TonyS.

Pistol Newbie and Range Work

Well guys, I'm hoping to get to the range sometime very soon to break in both myself and my new Ruger SR9. When I had NRA Basic pistol instruction we had targets at roughly 12'-15' and FWIW I was told I was doing extremely well with my shots/groupings. So since I've only short time with handguns do I start off at really close distances, see how the new (factory new) gun shoots, then move the targets out more....or...?  So...what to do. I guess there's no real method to the madness.....or is there?  Any help/recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

12'-15' is pretty close, but start with what makes you comfortable. As a rule, the closer you are to the target, the tighter you should expect your groups to be. So at the distance you are describing, I would strive for being able to at least keep all rounds in the 10 ring on an NRA B-8 target.

If you haven't yet, learn proper trigger control, and you'll notice your groups improving.

My personal opinion is to keep the targets close, until you are putting shots on top of each other.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like much of a challenge to shoot 5-7 yards, but unless you are putting every shot within an inch or two of each other, moving the target further away will not get you much.

Once you are doing really tight groups at a close range, move the target out a bit.  Going from 5-10 yards is NOT a bit.  It is double the distance.

By following this regimen and slowly moving the target further and further away, you will be surprised how quickly you move the target out to 15 - 20 yards and can drill it, every shot.

I highly recommend getting some one on one training.  The cost of training may seem high, but the savings in not developing bad habits and just wasting ammo at the range, cancels the cost out and then some.  The NRA basic pistol course is designed to give you an introduction and help keep you from hurting yourself and others.  Some one on one training will help you shoot well, at a much faster rate.

my $.02

I highly recommend getting some one on one training.  The cost of training may seem high, but the savings in not developing bad habits and just wasting ammo at the range, cancels the cost out and then some.  The NRA basic pistol course is designed to give you an introduction and help keep you from hurting yourself and others.  Some one on one training will help you shoot well, at a much faster rate.

my $.02

This ^^^^^^. After taking basic pistol, I made a point of getting one-on-one training after just a few range sessions and I'm so glad that I did.