Sign in to follow this  
302w

M42-C1 Primers

I found about 2,000 M42-C1 primers in my grandfathers stuff. Googling has led me to a bunch of various MSDS and Military stuff but hasn't helped much. I did find this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-178755.html

What should I do with them? Load 45 ACP and 38 Special? Sell them? Chuck them?

Keep in mind... I know very little about primers as I just got into loading. 

I have decided to revisit these. I found a better link:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-53705.html

I'm really thinking about using them. I am considering using them for .38 Special and starting out with light loads and proceeding from there. 

I have been reading quite a bit about Small pistol primers vs SP magnum primers vs Small rifle primers vs SR magnum primers. I have read that using hard small rifle primers in low pressure pistol rounds can actually cause breechface erosion due to a poor seal around the primer because of a lack of pressure. Is there a way of telling that?

IF the primer material is harder than standard pistol primers, it might not show signs of overpressure correct? Because I could probably load SRM primers and show no signs of cratering or flattening out. 

I believe it would be safe with mild loads. I should probably invest in a chrono.

I have been reading quite a bit about Small pistol primers vs SP magnum primers vs Small rifle primers vs SR magnum primers. I have read that using hard small rifle primers in low pressure pistol rounds can actually cause breechface erosion due to a poor seal around the primer because of a lack of pressure. Is there a way of telling that?

I've used several thousand Remington 6 1/2 primers in light loaded 38 special. Never had any problems other than some light strikes due to the primers being too hard.

So...according to this MSDS, this has the same chemical mixture as other Winchester primers? I can't find too much on the 34 and 41 primers, but the 1 1/2 and 8 1/2 are small rifle and large rifle primers respectively. The priming material is red on mine. Is it safe to assume these are NOT corrosive?

Since these are small rifle/pistol size, can I assume these are basically the same as Winchester 1 1/2 small rifle from the MSDS? I know that is a long shot and I should still proceed with caution when working up loads.

Vlad, I do appreciate your input. However, I don't think primers would sell well as a collectors item and I don't think I could break even if I were to sell these and replace them with new commercial primers. I also don't live near anywhere I can buy primers.