TonyS.

Striker Fired Guns: Which have springs that are fully or half cocked?

I believe all the striker fired pistols are considered " double action" , but with that being said.... they nearly are full cocked, but the fact that the trigger bar still has to travel back to some extent, makes it DA

When Glock started to be imported to the US there were no striker fired pistols on there market. The import criteria imposed by the GCA 68 had only SA and DA listed. ATF said it wasn't a SA so it had to be a DA. Thats why striker fired pistols are categorized as DA.

Of the common ones that I know:

Partially Cocked - S&W M&P, Glock

Fully Cooked - Walther PPQ and SA XD

Up until the last rule change in IDPA, the latter two had to shoot in ESP because they were considered single action. Now they compete in SSP with the other striker fired pistols regardless of the degree of readiness.

IIRC the Walther PPQ is "fully cocked." Try one if you haven't. Best striker fired trigger I have ever used. The M2 is on my "to buy" list.

Can anyone confirm the PPQ is 100% fully-cocked? This would make it by definition a SAO only pistol. It might be the only SAO pistol around with no manual safety or decocker. I'm interested at this point.

Can anyone confirm the PPQ is 100% fully-cocked? This would make it by definition a SAO only pistol. It might be the only SAO pistol around with no manual safety or decocker. I'm interested at this point.

I've since found some answers and I thank you guys for replying. BTW, here's some info on the PPQ.

That the trigger is better than the ppq

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Heh - heh - heh! :)

Why? You heard different?

No way.... You are joshing me...

Say it isn't true!

;)

I have the M&P, its fully cocked. When you pull the trigger, the bar pushes up the firing pin block plunger and lifts the sear to release the spring tab. There is no further movement of the firing pin spring, its only released. The apex fss removes the pre/post travel and gives a very nice break.

PPQ = Quick Defense Trigger (fully pre-cocked, fairly light pull at 5.5 lbs., extremely short trigger reset of 0.1" between shots)

So they call their trigger a QDT. It "is" a SAO only pistol with no decocker or manual safety. Now I know why everyone raves about the trigger, most if not all SA triggers are fantastic. I like it!

BTW, it would be no different then carrying a 1911 cocked an unlocked (1911 still has a grip safety though) or a Beretta 92FS/PX4 Type F with the trigger in SA mode.