4tech

Meadowlands NJ shooting?

I recently moved to North Arlington and frequently hear what sounds like gun fire coming from the Meadowlands (could also be Kearny). I've fired a few automatic weapons and some nights thats what it sounds like.

Is anyone aware of a range of club down the meadows? It sounds like its off the Belleville turnpike/rt 7. I've gone driving around down there but havent found anything.

I know Bullet Hole is down the other direction but this is coming from the meadows.

I'm try and get some audio...

Thanks.

My first thought was some sort of police training range. I cant imagine the residents putting up with the constant noise from a business. :(

I only mind bc I cant go shoot there...an outdoor range at my doorstep would be awesome :D

I used to ride my ATV and dirt bike in that area. Really fun, especially racing the NJ Transit train that runs through the area. Lol

Same here. Grew up riding dirt bikes all through the swamps , Kearny all the way to Rutherford . I don't know how old you are , but I am talking 1979 to about early 1990's. It is all built up now . The Bird Sanctuary in Lyndhurst was a favorite spot.  

JCPD has a range in the back of the kearny generating station in the marshes. Maybe its them

That is exactly what you are hearing. I use to live near there.Now I live on the other side of town in N.A , by the Passaic.I sometimes hear gun fire too , only at 3am coming from the other side of the river . And the rice burners racing on Mc Carter's Hwy . And the occasional wreck :/

and we sometimes have to deal with this in North Arlington/Lyndhurst , this was last night

http://www.northjersey.com/news/police-shoot-suspect-in-rutherford-after-car-chase-through-bergen-county-1.1088853

If power ever goes out for more than 10 days , priority number one is to blow the bridges lol

I spoke to some old timers in the neighborhood who confirmed pd shooting range.

He even told me a story of how they light up the meadows with spot lights and shoot the rabbits/raccoons/etc...no better way to practice on a moving target.

Jersey City's is near the loop for 15X on the NJTP with access road near the PSEG plant on Van Keuren and Westside ave. There is also some access road's from Conrail property and also from Laurel Hill county park in Secaucus. The North Arlington PD range is off of Belleville Tpk and Baler rd. And there is also a North Bergen PD range @ 83rd and Westside Ave.

It is a real shame there isn't a public range in the Meadowlands.  All of that open space!  So many people in the NY/NJ area who could use it!

+1 Can we start a community range in that area? I want a outdoor range that isn't a 45+ minute drive.

It would sure require a lot of work and money to cut through all the red tape that would be involved.  I kind of hoped that if the Cabelas opened in the Meadowlands it would spike demand enough for someone to open a range.

Remember "Encap"?  Those golf courses that were supposed to be on top of landfill, that ended up financially collapsing?  I bet that land would be perfect for a range.  I wonder who owns title to that land now.

A lot of guys waterfowl hunt in the marshes there. Its loaded with Duck and geese. I have a few buddies that slaughter them out there. September goose is open from the first to the thirtieth. No plugs in the gun and most guys are shooting semi autos with 3-1/2" shells. Duck begins in October.