gleninjersey

What Is A "FUDD"?

From Urban Dictionary:

Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.

(I only quoted that because they put it better than I would have)

LOL!  

I think it a reference to the attitude of "gun grabs don't matter to me, because they don't want to take my huntin gun".  

What they don't understand is they aren't grabbing the hunting guns YET...

It's a derogatory term used by the mall ninja low speed high drag crew that think there are all specops swat team stack members or operator's because they own ar ak style rifles.....for those that have a different opinion than they do

That's about as succinct a you can get.

Now, that's about as one sided as you're describing. I haven't yet graduated from mall ninja skool yet but, I have been face to face with some FUDDS. Sometimes they are just snobby hunters, sometimes they think only the guns they like and use are relevant, and sometimes they truly believe politicians when they say, "we don't want your guns, only their guns"

It's a derogatory term used by the mall ninja low speed high drag crew that think there are all specops swat team stack members or operator's because they own ar ak style rifles.....for those that have a different opinion than they do

Amazingly !!!

I agree with you Nick!

I fully qualify as some kind of Neo-Luddite and/or Fudd.

I do own a couple of semi-auto handguns (both were priced too good to pass up) and one auto-loading .22 rifle (Marlin Model 60), but the majority of my firearms are decidedly analog:

Mostly revolvers, most of them blued. All of them have a set of wood grips (though sometimes the stainless guns will wear rubber target grips at the range).

And even the bottom feeders are hammer-fired.

In long guns, it’s all pump and break open shotguns, bolt action rifles and a couple of single shots. All of them are blued steel and most of the stocks are wood (only the HD shotguns get to sport synthetic stocks).

All the sights on my guns are open/iron, except on two hunting guns, which are scoped. I was going to write “both long and handguns” because I know that optics on handguns are a thing now. But I figured it was pretty clear that I’m not the kind of guy who’d be running a red dot on a handgun.

In fact, I don’t care if a gun even has a rail (except for the aforementioned scoped long guns), and nothing on any of my guns ever needs a battery.

And my wish list consists of a lot of wheel guns and some 1911s (to compliment the .45ACP revolvers, of course).

So, I’m basically a Fudd. Except that…

My main, and almost exclusive, reason for owning firearms is defensive.

I do hunt. In part for sport (though I only hunt what I eat and I eat what I hunt), but mainly because it’s a skill that may someday be useful. And no, not because I’m some kind of a prepper. But if both my wife and I lost our jobs and were really struggling, knowing the woods and how to take game would be useful, even if civilization is humming along just fine.

It’s also a fun way to spend some time with friends and the only motivation I can think of to get up at the crack of dawn and go hike in the woods.

But if I never got to hunt again, I’d be just fine. It’s not a lifestyle thing for me and certainly isn’t my raison d’armes.

I also don’t play gun games, do competitive shooting, etc. I’ve thought about and even made plans to get involved a couple of times, but it never worked out. Probably because my interest in it was lukewarm at best.

In fact, that’s a lot like my interest in modern sporting rifles. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve had a Russian Saiga, Yugo AK-74, M&P15 Sport or PSA blem lower/upper/BCG/LPK, etc. in my online shopping cart, only to balk before hitting the “confirm” button, I’d be halfway to one of those halloweenish Black Rain Ordnance receivers (you know, the ones with the nifty skulls).

So, unlike the proverbial Fudd/sports shooter, I get it. I get that guns and gun rights go beyond what I happen to be into.

And I fully understand that every infringement, even on something that I have no interest in at all, is an infringement on MY rights as well.

Even if I could somehow be sure that the antis would stop far short of restricting the guns I own, I would oppose them at every incremental taking of OUR rights.

I’m a staunch believer in the right to keep and bear arms. In fact, given my position on the issue, I’m what most people would call a Second Amendment absolutist. Except it’s not even about the 2nd Amendment for me. While I’m certainly thankful that the Founders codified the RKBA in the Bill of Rights, I, along with many others (like the Heller Court), understand that the Constitution does not grant that right.

