Sign in to follow this  
Carcano

NJ Multiple Handgun Exemption?

I've already talked this over with a FFL but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this.

The FFL I'm using will be holding 6 handguns for me, I intend to apply for the exemption since I collect firearms (rarely shoot them) and it would...well suck to say the least to wait 30 days for each pistol (6+ months w/ paperwork and no exemption if I do it one at a time).

No, these are not "Saturday night specials" I'm interested in the Romanian TTC and Polish P-64 pistols, along with a Smith & Wesson 70's era auto loader.

My local PD can be real dick heads, when I applied for my FPID last year I was told to fill out a city form asking everything about me, my family, my house, job, etc. and that "IT'S THE LAW!".

So I'm planning on going prepared for any BS the local PD might try and pull, I have docs someone at NJ2AS gave me to print out showing the PD Chief must allow me to apply for 6 permits (or as many as I would like) and the exemption request and of I do not have to fill out separate city forms.

My FFL has the firearms coming in and has been generous enough to hold them for me until the paperwork is approved.

So, with all of that being said...

1. Do I visit the PD first and apply for the 6 permits and go to my dealer, have both me and him complete the exemption request and go back to the local PD and turn it in?

OR

2. Do I go directly to the FFL once the pistols arrive and me and him fill the exemption form out and I go to the local PD with the exemption form and apply for the 6 permits at the same time?

AFTER the exemption/permits are approved I should be able to show up at the dealer, fill out the state and federal 4473 I can walk out with all 6 at once, right?

My worry...my PD hates handguns, but I enjoy (legally) collecting firearms so if they ask for proof that I'm a collector what should I provide? what if they start the whole "why do you need 6 pistols at once?" and refuse to hear that I collect firearms? should I drag a dozen safes to the PD filled with over 100 rifles and shotguns from the 1880's to the 1960's and say "here is my collection"? lol

Any info from others who have done this or have any advice would be welcome, wish me luck folks!

I believe that the form says to apply for both the permits and the exemption at the same time, but I don't think this is absolutely necessary.

You will need the serial numbers of the pistols to fill out the forms, so you will have to wait until they all arrive at the FFL.

I had permits in progress, and then applied for the exemption, it was no problem.

Based on the dates, the NJSP approved the collectors exemption in about a week.

I believe that the form says to apply for both the permits and the exemption at the same time, but I don't think this is absolutely necessary.

You will need the serial numbers of the pistols to fill out the forms, so you will have to wait until they all arrive at the FFL.

I had permits in progress, and then applied for the exemption, it was no problem.

Based on the dates, the NJSP approved the collectors exemption in about a week.

Thanks for the info :)

So did you pickup all the pistols at once???

BTW anyone know if PD's can refuse to extend permits? let's say I apply for 8 permits and use 6 for the exemption and a few months down the road I decide to pickup something else I could have 2 permits (extra) sitting around.

Also, someone told me I do not need to pay for my prints to be done again since it's the same dept. my original FPID came from. Is this true or more money out of my pocket to the State?

Sucks how NJ makes this such a project, I can buy 100 AR's and walk out the door but NJSP can't trust us to buy vintage pistols without pistol permits

I am in the process of doing the exemption myself. You can send in the exemption form to the NJSP yourself. My town will only issue 3

permits at a time if you do not have a completed exemption form.

Wishing you luck and wish me some, too :)

It's crazy we have to obtain a P2P for each pistol.

I'll be driving the local PD crazy with P2P requests and exemption forms if this one is approved. Damn long guns take up too much room and cheap surplus pistols can be had left and right.

Apply for the permits and the exemption at the same time, and get extra permits as well. You can get an exemption after you get your permits, but there wouldn't be any reason in this instance to do so. Your PD cannot legally limit the number of permits you can receive, exemption or not. So get as many permits as you think you might use. Keep in mind that you can use a permit for a non exempt transfer before doing your exempt transfer without waiting 30 days, so you can use 10 permits in a 90 day period if you have six handguns on an exemption and you time things properly.

Also, the NJSP FIU is the only agency that approves OGAM exemptions, your local PD has no say in the matter - they only accept and return the exemption paperwork.

Apply for the permits and the exemption at the same time, and get extra permits as well. You can get an exemption after you get your permits, but there wouldn't be any reason in this instance to do so. Your PD cannot legally limit the number of permits you can receive, exemption or not. So get as many permits as you think you might use. Keep in mind that you can use a permit for a non exempt transfer before doing your exempt transfer without waiting 30 days, so you can use 10 permits in a 90 day period if you have six handguns on an exemption and you time things properly.

