TonyS.

9mm Ammo Purchasing Options/Where?

OK guys, I've got shotgun and rifle experience but I'm a handgun beginner.  I just finally bought my first, a Ruger SR9. What's my best/cheapest options for getting 9mm ammo? This would be for range only, though I do intend to use the gun for home defense if I ever had to. I understand you can get ammo online but then I would have to send them a copy of my FID, right? Are there any stores here in NJ or maybe across the Delaware that have decent prices on 9mm? Thanks.

freedom Munitions has good factory reloads for range time\

http://www.freedommunitions.com/Remanufactured-Ammo-Facts-s/1951.htm

OP: What do you have against send a copy of your FPID? You usually only have to do it once and then that company retains it making reorders easier.

OP: What do you have against send a copy of your FPID? You usually only have to do it once and then that company retains it making reorders easier.

I've nothing against doing it. I honestly don't know how it works. Is it strictly via snail mail or do they accept scanned (.pdf, .jpg, .gif, etc) files? Thanks.

Most places will accept a scanned copy of your FPID for handgun ammo, and they'll keep it on file for future orders.

Personally, I buy a good portion of my 9mm from Dicks in Rockaway, the range, or I'll road trip to Cabela's and get a few different manufacturers to try out.

Check out http://shop.qualitymadecartridges.com/9MM_c2.htm I just got 200 rounds of .45 ACP 200 grain SWC and they shoot as good or better than any factory plinking ammo I've bought.

The link will take you to their 9mm ammo.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Check out http://shop.qualitymadecartridges.com/9MM_c2.htm I just got 200 rounds of .45 ACP 200 grain SWC and they shoot as good or better than any factory plinking ammo I've bought.

The link will take you to their 9mm ammo.

Are these reloads like freedom or are they new manufactor good prices either way just wondering. For the price I would think reload

X2 on Freedom Munitions. I just took a pic of the front and back of FID with my phone and e-mailed it, no problems. I've done this with other vendors as well.

As said above Freedom Munitions.    And your first order will ship free. So if you can , take advantage of that. Then just watch for their sales and $5.00 shipping

QMC hasn't offered free shipping yet but they also didn't require my FID to ship to me. With Shipping on 200 rounds of .45 it worked out to about $18 per 50 rounds. Considering that factory rounds with brass casings usually go for ~$30/box...more for 200 grain...the cost is still reasonable. I ordered on Thursday and they were delivered on Wednesday. Via FedEx Ground.

Commercial Reload Sites:

Freedom Munitions (also offers "new stock") - Have had good experience, no failures in a few hundred rounds..  

Georgia Arms - Good ammo, no failures after a couple hundred rounds....

High Country Ammo - Pretty good ammo, no failures after about 300 rounds...   

LAX Ammo - Havent purchased, but many others here have and have had a decent experience

Ventura Munitions - Havent purchased, but online reviews are mostly positives

I'm sure there are about 4 or 5 more, but cant think of them right now

New Stock sites:

Midway

Cabelas

Palmetto State Armory

SG Ammo

AIM Surplus

Selway Armory

sportsman Guide

Ammo Supply Warehouse

Natchez Shooters Supply

TargetSports USA

Cheaper Than Dirt (though I wouldnt recommend thanks to their gouging during the shortage)

Lucky Gunner

Ammo To Go

Ammo Man

.............and there about 25 more that I could name. 

Some places will require FID, some won't.  Almost all that DO will accept a scan (I have yet to run into one that wont accept a scan.  If you cant figure out HOW to send the scan, call their Cust Service and ask them).  As others have said, you only have to send once, and then afterward, just order away. 

You will almost always get a better price online (even with the shipping included).  You can sometimes find ammo in stores for a half decent price at places like Dicks or Gander Mtn or Cabelas (in or around NJ).. 

Thats my 2¢..  YMMV

It's a shame, you want to support local business, but you pay an average of $25 - $40 for a box (50-100 rds) at local shops.

You will find going on-line and purchasing 500 - 1000 round lots you can cut the price almost in half.

If you shoot regularly, or if you get involved in some of the competitive shooting like IDPA ,1000 round lots is not unreasonable.

I have never been asked to forward copies of documentation, I have been asked to verify (check a box) my age.

I use slickguns.com for leads, most of the places I buy from have been mentioned in previous post to this topic.

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. I've got lots of looking to do with all the info you've kindly provided.

One thing I meant to ask is,  since my SR-9 is brand spanking new (I've not shot it yet) would it be better to start off with brand new ammo, opposed to using reloads (such as these), to break her in?  Thanks.

Put everything through that you can. See what it likes.

Agree with this. Shoot everything from crap tula steel case to premium hp ammo thru it. I personally dont like to keep anything in the stable that won't shoot everything. Ive found the ammo that I prefer to use through using pretty much everything.

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. I've got lots of looking to do with all the info you've kindly provided.

One thing I meant to ask is, since my SR-9 is brand spanking new (I've not shot it yet) would it be better to start off with brand new ammo, opposed to using reloads (such as these), to break her in? Thanks.

Only one thing to offer with the sr9

If you get ftf's ( failure to feed) polish the feed ramp. Plenty of vids on YouTube.

Mine pretty much eats everything after I did that.

Only one thing to offer with the sr9

If you get ftf's ( failure to feed) polish the feed ramp. Plenty of vids on YouTube.

Mine pretty much eats everything after I did that.

Thanks Zeke. I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully we'll get to the range this Thursday to get her first rounds thru her.

Ive been buying rifle and pistol ammo from TropGun in PA. Super fast shipping. At the moment, they have free shipping over $99. The cases of American Eagle are a pretty good deal I think.

http://shop.tropgun.com/servlet/-strse-Ammunition-cln-Centerfire-Handgun-cln-9mm-cln-9x19-%28Luger%29/Categories

Edit: Seems the case I bought last night is no longer in stock.

So I took a chance with Target Sports and ordered 400 rounds worth of various 9mm brands yesterday afternoon. Well, to my surprise it looks like Fedex will be here tomorrow with a nice 8lb package full of goodness for me and my new best friend, SR9. (that's pronounced "Sir 9"  :D  )     Oh...yeah....