Sign in to follow this  
AdamaSys

Definition of Magazine

Many of us here use the common clip-on type of couplers to join 30 round magazines (In our case, 30 reduced to 15).  Unfortunately these aren't always compatible with 10 and 15 round magazines.  Or, if you share my preferences, the added width of side-by-side magazines is annoying and you'd rather join two low capacity magazines end-to-end.

I know of two options for joining 10 round GI-style mags end to end:

Caldwell Coupler

MagWedge Coupler

The Caldwell coupler works like the common clip-on coupler in the sense that it takes two complete magazines and binds them using mechanical force and resulting friction.  It does not modify or replace any existing parts of the magazine.  So, no obvious legal issues here...

The MagWedge, however, replaces the base plate on both of the magazines in order to join them.  This means that when connected by the wedge, both magazines share a mutual component which is necessary for proper function (the magazines can't work without a base plate).  In this condition, can the coupled magazines effectively be defined as one magazine?  If you were to take a fully assembled unit and remove the MagWedge, you would be left with two non-functioning magazines until you reassemble the wedge or reintroduce their original base plates.

This is a trivial thing to fret over, but I want to be sure I don't get hung up on some technicality before I go and join two GI mags with the MagWedge.