Sign in to follow this  
Carcano

NJ NFA Weapons?

According to the State Police, if a person obtains a "Licenses to Possess and Carry Machine Gun, 2C:58-5" that person could own assault weapons (M1 Carbine, for example).

Is this worth trying to obtain? I'm determined to find some way to legally obtain a M1 Carbine in this State.

I understand that if I'm denied the license it could prevent me from owning firearms all together?

Any advice or don't even think about it?

Don't think about it. IIRC buried somewhere in the statutes or administration code you need to demonstrate to a judge how you having that NFA or AW weapon serves a purpose to the community. The only people I know that have gotten a permit for a semi AW are LEOS who have a letter from their chief the gun is being purchased with private funds for use in their official duties. It is made clear to them they must dispose of it or move it out of state if they retire, leave the department, go to another department where It's not authorized, or the chief revokes their authorization. The 16" barrel M4 seems to be the favorite.

These procedures were established to clarify what conditions LEOS can possess personally owned AWs by the NJ AG. Contrary to gun forum bs there have been LEOS arrested for possession of AWs in NJ.

Are AOWs described in NJ firearms laws? I've seen several sources saying they are NJ legal but never found anything here about it.

MGs we all know, must demonstrate they are needed for the safety of the community (or whatever) and must be qualified for permit to carry a handgun. But never seen anything on AOWs.

:laugh:

Carcano, if you were able to obtain a license to own and carry machineguns, why do you only want an M1 Carbine? :facepalm:

I could buy a transferable MAC and S&W M76 ;)

Or I could move...I think moving is the better option lol

Can I get a "hidden gun" AOW in Jersey with a police signature on a Form 1/4? I think most AOW shotguns are banned under barrel length. But is there a ban on regular old AOWs?

I've read that AOW's are NJ legal, just no SBR/SBS but I've been toying around with the idea of AOW's...

I know it's all other weapons but what constitutes that?

One example would be an SBS without a stock. Since it has no stock, it is not a shotgun. But because it is not pistol, it is an AOW due to barrel and/or overall length. I think most or all would be illegal in NJ unless there is a loophole (such as NJ does not define overall length properly). There are other guns like that.

Then there are guns that don't look like guns. Pen guns that don't fold (folding pen guns are largely Title I), cigarette box guns, cell phone guns (I would guess NJ banned those), folding semi-auto versions of MGs that look like radios or flashlights (because MGs would just be MGs). Anything that is small but is not a handgun or an SBS/SBR by definition, or any gun that is small and specifically designed to not appear as a gun.

If you want the official definition go to the ATF website :)

One example would be an SBS without a stock. Since it has no stock, it is not a shotgun. But because it is not pistol, it is an AOW due to barrel and/or overall length. I think most or all would be illegal in NJ unless there is a loophole (such as NJ does not define overall length properly). There are other guns like that.

Then there are guns that don't look like guns. Pen guns that don't fold (folding pen guns are largely Title I), cigarette box guns, cell phone guns (I would guess NJ banned those), folding semi-auto versions of MGs that look like radios or flashlights (because MGs would just be MGs). Anything that is small but is not a handgun or an SBS/SBR by definition, or any gun that is small and specifically designed to not appear as a gun.

If you want the official definition go to the ATF website :)

Speaking of pen guns, wonder how that would fly in NJ? I know they made non-folding pen guns in .38 and .410 that are AOW's.

I had a couple Mossberg 590A1 with 14" barrels in NJ that were Federally approved on Form 3s. When NJSP FIU did an inspection, they said they were illegal in NJ and even I could not have them as an FFL/SOT. In fact, I had to explain what an AOW was to them. They were uneducated (and still are about federal laws). After 2 days of thinking about it, they got back to me and said that they considered them a SBS and I had to get rid of them. If I pushed the issue, they would consider them as a DD, according to NJ laws. I didn't feel like fighting them over that, so I sold them out of state.

That's not AOW. Just a plain ol' .22.

Not, it isn't.

BATFE considers it an AOW, BATFE also says that centerfire conversions are AOW's if installed:

EDIT link: http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html

Flare Launcher Inserts

Classification

Any Other Weapons, only when possessed with a flare launcher

Distinctive Characteristics

Generally made of metal

I had a couple Mossberg 590A1 with 14" barrels in NJ that were Federally approved on Form 3s. When NJSP FIU did an inspection, they said they were illegal in NJ and even I could not have them as an FFL/SOT. In fact, I had to explain what an AOW was to them. They were uneducated (and still are about federal laws). After 2 days of thinking about it, they got back to me and said that they considered them a SBS and I had to get rid of them. If I pushed the issue, they would consider them as a DD, according to NJ laws. I didn't feel like fighting them over that, so I sold them out of state.

