illy

ATI Cavalry O/U Shotguns

Been looking at getting an entry level over/under.

So far a couple of CZs (Mallard & Canvasback), Mossberg Silver and some Stoegers are in the running. Today I came across the ATIs online and they seem like a decent shotgun for the money.

Anyone here own/shoot/have knowledge about these shotguns?

Also up for other suggestions.

Use would be shooting trap once or twice a month at most and some upland game hunting once a year.

Max budget is $700, though money matters, so a reliable sub $500 gun would be great.

Thanks guys.

Look for a quality used O/U.

Here's one: Perfect for your budget, quality top-lock O/U, suited and choked and a rugged gun for trap. would make an okay gun for pheasants twice a year. (Not a grouse or woodcock gun.)

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/82-classifieds-free/172145-valmet-o-u-sale.html

Given the budget and such, I would seriously look at Stoeger (owned by Beretta),  BIL has both a Stoeger Condor and a Fausti and with a little tweaking (he had them back bored and Magnaported), turned into great clays and field guns.  Don't like the Mossberg, in fact I have a 12/20 Combo here now that has to go back for trigger work again!  Don't see CZ on the course at all. Do not know why.

Thirty inch barrels are preferred for Trap and Sporting Clays, but may be a little long for upland game along with the weight.  So maybe compromise may need to rule the day.  I have upland gamed with my 30" RRL a little hard to swing fast on short shots.  The Winnie 1200 24" 20 fills that niche.  Not a waterfowler so nothing to help you there.

Look for a quality used O/U.

Here's one: Perfect for your budget, quality top-lock O/U, suited and choked and a rugged gun for trap. would make an okay gun for pheasants twice a year. (Not a grouse or woodcock gun.)

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/82-classifieds-free/172145-valmet-o-u-sale.html

That's a nice gun at a fair price, but...

although I know many will disagree, I almost never buy used guns. The only two that I have were practically unfired.

I know that buying used can open up selection and get you a great deal, but as I've said elsewhere, with all the amateur gun smithing I've done on my guns, I always worry the other guy is as adventurous, but even less capable.

I just picked up a used Tristar setter In 12 from a fourm member nice looking gun have not got to the range to try it out seems like a nice right lockup uses screw in chokes came with two mods a full a IC and I think an improved mod. I'll probably shoot it Thursday morning for trap let you know how I like it I think used these can be had for around 500 maybe a little less

OK I'll jump in.

I shoot trap A couple times A month, and sporting clays usually once A month.

I use A Stoeger STX O/U. Easy mod on the firing pin to fix possible light strikes. (just A turn of A screw}

I average 20 -23 out of 25 in trap. And can consistently break 40,41 out of fifty in clays.

I know the rap that Stoeger gets but I love going up against those guys with their High Dollar guns.

You can get them for under $400.00 with fees out the door.