Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

is it worth selling an m&p 9fs to buy the compact?

So I have a new permit on the way which I was planning to use on a 357 revolver to expand my caliber variety but then I started thinking.

I always wanted a compact 9 and I am annoyed with the fact that my full size m&p 9 is stuck wwith 10 round mags (thanks nj) and I could sell my fs and buy the compact which would allow me to use 12 rd mags and if I ever left nj it still co u of fit the 17 rd full size mags.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth selling the fs for the 9c or am I just over thinking myself out of buying the 357?

You may want to check out the Shield 9 ... many people who are S&W / M&P owners have commented they like their Shields much more than their M&P9C's and furthermore many have sold theirs or left idle to buy the Shield.

I recently got a Shield for every-day-carry (having moved to FL) and I simply love this gun.  Couldn't be happier.  I bought a Sig Sauer P226 MK25 in May, and the poor thing sits around idle because I love the Shield.  I can't even fit my beloved Glock 23 into the carry schedule... right now I have my Shield with my basically all day, everyday, everywhere.

just a thought, you may not care for it.

Look in the marketplace pk 90 has them for sale.

Sweet! so that makes me feel better about my full size but I still wonder if its still worth the move to the 9c tho. From what i've read the trigger on the 9c has been vastly improved post may 2013 in comparison to the triggers beforehand (like I have) AND it is more concealable should I decide to try and get my out of state CCW in the future.

You may want to check out the Shield 9 ... many people who are S&W / M&P owners have commented they like their Shields much more than their M&P9C's and furthermore many have sold theirs or left idle to buy the Shield.

I recently got a Shield for every-day-carry (having moved to FL) and I simply love this gun.  Couldn't be happier.  I bought a Sig Sauer P226 MK25 in May, and the poor thing sits around idle because I love the Shield.  I can't even fit my beloved Glock 23 into the carry schedule... right now I have my Shield with my basically all day, everyday, everywhere.

just a thought, you may not care for it.

I have considered the shield but being in NJ the need for a gun that is pretty much built for ccw purposes is kind of pointless. I think the 9c could still be used as a HD/range gun more so than the shield because if the size/capacity. I do appreciate the feedback though.

I have considered the shield but being in NJ the need for a gun that is pretty much built for ccw purposes is kind of pointless. I think the 9c could still be used as a HD/range gun more so than the shield because if the size/capacity. I do appreciate the feedback though.

Yeah I take your point.  I bought a Glock 23 back in the day, which is called a "compact" but is not really compact, I prefer to think of it as more-accurately-described "Mid-size" .. I always assumed I would carry that, CCW, in addition to it being my personal defense gun, HD gun, etc.  It was not at all compact enough for me to carry every day, especially not in Florida heat w/ shorts and t-shirts everyday.  Now I am very lucky in that the Shield is plenty of fun to shoot at the range, but I can see you not wanting it if all it's doing is going to the range.

Anyway, I love the M&P line.  Also have the new M&P 22 Compact, that is one fun gun right there.  Maybe considering the VTAC .40 , maybe.

good luck sir.

Keep the full sized and get a compact down the road.  I've got a full sized 9 and a 40c.  Each has their own purpose, one is bed side/target gun the other is a carry weapon.  When it comes to shooting I like the full sized better, but its damn near impossible to conceal.