Also, the NJSP FIU is the only agency that approves OGAM exemptions, your local PD has no say in the matter - they only accept and return the exemption paperwork.

Great to hear, thanks for the info! :)

I moved from NJ to Florida when they started talking about the one gun a month law. I buy about 2-3 guns a month and have bought as much as 8 in two days. I bought 5 just a week ago. I like to collect and shoot guns as my main hobby so I could not stay in NJ as my guns are all new production and used for shooting,. I am not a collector, just an avid consumer. :) Life is so much better now plus no snow.

I moved from NJ to Florida when they started talking about the one gun a month law. I buy about 2-3 guns a month and have bought as much as 8 in two days. I bought 5 just a week ago. I like to collect and shoot guns as my main hobby so I could not stay in NJ as my guns are all new production and used for shooting,. I am not a collector, just an avid consumer. :) Life is so much better now plus no snow.

I'm not big on modern handguns, or shotguns, or rifles :p lol so I guess I'm one of the few

Any ideas on how long it takes to get the paperwork back from the NJSP?

I've had them go round trip in as little as 8 days, but it mostly depends on how fast or slow you PD is with sending it to the FIU. 2 -3 weeks is normal if you local PD doesn't sit on them long.

I've had them go round trip in as little as 8 days, but it mostly depends on how fast or slow you PD is with sending it to the FIU. 2 -3 weeks is normal if you local PD doesn't sit on them long.

also, do you think FIU will deny it for these firearms?

2 x P-64's

2 x Romanian TTC's

1 x Smith and Wesson 59

1 x High Standard 22lr (the non supressed model, ie the civilian model)

1 x Charter Arms undercover (38spl)

These are all 30+ years old.

I've no inside info on this but I think NJSP thinks alongside ATF on multiple handgun purchases. I bought 2 S&W Model 10 and a 32 Walther PP no problem. Don't see any problems with yours. If you're buying 6 Glock 19 that would raise questions except maybe if they were consecutive serial numbers.

I've no inside info on this but I think NJSP thinks alongside ATF on multiple handgun purchases. I bought 2 S&W Model 10 and a 32 Walther PP no problem. Don't see any problems with yours. If you're buying 6 Glock 19 that would raise questions except maybe if they were consecutive serial numbers.

That's what I thought, I'm not buying 8 of the same thing and they are collectible firearms. I've had the ATF visit me once for several AR's I purchased (2 ATF agents and a NJSP Trooper) both were nice to deal with and asked if I collected firearms or was into target shooting, if the guns were for me, etc. I had no problem with them.

They looked at the security cameras around the outside and inside of my house and well...looked very careful as to what they said and or touched but were still easy to deal with.

also, do you think FIU will deny it for these firearms?

2 x P-64's

2 x Romanian TTC's

1 x Smith and Wesson 59

1 x High Standard 22lr (the non supressed model, ie the civilian model)

1 x Charter Arms undercover (38spl)

These are all 30+ years old.

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you give them a valid reason for seeking an exemption.......... collecting is a valid reason.

What is the local PD's role in this process.

Assuming you've already got the permits in and NJSP issues the exemption.

How does the town/local PD get involved?

The town accepts the paperwork form you, forwards it to the FIU, receives it back from the FIU, and gives it back to you. The only reason I can see for involving the local PD is to keep them in the loop that you are doing the exemption.

I applied for 10 permits and all of the pistols I am buying are collectible WW1 to WW2 era pistols. So when I get the form back from the

State police do I keep the paperwork or does it go back when my FFL mails the permits to the Local and State PD? Thanks

You keep the originals. Each dealer may want to keep a copy. Also a copy can be sent with the permits to the NJSP because you know that one section doesn't know what the other is doing.

I applied for 10 permits and all of the pistols I am buying are collectible WW1 to WW2 era pistols. So when I get the form back from the

State police do I keep the paperwork or does it go back when my FFL mails the permits to the Local and State PD? Thanks

You will get a copy with the raised seal on it, your town will get a copy (or make a copy of the one they give you). When you go to use it, bring it to the dealer(s) or private seller as proof of having an approved MGE. Most dealers (I know I do) will make a copy for their records, but you will keep the raised seal copy. When the NICS check is done, the NICS people will have a copy of it in their computer already, and so will your town, so no need to send them copies of it.