rauchman

Looking for a new 9mm

Greetings,

I have an itch for a new 9mm.  In 9mm, I currently have a Gen2 G19, Gen3 G19, Gen2 G17, G26, Walther P5 &PPQ, HK P7 PSP, '96 Sig P226, M&P40 w/ 9mm barrel and my wife's '94 Beretta 92FS w/ D spring.

I'm thinking of selling off a few things (P5, CZ75SA in .40, M&P45, M&P40, possibly the PPQ M1) to fund some new purchases.  I've applied for 3 permits (not that I'll use them all) and am undecided between some choices (in no particular order).

1.  Beretta 92 - I've recently refallen in love with the Beretta 92 since installing the D spring.  Previous to the D spring install, DA was really hard to be accurate with.  Post D spring install, it's my preferred way to shoot the pistol.  As a result, I find myself gravitating back to the DA/SA trigger in a metal pistol. 92A1 is high on the list.  I like that it has a replaceable front sight and has a rail.  Looks wise, I prefer the M9A1, but I want choices for the front sight.  Mags are cheap, and .......Wilson is playing in the Beretta game.  Lots of cool parts and what not.

2.  Sig P226, either a Combat of Mk 25 -  Either way, an SRT would go in.  I've been reading about quality issues on the newer Sigs for a while, but I'm reading more and more that Sig has gotten the message and they've revamped their tooling and are making good guns again.  Being that I've been playing with the 92 w/ D spring lately, I've also been putting in trigger time with my current P226.  I wouldn't mind having a more modern variant with a rail.  Cost gives me a little pause though.

3. HK VP9 - I've been wanting a modern HK 9mm semi for some time.  I've had occasion to shoot someone's USP9C at the range and really liked it.  I've shot a fellow member's P30, but for whatever reason, wasn't that jazzed with it, primarily with the trigger.  I understand the VP9 may be the answer.  I realize it's still new and relatively unvetted, but in my mind, this could be best interpretation of a modern striker fired 9mm.  Also, the price is desirable.  If I get this pistol, the PPQ is on the chopping block.

4. Gen4 G17 / G19 - I love my 9mm Glocks.  I've dry fired my Gen2 G19 so much without snap caps, I shattered the breach area of the slide.  Glock was good enough to replace w/ a Gen3 slide.  Anyway, at the range one of my fav pistols to shoot is the G17.  I've held the Gen4's, but never fired them.  I find the new grip shape very appealing.  I also have a Gen4 G21 and G23 and find the triggers and all mechanisms feel more refined than previous.  I find shooting a Glock well is more rewarding than most other platforms.

5. CZ 75 or P07 - These choices are the dark horse in the race.  I wish the CZ75 I have was a 9mm and this wouldn't be an issue.  I've read some really favorable reviews of the P07 though.  Not sure what mag capacity is, but by all accounts, it's supposed to be very accurate and very easy to shoot accurately.

6. Sub compact 9mm - I'm somewhere between a Walther PPS, Kahr of some flavor and S&W Shield.  Of course being in NJ, getting a pistol of this nature is impractical, but I don't have anything this small and wouldn't mind filling this niche.  Suggestions?

Thoughts???

VP9 gets my vote , i like mine alot.. highly customizable grip with side panels and backstraps, the slide "ears" are useful and don't bother me and removable if you don't like them. Trigger speaks for itself, i thinks it's about 5.5lb. shoots real well out of the box.  mag release location was my biggest concern being i shot a Beretta 96 mostly. Turns out trigger guard is a great location for me , much cleaner mag swaps with a little click as it seats. 

1500 rounds down range and not one hiccup using CCI .115gr.

It's the people's pistol! 

A few thoughts on a few listed. I too have the 92fs/D spring. What is there to say, you already know it, I love it and have the same ideas. And there now are front sight options like you said via WC and Alleghany gun Works, I'm thinking FO for my front but its already a great shooter. Keeping in mind its a combat gun yet I can elbow bench rest 1 1/2" groups at 25yds, good enough for me. A bit big and manly gun, no offense to your wife lol! bonus is the mags go with my cx4. The MK25- my son has it, I shot it and untill he gets the SRT I want nada to do with it. Sure, nice all around, has the cute little sailor sign but jeez, I practically paid the same $$$ for my 92 & P07 combined! No Sig joy for me yet. So. the P07. My version has the ext brl & night sights, came with2 15 rd mags. I like it more each time I shoot it only about 3 times so far but 350-400 hundrd rds and flawless.Maybe because its my newest hg but I keep wanting to go to it more than the others come rangetime, seems there is this mysterious drive to master it.. weird... Only poly I own.Mine is currently in the safety configuration but you can mod it to decocker only with CZ parts made for it which I did buy. If you look further into the CZ be aware lots of confusing/ mis info going on between 15/16 mags, dif models in any/all options between mags, brl, sights, backstraps...Mine is from Buds and came as i wanted. And thats my 2 cents worth.