So, just because I don’t personally want a Punisher decal laden AR-10 (and think it’s kinda silly), that doesn’t mean the next guy should be banned from getting 100 of them if that’s his thing.

Instead, I’m 100% for the unlicensed purchase, ownership, transfer and carry of any firearm and/or accessory. That includes suppressors, magazines of any capacity, SBRs, sawed-off shotguns, AR pistols, full-auto guns, etc., even though I have no personal interest in any of those items myself (well maybe a suppressor for my .22 target pistol).

So, unlike the proverbial Fudd/sports shooter, I get it. I get that guns and gun rights go beyond what I happen to be into.

And I fully understand that every infringement, even on something that I have no interest in at all, is an infringement on MY rights as well.

Even if I could somehow be sure that the antis would stop far short of restricting the guns I own, I would oppose them at every incremental taking of OUR rights.

You aren't a FUDD.

Going off topic, I only recently learned that the term mall ninja was coined to describe an actual person, or at least an actual internet persona. A person claimed to be a member of an elite mall security unit who was a pracitioner of ninjutsu and had boots that allowed him to walk on walls. Do a search for 'gecko45'. Hilarious stuff.

You guys are all spot-on!  Most Mall Ninjas are kids who are still wet behind the ears.  Most Fudds are Seniors who vote Democratic since Goldwater was defeated by the commercial with the lil' girlie and the NUKE blast.  Fudds are usually anti-black rifle and will never demonstrate to protect their own rights or ours.  I think that Fudds are a dying breed.  I know a lot of retirees that have AR-15's and Garands and KNOW how to use them!

I love and appreciate all types of guns and teach others how to use 'em, so I'm neither a Fudd or a Mall Ninja.

Although I have a preference for older guns with wooden stocks, I got to use a friends' KSG 15 round 12 ga. pump to blast the berm all to hell and gave it a good ride, lol!  So even though I love black powder, there's hope for me yet, lol!

fudds are assholes who don't care about 2A at all. as long as they can have their scoped deer 30-06 deer rifle and shotguns they are happy. the only semi auto gun they like is their duck gun. if you don't like what they like then they will berate you and tell you that you are the problem and you don't need X rounds to kill a deer. they are gun owners who go against their own self interest.

Going off topic, I only recently learned that the term mall ninja was coined to describe an actual person, or at least an actual internet persona. A person claimed to be a member of an elite mall security unit who was a pracitioner of ninjutsu and had boots that allowed him to walk on walls. Do a search for 'gecko45'. Hilarious stuff.

OMG, I remember reading the shrine to Gecko45 and almost pissing myself. Time for a re-read... I wish that guy was still around.

ETA - For those who havent seen yet... http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

The funny thing is that both sides make quite a point on a number of topics.....  Assholes?  Might be strong....but the back and forth derogatory stereotypes are the problem.

Let me play devils advocate and in doing so is not indicative of my stance, of which I am sure I have been quite clear over the years.  *BUT* let me have some fun.

Advocation on -

Let's not forget, some of those FUDD's, actually have been on the two way range.....and many more have died FOR your 2a..........they see what carnage can be wrought when a weapon and make no mistake about it, we call them guns pistols firearms, they are weapons.  They have seen first hand what they can do when used in a terrible way.  So I can see why they might ask, why DO you need a 30round pmag?  Its not like your playing in the sand box.

What you FAIL to realize the hunter FUDD is the backbone of firearms ownership in the USA, as well as the FUTURE of gun ownership in the US.

Advocation off -

Instead of either side demonizing the other etc........maybe just maybe if you pull both together they make a valid point.

But that whole find the middle ground has been beat to death.....and I will say it again absolutism is a failed policy.

Wow Nick, couldn't be said any better. I cannot stand tactitards but am not a fudd. I do not understand the obsession with ARs and the call of duty crowd. I think if people actually had to lug one around a bit, their attitudes would change a little.

At one far end of the gun owner spectrum is the FUDD.  Owns one shotgun for deer and one for small game.  Thinks all other guns are stupid.

