Sign in to follow this  
MasterAron

Looking for a lever gun

Well, it's between that and a new AR... but I'm more of a handgun person, so I'll probably stick with the cowboy action gun for now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on one that takes cheap ammo? I've standardized on 38spl, 9mm, and 45 auto. I know I might be crazy, but it would be really nice to find a gun that can take any of these types of ammo so I don't have to buy yet another pile of ammo type.

Brand doesn't really matter, but it would be nice to get American, obviously.

I own a Marlin in .35 Remington. Love that gun! but ammo isn't super cheap or always easy to come by, especially during hunting seasons. Many guys use them for deer hunting. Good luck finding something that will work for you, lever guns are a blast.

I've been doing some research on lever guns too.

Will probably buy one in the next year.

The Henry Big Boy is at the top of the list right now.

I really like the Marlin 1894c, but reviews are mixed since the Remington take over.

The Winchester is nice, but.more $ than I'd like to spend.

As for caliber, I really like the idea of a .30-30. But outside of deer hunting, which we can't do with a rifle in NJ, it would probably see little use.

.357 mag in a 18.5-20" barrel, on the other hand, is full of win: low recoil, 2,000+ fps and easy to find ammo.

Yes 38/357 or 45 Colt your choice.  I said 38/357 as I don't know too many with 45 Colt wheelies except Cowboy action shooters.  If you want to see some real fine levers then Taylors and Company have quite a few. 

I had a 35 Remington 336 and a 45-70 Marlin 1895, while both were great for deer/large game hunting, neither were as much fun as 38/357, the only one I kept.  Goes nicely with the Ruger single action wheelie.

I thought the Henry rifle was made in NY? I know all the material they use is US sourced only. They have a commercial on sportsmans channel all the time outlining where they get their raw materials.

The current Henry Rifle Co started out in Brooklyn and moved to Bayonne. I have a Rossi 357 that works well with 38.

I had a 35 Remington 336 and a 45-70 Marlin 1895, while both were great for deer/large game hunting, neither were as much fun as 38/357, the only one I kept. Goes nicely with the Ruger single action wheelie.

Ruger also makes a bolt action 38/357. I called Ruger to verify that it can handle both caliber a.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

You can't beat a ROSSI as a beginner or entry level gun price wise. They have a good following and can be slicked up. The HENRY is fantastic but twice the price. New MARLIN quality sucks older is better. You can also get WINCHESTER or as other people call them JAPCHESTER at least a grand or more same as with UBERTI. For me it's all about dollars. I own ROSSI'S IN pistol caliber & HENRY'S in 22 lr

It has taken a while (i.e. a few years) but it seems like the Remington built Marlins are getting much better. There were real problems right after the takeover. I had sold a Marlin 357 from that era because I never liked the action on it. I have a new Marlin 1895 Big loop in 45-70. That gun is very well put together. 

I also have a Rossi big loop lever in 357. It is a very fun gun, and surprisingly accurate. 

One gun that is always overlooked, and never should be, is the Browning. It is more expensive, but it is something to pass to your kids that you can take pride in.

I want to like the Henry guns, but I don't. Personal preference i guess. 

It has taken a while (i.e. a few years) but it seems like the Remington built Marlins are getting much better. There were real problems right after the takeover. I had sold a Marlin 357 from that era because I never liked the action on it. I have a new Marlin 1895 Big loop in 45-70. That gun is very well put together. 

I also have a Rossi big loop lever in 357. It is a very fun gun, and surprisingly accurate. 

One gun that is always overlooked, and never should be, is the Browning. It is more expensive, but it is something to pass to your kids that you can take pride in.

I want to like the Henry guns, but I don't. Personal preference i guess. 

I agree. Don't count out the Browning. Miroku has been importing high-quality arms into the U.S. since the 60's. They've been making the Superposed-copy O/U for Browning since the 70's, and they took over making Browning's Belgian BLR in the 70's. They have crafted for Browning Winchester's like the M92, M1886 and M71 in the past. Now they're handling the new Winchester's (94/1886/1873/1892/1885,) which from an appearance point of view are beautifully crafted and well put together.

The Henry looks really nice. I always liked the style of that gun.

That being said, the price is steeper than I thought it would be. I might have to get that AR instead to start.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Well, you're looking at $700-1,000 for a nice lever action, $500ish for a low end rifle and up to (maybe) $2,000 for something really nice.

For an AR, basically the same pricing except the upper limit is much higher.

Of course ($ aside) the real question is

82733-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-YF1l.gif