svt3183

Recommend a second revolver for me

I have a GP100 that I love, SS 38/357 with a 4" barrel, and I'm interested in getting a 2nd revolver. I want to avoid buying something too similar like I originally did with poly semi's (want an XD9 cheap?), so I'm interested in recommendations that will be different than the GP. I am not interested in snubbies. I do have one gun in mind, but would like to hear opinions first.

Have you narrowed down to it's purpose? Range toy? Competition? Home Defense?

How about caliber? Sticking with 38/357 ?

S&W 627 - 8 shots of 38/357 goodness

S&W 625 - moonclipped 6 shot .45 acp

S&W 929/986 - 9mm , either 7 shot L frame or 8 Shot N Frame

S&W 327 - a few variants, but it's a light weight scandium frame 8 shot 

Range toy. I'm open to any caliber smaller than a 44 mag.

The 625 PC is the one I've been eyeing most (wtf was S&W thinking with those grips?) and I've considered the S&W 9mm's. Got experience with these?

Have you narrowed down to it's purpose? Range toy? Competition? Home Defense?

How about caliber? Sticking with 38/357 ?

S&W 627 - 8 shots of 38/357 goodness

S&W 625 - moonclipped 6 shot .45 acp

S&W 929/986 - 9mm , either 7 shot L frame or 8 Shot N Frame

S&W 327 - a few variants, but it's a light weight scandium frame 8 shot

The 625 PC is the one I've been eyeing most (wtf was S&W thinking with those grips?) and I've considered the S&W 9mm's. Got experience with these?

The JM grips are horrible IMO, they are like a slim slippery banana, toss them and buy a nice set of houges, or whatever else floats you're boat. 

The 986/929 9mm revolvers are still fresh to the market, and not readily available. I personally do not have any experience with them, But my opinion on them is that they are a good buy for somebody who wants to get into the revolver game with consolidating calibers , or doesn't reload. The 929 is interesting because it already has the 6.5" barrel and titanium cylinder, You couldnt build a custom 627 to those specs for that price.  For somebody like me whose main caliber is already .38 , it really doesnt make sense for me to switch over to the 9mm series. 

I have one of each. My 625JM is amazing. Stoopid accurate and a joy to shoot. I truly love that gun. I have a set of Pachy's on it and it's pretty much perfect. I will most likely add a F.O. front sight but it can wait.

I also have a 986. It's the 7 shot 5" barreled 9mm revo. It's a lot of fun to shoot and equally as accurate as my other Smith's. Because of how light it is, it is a touch snappier than my 625. Not bad, just different. I have not made any changes to it and don't really plan to.

If you come up north, let me know and you can shoot them both. They are a lot of fun.

Christopher

for a pure fun range toy I love my S&W 617. 10 rds of 22 fun. Its boring as heck shooting paper altho very accurate. Bring it to our 22 range at CR at it comes alive shooting all the plates, pins and spinners.ping ping ping lol. lots of fun with cheap ammo.

Thanks Christopher. How do the triggers compare on those 2? I was looking at the 625 PC because I read it has a better trigger than the 625 JM. If you had to pick one for yourself between the 986 and 625 which would you choose based on fun to shoot?

I have one of each. My 625JM is amazing. Stoopid accurate and a joy to shoot. I truly love that gun. I have a set of Pachy's on it and it's pretty much perfect. I will most likely add a F.O. front sight but it can wait.

I also have a 986. It's the 7 shot 5" barreled 9mm revo. It's a lot of fun to shoot and equally as accurate as my other Smith's. Because of how light it is, it is a touch snappier than my 625. Not bad, just different. I have not made any changes to it and don't really plan to.

If you come up north, let me know and you can shoot them both. They are a lot of fun.

Christopher

Thanks Christopher. How do the triggers compare on those 2? I was looking at the 625 PC because I read it has a better trigger than the 625 JM. If you had to pick one for yourself between the 986 and 625 which would you choose based on fun to shoot?

I'm a bit of a revolver trigger snob, but dont look at any (newer) *FACTORY* smith and wesson and base your decision on which trigger may be better. Out of the box, they are all utter crap ( speaking double action here ) Heavy, gritty, and hard, I dont care if it's pro series, or performance center. Buy whatever variant is cheaper, and spend the extra saved cash on getting somebody to smooth the trigger up for you. It'll make worlds difference over anything that comes out of the factory. 

