Sign in to follow this  
gfl216

KSG for Christmas

My wife asked me today if I know what I want for Christmas and the first thing that popped into my head was a KSG. What do you guys think? Do you have one? Have you ever shot one? Do you think they live up to the hype? I've never actually seen one but they look pretty cool on youtube. I just don't want to spend 8 to $900 on a gimmick gun. Any info or opinions are appreciated. 

Shot one - strikes me as a Gimmick...  It's very easy to short-shuck.  You also need to get sights for it as well... It's a fun toy but how much will you use it really?  Not good for clays - 18.5" barrel is too short to hit except at short range..

KSG is a HD type shotgun.  To me its purpose is limited.  Not even good for any type of gun game I can think of.  Personally not worth the money.  Look at the Hickok45 Youtube vid to see what he says and does with it.  Do you need a shotgun?  What do you like to or would like to shoot?  Lot of money to tie up in a shotgun limited capabilities other than number of shells it holds.

This and the other bullpup, the UTAS UT-15 hit the market with a big splash but I think the hype has worn off for better configurations and values.

Shot one - strikes me as a Gimmick...  It's very easy to short-shuck.  You also need to get sights for it as well... It's a fun toy but how much will you use it really?  Not good for clays - 18.5" barrel is too short to hit except at short range..

this..   and let me stress, its VERY easy to short shuck.. 

Yeah, someone brought one to one of the shotgun shootouts at Clinton and I think everyone who tried it was having problems short stroking it. If I received one as a gift, I would immediately turn around and sell it.

I have a bunch of shotguns, my defensive shotguns are 870, 590A1, 500, Winchester 1200 Defender, Benelli M1S90, Benelli Nova Tactical, and KSG.  I bought the KSG last month and absolutely love it.  I don't know how it is any easier to short shuck than any other pump.  It works great for me.  Thinking about shedding a couple of the others.

I finally got my hands on a KSG. It seems to be solid and well made but, I think it falls into the gimmick gun category. Even though it has double the round capacity of most other combat/HD shotguns, due to the design of the gun it seems that attempting a reload under a stressful situation would be nearly impossible. I think I'll stick with my 870 and maybe ask for a SKS paratrooper for Christmas.