Sign in to follow this  
Carcano

Bulgarian AK74 Legal?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ak-74-bulgarian-standard-rifle-waffen-werks-detail.html?Itemid=0

I called them and they said they can make it NJ legal w/ pinned brake and remove the bayonet lugs.

Also looking at the N-PAP they have.

Legal? it says "AK-74" on the receiver. Anyone in South Jersey that will transfer it?

Interarms has a poor reputation in the AK world. There are Saigas out there converted by Atlantic Arms. They are excellent.

I know the Saigas are great, shot a converted one a liked it but for the price $$$ it's off the list.

I can't see why the Bulgarian stamped AK-74 is a no-go, two guys are willing to transfer it and based on Title 13, Chapter 54 (NJSP website) all "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" are banned (ie WASR, SAR, etc. which are already sold in NJ) so the AK-74 stamp shouldn't make any difference.

If the guys in black shiny shoes come for the rifle, they can have it back.

I know the Saigas are great, shot a converted one a liked it but for the price $$$ it's off the list.

I can't see why the Bulgarian stamped AK-74 is a no-go, two guys are willing to transfer it and based on Title 13, Chapter 54 (NJSP website) all "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" are banned (ie WASR, SAR, etc. which are already sold in NJ) so the AK-74 stamp shouldn't make any difference.

If the guys in black shiny shoes come for the rifle, they can have it back.

with all due respect brother... They gonna come for the rifle ... And they are gonna come for you ... is that really worth the risk ?

there are plenty of options without AK being stamped on the receiver ...

MAK is the only AK based rifle that was deemed legal by NJ court ... and that's after the owner was charged with possession of illegal firearm, went through hell and spent a lot of money ...

any volunteers for going through that again ?

with all due respect brother... They gonna come for the rifle ... And they are gonna come for you ... is that really worth the risk ?

MAK is the only AK based rifle that was deemed legal by NJ court ... and that's after the owner was charged with possession of illegal firearm, went through hell and spent a lot of money ...

There are enough vendors here that feel confident selling AK pattern rifles. Their butts are on the line as well. I have seen the State Police inspectors in Shore Shot when they have WASRs and Saigas hanging on the wall. I understand being conservative with respect to NJ gun laws, but do you think your stance is extreme?

There are enough vendors here that feel confident selling AK pattern rifles. Their butts are on the line as well. I have seen the State Police inspectors in Shore Shot when they have WASRs and Saigas hanging on the wall. I understand being conservative with respect to NJ gun laws, but do you think your stance is extreme?

well that's why I said >> there are a lot of other options for AK style rifles without AK being stamped on the receiver ....

I don't have an issue with WASRs (owned one), SAIGAs (owned one) and such , but he keeps saying that "AK-74" is stamped on the receiver of the rifle he wants ... and THAT I think is an issue in NJ ....

well that's why I said >> there are a lot of other options for AK style rifles without AK being stamped on the receiver ....

I don't have an issue with WASRs (owned one), SAIGAs (owned one) and such , but he keeps saying that "AK-74" is stamped on the receiver of the rifle he wants ... and THAT I think is an issue in NJ ....

Got it. I misunderstood your point. Thanks for clarifying.

Nice AKs are pricey these days. You don't want to know how much my milled MAK90 cost.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/chrislunker/C5A50F20-16E1-43C7-A493-D060BD595571_zps0z3hfc2s.jpg

Yep brother. Ever since that mess with Russia , a lot of the prices for AK style rifles got even more jacked up ... Freaking ridiculous

Yep brother. Ever since that mess with Russia , a lot of the prices for AK style rifles got even more jacked up ... Freaking ridiculous

I'm sure parts kits will still slip in, just like the Bulgarian Makarov pistols a lot of those were Russian but small changes made to hide them with the Bulgarian ones ;)

The whole thing with Russia isn't hurting the Romanian or Yugo rifles, but the Saigas are selling for 2-3 times what they were on some sites even after the Obama scare.

Lesson learned, should have bought a dozen Saigas when they were ~$300 :p

The law says avtomat Kalashnikov type. Since when does AK have to stand for that. What if I interpret as being the awesome kittens 74 model. It's no more or less Kalashnikov than an mAK

It's crazy, the SAR/WASR/ARSENAL AK rifles are OK but "AK-74" is pushing it.

What a bunch of NJ bull/

The law says avtomat Kalashnikov type. Since when does AK have to stand for that. What if I interpret as being the awesome kittens 74 model. It's no more or less Kalashnikov than an mAK

c'mon brother U know better than trying to use common sense in NJ. U're living in PA for too long .. u forgot probably already :)

plus MAK ruling wasn't about the name , it was about MAK not being an "assault weapon".

again its about law interpretation and risks that come with it.... it mite be that nobody wud care , it mite be that they wud wanna make example out of somebody .... it mite be that the judge wud listen to common sense , it mite be that the judge is a pos and throws the book at the individual.,

too many uncertainties and too much money for my taste ...

IMO, The bottom line is that the unconstitutional awb is still on the books and anyone here with an ebr could face prosecution at any time when it comes to "substantially identical ". It's all about the appetite of the prosecutor and AG to drag it through court. There are no consequences if they decide to ignore the NJAC , and I'm sure they have lots of excuses all set.

The MAK case precedent is a defense tactic that could help. NJAC are just guidelines used to make consistent SOP's and current interpretations.

It is a band-aid approach instead of fixing the law. It has mutated into a perversion if you ask me, a type of status quo between gun owners and the state. We get our ebr's and the state keeps their authority to turn on us at anytime they like.

Nj gun laws are feel good at best. Anything that says Ak or AR is bad. Any colt parts in an ar type rifle is bad. I've been told by a number of people from gun dealers to cops, if it says Ak or ar it's illegal, but if it says anything different the same rifle is now ok, as long as it has been properly neutered.

Just another example of gun laws being made and passed by people who know nothing about guns.

Nj gun laws are feel good at best. Anything that says Ak or AR is bad. Any colt parts in an ar type rifle is bad. I've been told by a number of people from gun dealers to cops, if it says Ak or ar it's illegal, but if it says anything different the same rifle is now ok, as long as it has been properly neutered.

Just another example of gun laws being made and passed by people who know nothing about guns.

The only NJ legal colt AR is the Target Match/H-BAR (letter can be found on the NJSP website).

You are 100% correct...why take the risk?