DeVo225

Places to shoot in South Jersey?

Greetings all.

I am a relatively new gun owner and I am looking for a good place to practice. I have 2 rifles and I was looking for something outdoors, preferably at least 50 yards, to shoot some paper. It would have to be public, because I don't have the funds to do a yearly membership yet.

I am located in Washington Township (Gloucester County) and from what I am able to gather using njgunmap.com I don't have much choice. Is there something you guys can recommend? I am also open to driving into PA as it is only 20 minutes to get into Philly for me. Ive been to the Public Ranges PA runs, but the closest one to me is in Chester County PA which is about an hour and a half drive.

If you need any other info, I'll be happy to provide it. And for those wondering, I own and will be shooting a Mauser K98 and an 1873 Winchester.

Thanks!

South jersey shooting club in Winslow is a nice club, good facilities but pricy.

Usana in Elmer I hear I nice - no personal experience.

Bobs little sports shop in Glassboro is an indoor pistol range, limited distance, I know nothing about the current prices.

South jersey shooting club in Winslow is a nice club, good facilities but pricy.

Usana in Elmer I hear I nice - no personal experience.

Bobs little sports shop in Glassboro is an indoor pistol range, limited distance, I know nothing about the current prices.

I actually live about 5 minutes from Bob's. They do not allow rifles of my caliber due to noise issues.

Also, isn't SJSC private and NRA only?

How close are you to Salem?  There is this place....  Quinton Sportsmen's Club - Quinton (Salem) NJ.  I took their "Multi-State CCW" course to get my CCWs. They have an outdoor range. Also, for PA ranges, I'd do some research on this forum... Penn. Firearm Owners Assoc..

I actually live about 5 minutes from Bob's. They do not allow rifles of my caliber due to noise issues.

Yes, it is private and you must be a member of the NRA. That said, great place to shoot. I was spoiled there. Some of the ranges down here in San Antonio are a little quaint to say the least compared to SJSC. But I can carry my handgun to and from the range.

I live in twp, too, and I'm a member at Hagues and SJSC. SJSC is ideal for the 50yd range you asked about. Hague's is indoor 25yd and unless you're shooting a .50 BMG your caliber is probably ok there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in twp, too, and I'm a member at Hagues and SJSC. SJSC is ideal for the 50yd range you asked about. Hague's is indoor 25yd and unless you're shooting a .50 BMG your caliber is probably ok there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh cool. Nice to meet a fellow Twp person!

Um...you are an NRA member, aren't you?

Um...you are an NRA member, aren't you?

I am not at this time.

I thought most private club require you to be an NRA member something to do with the insurance. I know CJ does

Yea from my research that seems to be the case. But like I said in the OP, I'm looking for something that is public (you don't need to sign up for a yearly membership) because I cannot afford a membership at this time. I am a recent college grad and I am still on the job hunt. I need to have some established income before I join anywhere.

With your current uncertainty; I can understand being hesitant about a yearly membership to any range...even if we ignore the finances, who knows where you will get an offer from!  (Good luck with the search, BTW) 

There are a few that offer daily rates, but Telco is not one of them.  Other than being open for trapshooting on Monday nights, it is a 'members only' range. When I lived closer, I would shoot at (and had a membership) at Delran Jr Marksmen (Taylor's Lane, off Route 130, just over the Cinnaminson border in Delran); open on weekends with a 'day' rate of $25.  Take a look at their web page - http://delranjuniormarksman.com/ it looks like they are running an open house this Saturday (Sept 27).  One thing to think about, though, is at their membership rate, a couple of weekends shooting there would cover their yearly membership. 

You're right; the NRA membership is an insurance 'thing'.  For membership most ranges require it.  There are $10 discount memberships for yearly memberships available just about everywhere, bringing the cost per year to $25.  If you can afford to feed a K98 Mauser and an 1873 Winchester, you can afford an NRA membership.

With your current uncertainty; I can understand being hesitant about a yearly membership to any range...even if we ignore the finances, who knows where you will get an offer from!  (Good luck with the search, BTW) 

There are a few that offer daily rates, but Telco is not one of them.  Other than being open for trapshooting on Monday nights, it is a 'members only' range. When I lived closer, I would shoot at (and had a membership) at Delran Jr Marksmen (Taylor's Lane, off Route 130, just over the Cinnaminson border in Delran); open on weekends with a 'day' rate of $25.  Take a look at their web page - http://delranjuniormarksman.com/ it looks like they are running an open house this Saturday (Sept 27).  One thing to think about, though, is at their membership rate, a couple of weekends shooting there would cover their yearly membership. 

You're right; the NRA membership is an insurance 'thing'.  For membership most ranges require it.  There are $10 discount memberships for yearly memberships available just about everywhere, bringing the cost per year to $25.  If you can afford to feed a K98 Mauser and an 1873 Winchester, you can afford an NRA membership.

I just looked online and it looks like they have a $10 a year starter (associate) membership. I'll have to look into that. That's much cheaper than what I thought it would be.

And based on the answers I've received here, I think I'll just wait till I get some income rolling in and join a private establishment. Seems like there are alot of great places around me which is awesome.

For now though, I'll go with the option I've used before. Using the public PA ranges, specifically State Game Lands #43 in Chester County PA. It's a hike, but since I have my range permit I don't pay anything to use it which is very worth it.

Thank you very much for the advice :)