tuktuk

buying / building 9mm lightweight complete upper

what are the best options on the market ? is it better to buy one or build one ? any tips appreciated ...

PS it will go on the lower that takes glock mags if it makes a difference for u gens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since those glock lowers just came out from lone wolf that will be most peoples suggestions. However, I built mine with the CMMG colt style lower and a YHM barrel. Accurate as a muthafugga, no complaints about the rifle. BIGGEST complaint....dinky ass 10 round colt style mags

If you're going for a lightweight build, you;re going to have to put something custom together yourself. A few things i can recommend are these:

The Anderson slick side lightweight stripped upper receivers are on sale at Aim Surplus and are cheap and very light.

Get a 9mm blowback barrel and have a gunsmith turn it down to a .625 profile and it will be very light.

Add a carbon fiber handguard or use the new MI keymod or BCM Keymod handguards (the current lightest aluminum) to wrap it up.

this is the only lightweight upper I cud find so far >>>

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=304

I heard good things about these guys ...

gonna do "building one" research . Thank u Jon

Never understood the lightweight thing. Nobody is carrying it for extended periods of time. I know it may point faster but if you train with it that would happen anyway.

I understand what u re saying but ... since I don't get to go as often as I want to the range when I do go it's a whole day event and I can easily put between 500 and 1k rnds down the pipe of one particular rifle ... and at some point later in a day that extra weight does count , at least for me ....

Never understood the lightweight thing. Nobody is carrying it for extended periods of time. I know it may point faster but if you train with it that would happen anyway.

It's a novelty for most in the real world and one of the big negatives is fragility, but lighter weight has a large degree of usefulness in competitive action shooting. Plus its paving the way to some really cool developments.

Just remember, there is no free lunch.

You drop weight so the rifle is more comfortable to carry and arguable "drives" faster but you lose some ability to suck up recoil which increases your split times and the gun becomes more fatiguing to shoot as it takes more energy to control.

There is a sweet-spot - but it is different for every shooter as recoil is such a subjective animal.

That is very true. Balancing mass with recoil is important, but with the adjustable gas pressure, low mass recoil systems that we have out there, you can compensate and keep the overall recoil of the system balanced with its overall mass. Without that, these ultra lightweight builds would be much more uncomfortable to hairy to shoot.

My ULW 5.56 rifle weighs under 5 lbs, but with the ultra lightweight recoil assembly and adjustable rifle length gas system, it recoils softer than a gun weighing much more than it.

With that in mind, if you cannot balance your the recoil of the system to the mass of the gun, it may not be wise to go all out and build a 3-4lb rifle.  In the case of a blowback 9mm carbine, it is going to slap even harder on the recoil and be prone to muzzle dip if your'e running a ultra heavy buffer system to soak up the blowback energy in a very light gun.