Paul, that sucks I thought SOT's could have SBS's in NJ? and the fact they would have considered it a DD if you pushed the issue tells 'ya what the State knows (or dosen't know) about firearms. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

So I guess they had to go to another SOT out of State? Not even a LE Dept. could buy them?

LEO could buy them, but I was told that I needed to get rid of them asap.

So...LE dept's would have to have them shipped direct to the dept and not to a FFL/SOT if I understand correctly.

Sorry you had to deal with that, I've spoken to some decent people at FIU over the last 5 or so months and while I ran into a few that were..well, you know, the majority were pretty helpful.

Just to clarify, any NJ FFL can have MGs. They only need to pay the tax.

If you are an FFL/SOT can you legally keep MG's after giving up the license? ie if you have pre-86 MG's in the books and close shop can you keep them without a State license?

I know a shop that closed, the owner was able to keep all title 1 firearms he had in his books.

Not, it isn't.

BATFE considers it an AOW, BATFE also says that centerfire conversions are AOW's if installed:

.22 is not centerfire.

If you are an FFL/SOT can you legally keep MG's after giving up the license? ie if you have pre-86 MG's in the books and close shop can you keep them without a State license?

I know a shop that closed, the owner was able to keep all title 1 firearms he had in his books.

Federally, you can keep pre-86 dealer samples when you surrender your FFL. Jersey, I don't know what they have to say about it. Post-May, FFLs cannot keep them without their FFL.

Why would anybody not be allowed to keep all Title I guns? Title I is not NFA.

Wow, they have stuff listed on that ATF webpage that they are calling AOW that has been confirmed by ATF or courts as NOT being AOW and simply Title I. You have me unsure about the flare launcher inserts though...

See? It's confusing. Some of those items are not AOW's and vice versa.

I have a flare gun insert (gasp!) but no launcher so I'm legal, but the letter that came with it said it would create a title 1 firearm if installed in the launcher (that letter is from ATF FTB) but another one I purchased a year or so later says it creates an AOW.

.22 is not centerfire.

Federally, you can keep pre-86 dealer samples when you surrender your FFL. Jersey, I don't know what they have to say about it. Post-May, FFLs cannot keep them without their FFL.

Why would anybody not be allowed to keep all Title I guns? Title I is not NFA.

That's what I was wondering, if I had an FFL and State retail license and 3 or 5 years down the road decide to give up both the Federal and State license could I keep a pre-86 dealer sample.

Of course, my town wants nothing to do with another FFL as the shop already in town worked something out with the local PD and zoning board to keep it that way many years ago.

Damn it, I should move back into the sticks :D

Don't think about it. IIRC buried somewhere in the statutes or administration code you need to demonstrate to a judge how you having that NFA or AW weapon serves a purpose to the community. The only people I know that have gotten a permit for a semi AW are LEOS who have a letter from their chief the gun is being purchased with private funds for use in their official duties. It is made clear to them they must dispose of it or move it out of state if they retire, leave the department, go to another department where It's not authorized, or the chief revokes their authorization. The 16" barrel M4 seems to be the favorite.

These procedures were established to clarify what conditions LEOS can possess personally owned AWs by the NJ AG. Contrary to gun forum bs there have been LEOS arrested for possession of AWs in NJ.

And.....IIRC you need an NJ carry permit to even apply for an MG license, so we all know how insurmountable the MG process is going to be.

See? It's confusing. Some of those items are not AOW's and vice versa.

I have a flare gun insert (gasp!) but no launcher so I'm legal, but the letter that came with it said it would create a title 1 firearm if installed in the launcher (that letter is from ATF FTB) but another one I purchased a year or so later says it creates an AOW.

Yeah, it's messed up alright.

Honestly, I've always been able to figure out NFA when I wanted something. An done informal (or formal) due diligence when it was questionable. I've always been confident in my decisions.

Ask me about replacement wipes for SIONICS silencers. I don't know. Never bought one.

Is a shotgun with a rifled barrel and a 10 gauge bore with no stock and a 4" barrel a pistol? No idea.

I know some of that stuff is wrong on that ATF page, but I know what is right just before I buy it or build it.