Wow all great choices. You really cannot go wrong with any. As always I recommend renting and test driving at the range before buying.

But I would recommend: Sig 226 MK25 Desert. How hot is this?

MK-25-D.jpg

Normally I would say the Glock 19 G4, as it is a great all around 9mm. But you already have so many Glocks...change it up a bit :)

Greetings,

In doing some more research, I think I'm now more interested in the M9A1.  Didn't realize that there are some parts that don't have commonality with the wife's 92.  While the M9A1 doesn't have a dovetail front sight, it does have a beveled mag well and the front sight can be drilled.

S&W 1911 9mm - Would probably be a very cool range gun, but I barely shoot the 1911 I currently have.  And also, it's a little pricey.  If I'm going to spend that much, it would be on a Wilson Combat or AGW Beretta.

Sig Mk 25 - Yes, a very cool gun.  My buddy just bought the FDE model.

Today, right now, I'm somewhere between the Sig and Beretta.

I bought myself a Sig P226 MK25 in May ... I shot it some, kept it handy for Home Defense , but June came my CCW License and I started carrying my Glock 23 , by the first of August I had bought a new dedicated EDC gun in my Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.  I had sort of left my MK25 lying idle for a while and set about taking with me each time I went out to shoot my Shield.

I plan on going into detail on my own thread but I just got back from shooting my Shield, M&P 22 Compact, and the MK25- I continue to be amazed and dazzled  by the MK25 ... it is am AMAZING GUN.  I never have shot so accurately as with it ... Not that I am claiming to be Wyatt Earp here but the MK25 even makes me impressed with myself .  Absolutely accurate- like having a ray gun.  It feels tremendous in the hands and the trigger just feels GREAT in Single Action.  (Double Action is fine too but it's not like I sit there putting 50 rds down range in DA..) -- I mean this gun feels and shoots amazingly.

the ONLY thing I'd say is as the esteemed colleague and gentleman above showed,, I'd probably go with the Desert model.  Cerakote is a superior finish to the "Nitron" finish Sig calls Ion Bond PVD coating.  And of course it looks better.  But otherwise this gun is just amazing... I cannot knock any of your other choices but I can HIGHLY recommend the Sig Sauer MK25.

How about the Beretta PX4 Storm? Comes with the equivalent of the "D" spring installed from the factory. I could also show you how to get the DA pull of the PX4 down to 6.5-7lbs from the "D" springs 9-10lb pull.

Although hard to find at the moment, Beretta makes a PX4 Type C. No manual safety, no decocker, same pull from first to last. Its equivalent to the Sig DAK, and HK LEM triggers. I have one. One of my favorite Beretta's. Right now I'm running it with a smooth as silk 6lb trigger pull.

So many great 9 mm pistols to choose from that you cannot really go wrong with any of them. I know that I really like the 3 I have in my collection: 1) Taurus Pt 92 that is over 25 years old & does not even have the frame mounted decocker lever, just up for Cocked & Locked, & "fire". Need to manually lower the hammer with thumb while gently pulling the trigger. It can be done safely with some practice. 2) Sig P226 stamped "Made in W Germany". 3) Newest one is a Gen 4 Glock 19. I really like them because they are all 15 shot mags & I have 6 for each one. I am seriously considering getting a VP9 as my next 9. I have looked at them a few times & they are really good guns. No matter which one you decide you get, you will really like it. 

Wow all great choices. You really cannot go wrong with any. As always I recommend renting and test driving at the range before buying.

But I would recommend: Sig 226 MK25 Desert. How hot is this?

Posted Image

Normally I would say the Glock 19 G4, as it is a great all around 9mm. But you already have so many Glocks...change it up a bit :)

I got one for a buddy of mine. The gun is really nice in person. I have one in black and it shoots flawlessly

Springfield Range officer in 9mm is amazing.

if you get it before the end of October you get 3 free mags and an extra mag pouch, it also comes with a one mag pouch, holster and 2 mags.