Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Some questions about building a rifle from a donor receiver

I don't know where to throw this, so I'm sticking it here for now, if the mods decide to move it then it was meant to be.

So, I have a stupid dream and a probably an even stupider idea. I want to take a rifle receiver and rebuild it. In the sense that I would dump the barrel, the bolt and the stock and replace them. 

My plan (as ever as a plan could be half assed as this one), is to take a savage axis and strip it down, keeping the trigger and safety, then replace the barrel and bolt and match it to a stock. I know its a bit (read: a lot) more complicated than that, but it is my basic plan. I know it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a rifle in the caliber I'm planning on building in, but for me its about learning a new skill and knowing that I made a one of a kind piece. 

My plan is to convert the action into a magnum cartridge in the .30 caliber range (most likely .300 Win Mag). 

As for the needed parts, I know I need a barrel, a stock, and a new bolt (or bolt head). I also know I'll need a barrel vise, action wrench, head space gauge and chamber reamer. Are there any tools I'm missing? Or vital pieces of the rifle? Are there any potential issues with my choice in receiver?

I'm just in the early planning stages right now. I probably won't start budgeting for this until tax return time, so I'm in noooo rush to start this until I have a working knowledge of what I'm going to do. 

MY first thought is the Axis is a standard boltface rifle, correct? (I.E. .473" +/-) A .300 Win. Mag. needs a boltface large enough to accept a case of .540" +/- in diameter, which means opening up the standard boltface on the Axis to accept the Win. Mag. and hoping the magazine box is long enough so that there are no feeding issues either, then a modification to the ejector-plunger or extractor if it is at all feasible for proper extraction and ejection. The .300 Win. Mag. is designed to work through a standard long action but it is a tad longer than the .30-06, especially with heavier bullets.

stkimber8400_081406b.jpg

If you want a magnum, start with a magnum action with a magnum-sized boltface, it might be a bit easier.

I would be worried about pressures. You may want to call Savage and make sure you can put a magnum in that action and have it safely handle the cartridge.

My suggestion would be to find a used Remmy 700 or a different Savage in the cargridge you want to build, tear it apart and go from there.

My dos centavos.

C

I'd start with a magnum action. A number of places sell such. For example Brownells will sell you a magnum 700 action for a little over $450. As you plan to throw away the rest of the original rifle, you might as well spend money on the action directly and skip the rest of the parts.  You can skimp on many thing, but not the bit that needs to not be a hand grenade.

I would convert it to 6.5 creedmoor and call it a day. Awesome ballistics, inherently accurate, better barrel life then 300 win mag, and much less recoil. Quality factory match ammo can be had for about $1.25 a round if you don't reload.

Unless you are a decent machinist with the proper equipment you don't chamber rifles.

Just from the OP's questions I have a concern

OP- If you want to do a Savage I can get the tools and will hold your hand.

I always thought that some new barrels come short chambered and you use a finish reamer to reach the final dimensions for the cartridge you're shooting. I've been looking at Shilen barrels, and found some cool offerings that interest me. Either a special order for 6.5 creedmoor or a barrel for .243 win. So I'm definitely rethinking my original magnum build idea, in favor of something like that.

This is why I bring my stupid ideas to you guys, keeps me from being stupid! :icon_e_smile:  

I always thought that some new barrels come short chambered and you use a finish reamer to reach the final dimensions for the cartridge you're shooting. I've been looking at Shilen barrels, and found some cool offerings that interest me. Either a special order for 6.5 creedmoor or a barrel for .243 win. So I'm definitely rethinking my original magnum build idea, in favor of something like that.

This is why I bring my stupid ideas to you guys, keeps me from being stupid! :icon_e_smile:

You can get what I would call a "gunsmith spec" barrel that you would finish ream to proper dimensions or you can get a barrel that has a SAAMI spec chamber and you just need to set the headspace. I would opt for barrel number 2. No way in hell that without proper training and a gunsmith/machinist standing over my shoulder, would I attempt finish reaming a chamber. If you buy something that needs finished, best bet (in my mind) is to take it to a 'smith and have them do it. And remember, my opinion is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it.

C

So I found some large ring Mauser actions for sale. All off of old K98's. And Brownells has large ring Mauser barrels for sale!

So If those actions are still available in a few months I might consider doing a build on one of those in 25-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk