Sign in to follow this  
supranatural

Gunbroker - experiences, and gotchas to look out for first time buyer?

I am looking to purchase a pistol off gunbroker and was wondering if there are any special gotchas I need to keep in mind.  The particular dealer that is advertising the pistol I want is from Northern Firearms who seem to have good reviews (A+ with 28,081 reviews, of which only 62 are negative).  I've typically bought only from established on line dealers shipping to my local FFL so this would be my first time dealing with a gunbroker dealer.

Northern Firearms is A Rockwell Arms. A well established Company. Great customer service and good prices. I have dealt with them A lot.

Just remember the 15Min. Reset rule. ( No sniping on Gunbroker)  Also Go to Rockwell Arms website and checkout the price they are selling that gun for. You might just wind up buying right off them at A great price.

62 negatives?  I'd run in the opposite direction regardless of their volume.

Considerations for all online auction type services:

Know the product and how much it's really worth.  If you setup an account on gunbroker you can search completed auctions - pay specific attention to what an item ACTUALLY sold for.

Do not get caught up in bidding and overbid (this I can tell you from personal experience).

Check feedback!

Consider alternate auction sites.  Gunauction.com has less of a selection and less bidders and often guns sell there for LESS than on gunbroker.  They also pimp the "penny auction" (auctions that start at a penny).  Be careful as I have seen guns go around and around for sale with a starting bid of say $299 and then the seller converts them to a penny auction and they sell for $329...  I know, it doesn't make sense and yet it happens!

The only time I have used GB so far was a smooth process with a gun store in WVa.

The only thing I should have done was make sure USPS put tracking on the MO I sent a it took just over a week to get there and I started to get nervous after 4 days. All worked out OK though.

I picked up a NIB XD45 tactical bi-tone for $425.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I have had only one transaction via Gunboker, but it was very successful. I bought my Mossberg 930 from them.

The site itself is fine. You just have to be aware of the merchant with whom you're dealing.

I'll vote "Aye" for the one I worked... "Independence Firearms," in Texas.

Read the details of the negatives on any seller. It's often an indication of their customer service attitude. Are they defiant and arrogant? Are they obnoxious? If so, guess what you're going to get if your deal with them goes sour... If they're polite and apologetic...

I've bought and sold a lot on GunBroker, check the sellers feedback and if possible pay via credit card. I never pay via money order/cashiers check it's too easy for someone to burn you.

Never had any problems, I've found mags/parts/etc I couldn't find from other sites on GunBroker.