Bully

Yup, I'm Looking for a Scope, too... Need Suggestions

So I finally purchased a mid-to-long range rifle.  It's the Ruger MK77 Varmint/Target.  Salt and pepper laminated stock with matte stainless action and barrel.  The barrel is a 26" heavy barrel.  I picked it up the other day from my LGS and I have to say that I am very pleased with the fit, feel and finish.  It's a gorgeous rifle in my eyes.  I do realize that the rifle is just the beginning of this journey, however.  First up on the check list is glass(bi-pod, bags, etc. will come later).  I am betwixt and between several scopes at this time but am very open to suggestions.

This rifle will be an intermediate to long range target/bench gun.  I am going to join a range with a 300 yard range and will be taking a trip to PA next year to stretch it to 500-600 yards.  I'd like to take a crack at 1000 but that will need to wait a bit.  Anyway...

I am looking at the:

Weaver 3-15x42 with the EBX reticle.  Model number 800335.  SWFA price $582.

It has a 1" tube, target turrets and side focus.

Vortex HS-LR 4-16x44 with the Dead Hold BDC Reticle.  Model number VHS-4305-LR. Street price (Optics Planet, I think) $599. It has a 30mm tube, exposed target turrets and side focus.

Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 with the Long Range Varmint reticle. Model number LEU114412. SWFA price $549. 1" tube, adjustable objective, target turrets with Custom Dial System.

Again, I am open to suggestions however please save your typing fingers and my eyes by refraining from telling me how I should just save up and get a Schmidt and Bender or a Nightforce. I won't as they are unrealistically expensive for me at this time.

Thanks to any and all that take the time to respond.

Christopher

PS, yes Frank... I know.

Out of the three you mentioned I would go with the Vortex brand. Not a fan of the BDC reticle since it usually is designed to accommodate certain weight bullets so you will be limited in using it. I would do something more of a mildot reticle with milradian turrets.

Look at Sightron SIII as well. Their glass is very clear and you get alot for the money. Big supply shop has very good prices and SWFA will price match if you want to take them up on that. Personally I like the 6-24x or 5-25x range for my eyes and shooting out to 1000 yards.

I also recommend Vortex out of those.  Except I would go with the PST 4-16 FFP model.  If you check the various boards in the marketplace sections you can find a used one for the same price as the HS model new.  The glass is far superior and overall the quality is much better.  I recently bought a 6-24x FFP for not much more than that. 

Vortex has a lifetime transferable no questions asked warranty so there isn't any fear of buying used.

Absolute best value for the money is a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50mm. The G2 reticle is awesome but if you really want to save money just pick up a Mil-Dot version on the secondary market. On the Hide there's vendor selling them at half of the retail price.

Out of that list, I would also go with Vortex.

FWIW, I bought a used IOR Valdada 2.5-10x42 Tactical FFP for not much more than the that. These go a little higher and lower on the magnification than the comparable Leupold Mark 4 Tactical scopes - and are about $300 - $400 less on cost. However, the most significant advantage for the IOR is its glass, which has exceptional, edge-to-edge clarity and light transmission. The IOR lenses use Schott glass. Schott is a Zeiss company, which also supplies glass to Schmidt-Bender, which SB then grinds and coats to produce lenses for their Police Marksman scopes. 

All the IOR Valdada tactical scopes have the milliradian hash marks on the reticle (which is a good thing, especially with FFP placement of the reticle). 

If you want to give mine a spin, just let me know...

Before you order a scope from SWFA, be sure to call and be certan that they have it in stock. Their website does not show their currrent inventory, and you might find yourself waiting for an item. They are a good company but that is one problem with dealing with them. I think the SWFA brand scopes are a great value.

Before you order a scope from SWFA, be sure to call and be certan that they have it in stock. Their website does not show their currrent inventory, and you might find yourself waiting for an item. They are a good company but that is one problem with dealing with them. I think the SWFA brand scopes are a great value.

Will do. However their prices are only posted as a comparison. Thanks for the heads up.

I've also found another scope. It's a Leupold, 4-16x40. Fine duplex reticle, 30mm tube, finger adjustable capped turrets. 66540. Midway has it for 679. I'm liking it. Any thoughts?

C

So I figured I would close this out...

I picked up a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP Illuminated EMDR, lnib.  I hope to have it in hand in the next week or so.  It gets great reviews from those that own it and although I don't give a lot of "cred" to the media outlets, they seem to like it as well.  I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for the help.

C