because open division in multigun is very different then other division, including magazine fed shotguns, speed loaders and so on.