Bully

44 Mag, What Would You Get?

I feel like I need a .44 Magnum in my life. I have an Anaconda which is nice, but I don't like to shoot it all that much given that if anything breaks getting it fixed is a bit difficult and definitely expensive.

This will be a range toy and if I ever get to pig hunt down by my mom (Fla) I'd use it there.

Suggestions?

Christopher

I have a S&W pre-29 and it is an amazing revolver with a super smooth trigger pull. That said, I recently purchased a Ruger Redhawk that is an outstanding shooter that is built like a tank. The S&W trigger is definitely nicer, but the cost was considerably higher. With a DIY trigger job on my Redhawk that included a lighter spring, trigger and hammer shims, and smoothing the internal casting roughness has yielded an incredible SA pull and an improved DA pull also, but it is still not as sweet as the DA of the S&W trigger. The Ruger is a better value for the money, but if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, then buy a S&W.

I'd buy the same one I've had since 1980!  A Smith and Wesson 29-2 with 8 3/8" tube.  Fits really nice in my Uncle Mike's codura nylon holster.  Used to bring it quite often to indoor USPSA Match back before ammo went through the roof....  Once during a Par-Time Drill, from a surrender start, I was able to get it out of the holster and get off FIVE rounds of .44 Spl (which make 180 PF--more than needed for Major) in a mere 2.68 seconds!  3-Alphas, 1-Charlie and 1-Delta (not too shabby considering time and 7 yards distance!).

With younger eyes it's a 100 yard gun...I used to be able to hit a gallon paint can all day long at 100 yards!  So don't think yer showin'-off by shootin' Range Zombies at 10 or 15 yards, lol!

If you're actually going to bring it hunting, find a holster for what you wanna shoot FIRST.  Even Dirty Harry didn't use a holster for the Automag, lol!

Dave

Super Blackhawk, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, M29 are all nice, and have their pluses and minuses. I've had three of the four and like the early Redhawk as a rugged hunting arm. The Super RH is the RH on steroids. The M29 is more refined and seems to balance the best. (The Ruger double actions can be crude compared to the S&W until slicked up and additions like a spring kit are installed.) I've shot the DE, which is nice and very comfortable to shoot, but its semi-auto design rules it out as a hunting arm if you ever want to venture into the Pennsy woods.

Smokin .50, on 04 Sept 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

I'd buy the same one I've had since 1980!  A Smith and Wesson 29-2 with 8 3/8" tube.  Fits really nice in my Uncle Mike's codura nylon holster.  Used to bring it quite often to indoor USPSA Match back before ammo went through the roof....  Once during a Par-Time Drill, from a surrender start, I was able to get it out of the holster and get off FIVE rounds of .44 Spl (which make 180 PF--more than needed for Major) in a mere 2.68 seconds!  3-Alphas, 1-Charlie and 1-Delta (not too shabby considering time and 7 yards distance!).

With younger eyes it's a 100 yard gun...I used to be able to hit a gallon paint can all day long at 100 yards!  So don't think yer showin'-off by shootin' Range Zombies at 10 or 15 yards, lol!

If you're actually going to bring it hunting, find a holster for what you wanna shoot FIRST.  Even Dirty Harry didn't use a holster for the Automag, lol!

Dave

Who did it, you or Tony?  :)

I have a 629 and find it more of a safe queene than anything else, unless you use .44 Special. The frame just really whacks your palm pretty hard with .44 Magnum, not a lot of fun like .357 Magnum.

I bring it out from time to time just for kicks, and a bit of self-inflicted pain.  :)

I could never cotton to the grip of the Super Blackhawk with heavy loads. I probably should have explored a Bisley grip then but I wasn't that astute back in the 70's and often succumbed to impulse buys.

The Redhawk w/ 7.5" bbl. is roughly the same size as a S&W M29 with its 8 3/8" bbl. They are within a few ounces of each other in weight, the Ruger being slightly heavier. The same HKS speedloader will accommodate both. I couldn't fault either one.

I've had a Redhawk since 1985. I probably have about 20,000 rounds through it with zero problems. The factory grips can tear up your hand. I use Pachmyrs. I shoot 240 SWC at 1400 fps although if I was using it as a SD piece I would use the same bullet at 1100 fps. If you want to use heavy bullets (300 gr +) you need to get a Ruger as it has a longer cylinder than the S&W IIRC. Autos would have the same problem.

I would never buy one of those lightweight 44s.

Who did it, you or Tony?  :)

I have a 629 and find it more of a safe queene than anything else, unless you use .44 Special. The frame just really whacks your palm pretty hard with .44 Magnum, not a lot of fun like .357 Magnum.

I bring it out from time to time just for kicks, and a bit of self-inflicted pain.  :)

'Twern't ME, lol!

Buy a set of rubber grips for that gun and stop being a PUSSY, lol!  I have Pachmayers on mine and can do weak-hand ONLY drills with MAGNUM rounds for Christ's sake, lol!  At indoor action, I used to do ALL headshots up-close just because I could, lol!

Take care!

Pachmayr

Tried them. They felt great on the gun, but I didn't like them. They gripped so well they abraded the web of my hand upon recoil with heavy loads. They made my hand so raw one day in sweltering heat while taking a break from cutting the fields it was painful driving the tractor later.

Pach's are okay on the S&W, but I didn't care for them when I tried a Gripper on the Redhawk. I stuck with the stock grip. Because I hunted with that revolver in the cold weather I always wore a glove, so the stock grips were fine.

Go rugged: Ruger Super Redhawk

Go classic : s&w model 29 or 629

I have both (actually 3 of them) and agree with this.  The Ruger is a tank, the S&W a Shelby 427 Cobra (if I'm allowed to use that term to describe a S&W).  Both pack a punch but do it in completely different ways.

Ruger - strong as anything.  If you were to shoot at something and miss it would make a great club.

S&W - It just looks so damn good, and that trigger  just feels like it can't get any better. 

Regardless of which one, they are the only guns I've ever taken to the range that, after 3 rounds, everyone else on the range is standing behind me wondering what I was shooting.  

Can't go wrong with either.

Yeah... not gonna happen  :triniti:

Awesome suggestions so far. I am a S&W fanboy to some degree however I feel like a Ruger might do it if I decide to go with a revo. The AMT is neat but just too unknown a quantity for me. And although the DE is really neat, they are some seriously BIG guns. And a bit awkward for me.

Anyone else?

C