At the other far end of the gun owner spectrum is the Tacti-tard.  Wears black or camo fatigues to the indoor range.  Brings 12 handguns and 35 loaded magazines for each to the range.  When not shooting, he's telling his fellow shooters how they're doing it wrong and why his selection of firearms is superior to theirs.

The funny thing is that both sides make quite a point on a number of topics.....  Assholes?  Might be strong....but the back and forth derogatory stereotypes are the problem.

Let me play devils advocate and in doing so is not indicative of my stance, of which I am sure I have been quite clear over the years.  *BUT* let me have some fun.

Advocation on -

Let's not forget, some of those FUDD's, actually have been on the two way range.....and many more have died FOR your 2a..........they see what carnage can be wrought when a weapon and make no mistake about it, we call them guns pistols firearms, they are weapons.  They have seen first hand what they can do when used in a terrible way.  So I can see why they might ask, why DO you need a 30round pmag?  Its not like your playing in the sand box.

What you FAIL to realize the hunter FUDD is the backbone of firearms ownership in the USA, as well as the FUTURE of gun ownership in the US.

Advocation off -

Instead of either side demonizing the other etc........maybe just maybe if you pull both together they make a valid point.

But that whole find the middle ground has been beat to death.....and I will say it again absolutism is a failed policy.

Well said.

At one far end of the gun owner spectrum is the FUDD.  Owns one shotgun for deer and one for small game.  Thinks all other guns are stupid.

At the other far end of the gun owner spectrum is the Tacti-tard.  Wears black or camo fatigues to the indoor range.  Brings 12 handguns and 35 loaded magazines for each to the range.  When not shooting, he's telling his fellow shooters how they're doing it wrong and why his selection of firearms is superior to theirs.

And as Nick stated, somewhere in the middle of these two extremes resides; "the hunter FUDD (who) is the backbone of firearms ownership in the USA, as well as the FUTURE of gun ownership in the US."

They need to be coaxed over to the dark side. Just don't tell them you own a Mossberg Zombie shotgun or that abomination of a Mossberg lever-action with the plasticized Lego stock and Picatinny fitments. That's sure to frighten them away. :)

Advocation on -

Advocation off -

i think you misunderstood me or i wasn't clear enough. i love all firearms/gun/weapon/whateveryouwanttocallit from muzzle loaders to bolt actions to machine guns. fudds are assholes because they think the only guns anyone should have are the ones they like. if you want to own a gun you automatically are thrown into a political fight and fudds do the exact opposite of what most gun owners would deem common sense. and even after you explain to them why they should vote pro 2A and back it up with facts they will tell you you don't know what your talking about and go on about how 30-06 and 12 gauge is all you'll ever need. and the only handgun worth buying is a 1911 in .45. its about the mentality that, "i don't like that black gun because 'it'll blow a deer to pieces'" when anyone who knows anything will realize you cant even hunt with an ar or ak in most states because they are too small.

they are just plain ignorant and i can't stand ignorance.

I have an example of what epitomizes the FUDD mentality for me. There's a fairly decent gunsmith in south jersey who I enjoy visiting for small things, has a great inventory of collectibles and does good work. HOWEVER, he refuses to work on any black rifles because he doesn't believe they're "real guns". We can talk about gun rights all day and he gets it, however he won't fight for the right to keep black rifles......that divisive thinking is what I think of when I hear FUDD.

I have an example of what epitomizes the FUDD mentality for me. There's a fairly decent gunsmith in south jersey who I enjoy visiting for small things, has a great inventory of collectibles and does good work. HOWEVER, he refuses to work on any black rifles because he doesn't believe they're "real guns". We can talk about gun rights all day and he gets it, however he won't fight for the right to keep black rifles......that divisive thinking is what I think of when I hear FUDD.

What if you put pink furniture on it?

What you FAIL to realize the hunter FUDD is the backbone of firearms ownership in the USA, as well as the FUTURE of gun ownership in the USA.

Is that the case? The numbers show a steady decline in hunting licenses.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/license_sales70-13.pdf

Nappen was saying that CCW permit holders are replacing hunters as the future of gun ownership in the USA. I would agree with him.