wink-_-wink

LOL NJ Gun Buybacks!

So I read this article on NJ.com about a bill to force more gun buyback programs!  The bill A2895 would require 9 per year!

"One program in each region would be hosted in an urban area with a high crime rate."  This part makes me kind of chuckle.  Like do they think the gang bangers are going to just be like hmmm let me turn in my piece for a little bi of money?  Only in Jersey!

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/09/nj_assembly_passes_bill_to_create_statewide_gun_buyback_program.html#incart_river

They are probably creating this law to set up an infrastructure for future confiscation.   we will probably be required to turn in any gun and freedom related books at the same time so the legislature can burn them in a ceremony at the collection points.

I don't know what criteria they use to establish the payout amount.  Anyone?

I had a few old busted pistols that were found in a sock drawer of someone in the family who died.  I had them appraised and they turned out to be more or less worthless and not worth getting repaired.  They suggested I wait until the next buyback and cash in there.  So i was wondering if I turned them in, would they set the payout according to functionality or just a flat fee per gun?

we should organize and sit across from it with a sign saying we will buy!  I'm in to do this

I've thought about this, but NJ's "illegal everywhere unless exempted" legal structure makes this risky for the seller.

If the seller goes straight to the buyback location, then they're supposedly immune to illegal possession.

However if they deviate to meet with you (a potential buyer), likely outside the grounds of the buyback location since the police would probably "discourage" any sellers from "loitering" at the buyback point, then there's a potential for arrest charges:

- handgun: illegal possession outside of exempted location or going directly to/from, unless the seller has a CCW (and you know what the chances of that are).

- long gun - same as with handgun, unless the seller has a FID.  In that particular case (Seller has a FID, and presumably the buyer does as well), you might be able to transact legally.

I "heard" that NJ Attorney General  has not done any more buys backs because of the pending legislation. So if this passes will they go from using the forfeiture funds to tax dollars? 

Has anyone seen or participated in the NYC Guns for Cash program? It looks like they have a standing buy back and several precincts, 24 / 7. $100 for any handgun

http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1336/cash-for-guns-program

I had a few old busted pistols that were found in a sock drawer of someone in the family who died.  I had them appraised and they turned out to be more or less worthless and not worth getting repaired.  They suggested I wait until the next buyback and cash in there.  So i was wondering if I turned them in, would they set the payout according to functionality or just a flat fee per gun?

they pay a flat rate for different types, functionality hasn't played a part in last ones

They cannot fire it there so they will assume it is functional.  They would charge you as if it was functional if you were walking or driving around with it!

I object to the label "buyback".  It implies something that is not the case.

"Buyback" implies that the government owned the gun in the first place, and wants it back.  That is false.  Aside from military surplus guns (a very small proportion of privately owned firearms), the government never owned these guns in the first place.  Most guns were built for, and initially sold to, the ordinary citizen, and were intended for the ordinary citizen to own.  So these are simply gun buys, not gun "buybacks".

To call it a "buyback" essentially implies that the government was the rightful owner of these firearms in the first place, and that it is justified in recovering possession of these guns, which is completely false.  The government never had any property interest in these guns at all.

Always be on guard when those who advocate gun bans seek to bend language and set the vocabulary to serve their purposes.

What happens if someone shows up with a firearm and rejects the cash offer? Will they be allowed to leave or will they be arrested for tranporting out of the exemptions if they try to leave and drive their gun back home?

You don't transport out of the exemptions in jersey. You possess out of the exemptions. Possession is illegal by default. Jersey simply allows you an exception to possess while transporting just like they allow an exception to have a gun in your home, provided you acquired that gun in a way you can prove to NJ was legal.

They are checked for use in any crime before destroying them. 

And what do they do with them?  Put them in a evidence locker marked with the name of the area.  Great.  Try to establish a chain of possession back to a crime.  Instant disposal and cash to boot, what could be better.