Sign in to follow this  
Jon

The most epic independent comparison for high-end scopes ever

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

Incredible amount of data with as much or as little as you want to read. Well worth the time to browse if you're in the market for a higher end piece of glass.

Meh, the resulting order creates some issues for me. Having had hands on a lot of the scopes on the list including owning a number of them, I just cant see how some scopes placed over others. But to the authors credit, he acknowledges that you can interpret the data and come up with your own order. With that being said, it seems his order was based on performance. And there is where my issues are.

Jon, some of my problem is things like performance being scored by the  group of "disinterested" testers. I would have MUCH preferred a field of testers that actually know what they are looking at. People who know what chromatic aberration is and understand the value of color reproduction etc etc. Other wise its kind of like asking 6 people who never shot  a pistol before to evaluate a bunch of pistols and then base performance off their feedback. I do agree their is a lot of data there to evaluate but it probably would have been better if he didn't draw any conclusions. Or perhaps some favorite pics for a certain criteria. For example, take that S&B and get around a lot of bright lights and see how much better it deals with flaring and things like that compared to others. Or how scopes like the PMII and the Hensoldt will allow you to see well in to twilight where other scopes in that test will leave you feeling like your looking through a tinted window in the dark.  I see three scopes in that comparison that were spec built for the PSR contract trials. Meaning they were built to very specific specifications for a specific role. Comparing those to a scope like the March or a SFP Nightforce is kind of odd too. Just one more adder, unless your rocking a 338LM and you live in the land of 1k yd ranges, do you need, 24, 25, 27 or 30 power top end?!?!?! So really someone that is looking for a scope in this range should be well aware of the feature set that suits what he is looking for. I didn't see a lot of those feature sets represented in this test. I know I am being critical, but some of the scopes in that test are the price of used cars!!! Did you see the price on the new Henny and S&B???