I'm a bit of a revolver trigger snob, but dont look at any (newer) *FACTORY* smith and wesson and base your decision on which trigger may be better. Out of the box, they are all utter crap ( speaking double action here ) Heavy, gritty, and hard, I dont care if it's pro series, or performance center. Buy whatever variant is cheaper, and spend the extra saved cash on getting somebody to smooth the trigger up for you. It'll make worlds difference over anything that comes out of the factory. 

I will second this - regardless of what S&W you get, it will require some work to get the D/A trigger to an acceptable level. I'm not quite as fussy as Alec, as my guns have to ignite factory ammo.

I will say that the 625 PC trigger is better than the 625 JM in one respect - and it isn't weight of pull. The JM trigger is ribbed (for your pleasure?), while the PC is smooth. Single action that makes no difference, but unless you shoot as much as JM (or even Alec), a long D/A range session with a ribbed trigger can become a painful experience.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

For a range toy since you have a nice revolver, go with a laser guided shotgun firing 45acp revolver, such as the S&W Governor. Its very accurate with 45acp for some target, uspsa, or bug fun, and you can run scatter or buckshot in it for taking out the plastic jugs. The laser is just icing.

I will second this - regardless of what S&W you get, it will require some work to get the D/A trigger to an acceptable level. I'm not quite as fussy as Alec, as my guns have to ignite factory ammo.

I will say that the 625 PC trigger is better than the 625 JM in one respect - and it isn't weight of pull. The JM trigger is ribbed (for your pleasure?), while the PC is smooth. Single action that makes no difference, but unless you shoot as much as JM (or even Alec), a long D/A range session with a ribbed trigger can become a painful experience.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Fussy Smussy.

When you really get into dedicated revolver guys, triggers sort of become like grips, you start to get a feel for what you like, and want uniformity across the board. Everybody will prefer different things

These days, I put .400 wide smooth triggers in all my competition revolvers - I just like the feel of them.

That being said though, there are plenty of guys out there that will do the same with Ribbed / Serrated triggers, I just dont personally enjoy them. If you get a gun that has it and do not like them, you could always take a dremel sanding wheel and take off the ribs and make them smooth.

FYI on what triggers you'll see these days typically ( from what i've seen )

Performance Center guns - .312 wide smooth, or .312 ribbed

Pro Series - .400 smooth

Older " Target " variants had .500 wide triggers, typically ribbed , but ive seen some smooth too. 

I have a GP100 that I love, SS 38/357 with a 4" barrel, and I'm interested in getting a 2nd revolver. I want to avoid buying something too similar like I originally did with poly semi's (want an XD9 cheap?), so I'm interested in recommendations that will be different than the GP. I am not interested in snubbies. I do have one gun in mind, but would like to hear opinions first.

The GP100, exactly your configuration, is my favorite gun. It shoots .38 specials smooth as silk, no recoil that I notice. Very nice, manageable in .357 magnum as well. I have a couple of targets at 15-yards to prove it.

My second favorite is my SP101. Definitely more snappy and five vs. six rounds, about 3" barrel, smaller frame. The SP101 would definitely be my backup gun if I'm ever able to carry.

My other "heavy" revolver, the S&W 617 with 10 rounds of .22lr, is the gun I shoot the most. Hundreds and hundreds of rounds per trip to CR. More accurate in my hands and far less problematic than my Browning Buckmark, which still has FTEs about once per magazine. 

We had a discussion in one of the other forums regarding the Taurus Judge and the S&W variant, which shoot .410 shot shells and .45 colt. I got creamed in that discussion. Regardless, I may get one after my next series of permits comes through, but I'm reluctant to add two more calibers. 

There are also some very interesting 9mm revolvers out there, which again will help you conserve calibers if you already have a 9x19 pistol.

I would get the 586 (basically a 686) in 6" in a heartbeat if it was a little more different than what I have. I may still get one eventually just because it's awesome.

..and now for something completely different.... well, maybe not...

S&W 686. I just held that a few days ago and like Bon Scott sang, it was love at first feel. :)

My first handgun was a SW 686 4". My brother had the GP100. Very similar and I feel not worth having both. I lost interest in revolvers and sold it years ago. I had an extra permit with nothing to buy, so picked up the SW Governor. My brother had the Judge, which was very inaccurate. i wanted something in 45acp to share ammo with the 1911. I also used my Governor in a uspsa match, no problems with steel at 20 yards, it is very accurate with 45acp. I got the laser model for the kids, they love blasting the plasit water jugs with 410.